labor and delivery stories!

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2005, 04:32 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone could share their rooming experiences in the hospital when they were in labor and delivery or post-labor and delivery I guess. I was looking at hubby's insurance coverage, and we're not covered for either a semi or a private (I guess they figure the nurses should be nursing, not needing to be nursed) and it's $65 for a semi and $75 for a private per day, so it looks like I will be in a ward. Anyone have any stories?

September 21st, 2005, 05:15 AM
PIXIEDUST's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i had a semi private..didn't get a roomate til the night before they moved me to hostel..it was hard listeming to a baby cry when yours was in the Nicu

September 21st, 2005, 06:40 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
I think I might make you feel bad Do you want an honest opinion? I was in ward last time and it was awful. I had to share a room with two other ladies and ONE bathroom. And then of course everyone has their whole family in there. There was no privacy and once my little one stopped crying and I could sleep, someone else's started. This time we are covered for semi and I am paying the 25 more for private if it is available. I talked about this with the head nurse and she said though usually ward is not even full like that and the day I was there was like baby central. If I get induced I am calling ahead to see how many people are there LOL I hope that did not scare you, I am just giving worst case scenario, sometimes you end up just with one other person, that I could handle!

September 21st, 2005, 08:07 AM

No, you didn't scare me. I expected that is what life would be like on a ward. I figure if it is full and I happen to get a semi private, that will be a blessing. But at the same time, if it is almost full and I make it to the 4th bed, that will suck big time becuase the babies stay right in there with you...so not much sleep for this new momma! Everyone's babies will be waking up at different times to be fed and cuddled. But, you take what you can get. I just wish my hubby's coverage was better, stupid union! Grr. Hehe

September 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM
nat81
I had a semi private... i was covered for a private room but there wasn't any availible . i didn't have a roomate for a few hours but at 11 p.m when DD had just settled down, there came another baby... this baby was having problems breast feeding and wouldn't stop crying!!!

Anyway, they left pretty early the next day since it was her second and her doc approved it... then i had the room to myself for a while again.

If you know you won't be in the hospital long, maybe you could pay for a semi private room (if finances are okay). Just a thought
September 21st, 2005, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nat81@Sep 21 2005, 12:00 PM
I had a semi private... i was covered for a private room but there wasn't any availible . i didn't have a roomate for a few hours but at 11 p.m when DD had just settled down, there came another baby... this baby was having problems breast feeding and wouldn't stop crying!!!

Anyway, they left pretty early the next day since it was her second and her doc approved it... then i had the room to myself for a while again.

If you know you won't be in the hospital long, maybe you could pay for a semi private room (if finances are okay). Just a thought
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

the baby in our room was having issues w/breastffeding too..and he cried constantly..

September 21st, 2005, 10:53 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I had my first and second in the hospital, but the hospital here has labour/delivery/recover/postaprtum rooms, so you don't get moved. They also don't double up unless necessary and only after during the postpartum stay, BUT, you will always be given the option to go home first.

I can't imagine having to share a room, you can bet I would be on my way home! But, then again, I don't even birth in a hospital anymore and with my second I stayed what my Dr wanted me to (without signing AMA) and that was 8 hours. If I was to have another vaginal/hospital birth I would sign myself out asap after my shower.

September 21st, 2005, 10:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i shared with one girl. she was awesome.. we got along great.
she had been flown in from Kamloops because her baby was born at 28 weeks. I think she was about 18 or 19 really sweet and it was great to have someone to talk to. I actually much preferred having a room mate to 1 night i spent alone.

September 21st, 2005, 11:00 AM
mrobinson
Anyone hear about some places not allowing anyone but Hubby, and Grandparents? I guess it's so Mom can get some sleep - I've heard great reviews! (I also heard lack of sleep in the first week after giving birth has been linked with post-pardeum depression and that's why the new regulations....)
September 21st, 2005, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PIXIEDUST@Sep 21 2005, 12:24 PM
the baby in our room was having issues w/breastffeding too..and he cried constantly..
[/quote]

Same here! Then again Elle cried what seemed like the whole first night. I had gotten no sleep between her and the other babies Anyway the second night the one lady that was bottle feeding said "see ya!" to the kid and asked for them to bring her back in the morning and I let them take Elle to the nursery since I really needed the sleep. The third lady finally was convinced by the nurses to let them take her son just for a few hours and bring him back to nurse again. So we had about 2 hours of silence LOL when I woke up and went down to the nursery EVERY baby on the ward was there! They were just rocking the last one to sleep. Elle was the only one who had a "tent" over her LOL She has been light sensitive since the very beginning and still is

September 21st, 2005, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mrobinson@Sep 21 2005, 02:00 PM
Anyone hear about some places not allowing anyone but Hubby, and Grandparents?
[/quote]

The new visitor rules at the hospital I will be birthing at is Coach (in my case DH) can stay from 8AM-10PM and visiting hours are 12:30pm-8pm with no more than two visitors in the room at a time. Also NO family is allowed to wait in the hospital anymore while you labor. They had too many problems with people remaining at the hospital for hours upon hours so they nixed that. I would not want my family waiting anyway LOL

September 22nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am worried about the wards at DECH too! Especially since they are expecting a lot of births sept/oct!

September 22nd, 2005, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah1981@Sep 22 2005, 02:26 PM
I am worried about the wards at DECH too! Especially since they are expecting a lot of births sept/oct! <div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I am at the DECH too. I am sure that I will be in a ward...with lots of crying babies (including my own, I am sure). And I won't get any sleep. OH WELL! From what I understand, no family is allowed to wait in the waiting room while the labor is going on. No kiddies are allowed to visit either, only adults, after the baby is born from 8-8, fathers can stay from 8-10. That's it though. I hope I am not there long!!

September 23rd, 2005, 04:40 AM
Veteran
Dh's Are only allowed to stay from 8-10?? at our hospital DH's can come and go as they please as long as they have thier hospital bracelet and if you have a private room it comes with a cot so they could stay overnight with you.

September 23rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Originally posted by o0oSamio0o@Sep 23 2005, 05:40 AM
Dh's Are only allowed to stay from 8-10?? at our hospital DH's can come and go as they please as long as they have thier hospital bracelet and if you have a private room it comes with a cot so they could stay overnight with you.
[/quote]
Really? Which hospital is it? I'd like to get more info!
September 23rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah1981@Sep 22 2005, 01:26 PM
I am worried about the wards at DECH too!* Especially since they are expecting a lot of births sept/oct!
[/quote]

my sil and aunt both delivered there..i have heard some stories about having to bring your own diapers??is that true??

you could both drive the hour or so down here to saint john to deliver

September 23rd, 2005, 12:12 PM
Yep, it's true.
Pretty ridiculous hey!

September 23rd, 2005, 01:00 PM
drive here its all supplied

September 23rd, 2005, 02:43 PM
Veteran
The hospital that I am having my baby at and i also work at is Queensway Carleton Hospital in Ottawa Ontario

September 23rd, 2005, 04:49 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had semi-private all 3 times(and with both of my miscarriages, here you stay on the mat ward). The only choices we have are semi-private and private. Semi-private are automatically covered. Privates are $80(were $60 3 years ago).

Quote:
talked about this with the head nurse and she said though usually ward is not even full like that and the day I was there was like baby central.[/b]
#1 and #3 were baby central with #3 being worse.

#1 I was in the labour room with another woman. She moved into the case room, I moved in shortly after. She had her baby and I heard her screaming during crowning and didn't want to do this anymore.lol I had mine 4.5hours later. We were both in the same room again after that. It was okay, her younger kids came more often than I would have liked and I would have preferred being on her side of the room because it was larger and all the curtains were up so I wouldn't have flashed everyone who walked in the room.

#2 the hospital was dead. I came in at 3cm and hardly in labour and I was moved directly into the case room because there was nobody else in labour. There was 1 lady who was discharged the morning I got there adn another one who delivered a few hours before I did. We each had our own semi-private room so we basically had large private rooms. We each had our own nurse because there were 2 of us and 3 of them. They'd fight over who got to bring us meals because they had nothing to do.lol We were discharged the same day and they had nobody else come into the hospital for 3 days. That is very unusual and now(4years later) they have 200-300 more births a year.

#3 holy crickey there were alot of people in there. I started off in a private observation room, then moved to another room that only had 1 bed but was a semi-private room. The other half of the room was used for a storeage room(which you had to walk past to get to my bed). It is now a full labour/emergency we've run out of case rooms room. After I had her I was moved into next room over so I got to hear everything going on in the case rooms, excellent for getting no sleep. The worst though was the 13year old who was also in the room with me. Actually she wasn't bad but her boyfriend was. It was horrid and after 2 nights she was released and my dr told me I could go home or stay an extra day to actually get some rest. I stayed for a few hours but then I was bored and my bum was sore so I went home. Every bassinet in the hospital was full with a baby and the 2 isolettes were full, both with babies who needed them. 3 babies(including mine) had been in trouble within 12 hours, 2 of them(1 one) at the exact same time with the exact same problems and the exact same dr. Both of us had vag deliveries though mine was a surprise. The one the next morning had an emergency c-section.

They have changed the visiting hour rules. It used to be Dad and coach there at all times for labour. AFter the baby was born Dad could stay until 10 or 11 each night, but no overnights. Children(siblings only) and other visitors could come between 2pm adn 8pm.

now it is the same except for Children(siblings only still) and other visitors are now from 10am-9pm. They changed it because nobody followed the rules.lol This town is typical for that. Instead of enforcing the rules they just change them to what the people are doing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search