How young were you?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2005, 04:45 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't say I have any regrets or redo's. I have 13 nieces and nephews and I did a lot of research learning about stuff prior to getting pregnant. Also, we are very stable financially and in our relationship so its pretty good timing actually. I also wanted to me a young mom because I feel like you can relate better to your children.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

September 23rd, 2005, 07:20 AM
mrobinson
I know everyone loves and wants their kids. Maybe I should clairfy. I'm wondering about a regret about a choice in school, church, doctor's appointment, playmates or whatever else you guys could give a newbie like myself on things to avoid. (Did you start on solid foods the wrong way, breast fed the wrong way - I don't know....)
September 23rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
MamaBx3
I'll still be 17 when I deliver Shaedyn.
I turn 18 on fed 17th, and her dd is jan 30th!
September 23rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
ZanderZone05's Avatar Veteran
After i found out i was pg, my sis said mentioned her doctor. He delivered my lil bro, and my oldest nephew. I for some reason, still havent connected why, but cant stand seeing a male doctor. My family doctor is gay so i have no problem there! But i told them i'd rather have a woman, and plus the fact that it was my sis's docs fault for making my nephew premie - so that right there made me say no to him. I got into see a female and had her just for a couple of months, i wanted to get in with the doc that delivered my sis's second, she said she really liked her. But i couldnt get in with her for another 2 months after i needed to. So i got in with the other female that worked in the same office, and she was hard to understand, her accent and she always used 'doc terms' even when i asked her to explain more. So i said i wanted to transfer to the other doc and i traveled and hour to see her! We drive back here to see our family doc too. I got a good one and i'm sticking with her. I know so many other girls who have said they're afraid to switch and mess with the hassel ... but do it if you feel you need to! I really didnt want my first doctor to be the one to deliver - after being with the second - shes all i wanted! My doc said Zander waited until i knew she was on call to decide it was time! I agree and am glad.

With breastfeeding, thats all he got. I'm home all day so i have that advantage, and it wasnt until around the 3rd month where i stopped threatening to get out the formula at 2 in the morning. I stuck with it and a week before he turned 4 months he started getting cereal in the morning ... and now he gets it at night. I got so sore, and cuts that were unbearable ... from not latching correctly ... and that lasted for almost a month! But now he has one bottom tooth through all the way and one breaking ... and hes almost 5 months, so we'll see how much i want to stop again ... but i just keep in mind that its best for him ... pain or no pain! lol. both my younger nephews had such a hard time with formula ... i couldnt stand seeing him in that pain so i know breastfeeding is what i have to do....
Got engaged December 2004.
We had Zander May 2005.
Then Izzie December 2006.
Tied the knot June 2007.
September 23rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was 25 when TTC and when she was conceived. We waited until we had been married for a few years, so that we could have time to know each other, and get settled in our respective careers first. We have no regrets about our decision. Well, maybe that it only took one month to conceive1 LOL She was and is such a blessing.

So I guess that makes me one of the moms that was oldest when baby #1 arrived??
September 23rd, 2005, 08:47 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm 24 now and that's how old I'll be when the baby arrives. We planned it, although we didn't think I'd get pregnant after being off the pill for only 7 days!!
September 24th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mrobinson@Sep 23 2005, 09:20 AM
I know everyone loves and wants their kids. Maybe I should clairfy. I'm wondering about a regret about a choice in school, church, doctor's appointment, playmates or whatever else you guys could give a newbie like myself on things to avoid. (Did you start on solid foods the wrong way, breast fed the wrong way - I don't know....)
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

The only regret I have really had so far is how tough it was for my 1st daughter when the second one was born. As soon as that 2nd one is born, you are so tired (if the first one is young). I had expectations that no 2-3 year old could uphold. I was short with her, and yelled far too much. I wish now that I had sent her to her grandparents or set up playdates for her. I thought I had to be supermom, no matter how tired I was. When these babies are born, I hope I remember having said this. The most important thing I did NOT do when the second was born, was to ACCEPT HELP. It's not defeat. Most other cultures have a support system set up for new moms. One of the downfalls of feminism is the superwoman complex that many of us try to achieve. Let your mom help you, let your MIL, sisters, neigbours, or anyone else who offers.
September 24th, 2005, 07:56 PM
detk's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was 28 when I conceived my first, and 29 when he was born. He was planned and actually long awaited for. Knowing how long it would take us to conceived I would have started trying earlier.

But then i don't really regret our timing since it ended up being perfect for us.
September 25th, 2005, 07:22 AM
BunnyBun's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to BunnyBun
Quote:
Originally posted by Toban@Sep 23 2005, 08:52 PM
So I guess that makes me one of the moms that was oldest when baby #1 arrived??
Hee Hee! Not quite!
I was 29 when our first was concieved, and 30 when he'll arrive. He was planned, but we didn't expect him to arrive SO SOON! I had gone off the pill back in Dec, after over 15 years of being on it! So we thought it'd be awhile before everything was out of my system. He's due in Feb so I can't comment too much on what I'd do differently.

Well, one thing - we got in engaged in July & I wished we had of eloped right afterward! Now it's gonna look like a shot gun wedding with my big belly!! And I'd love a wedding with the sand between my toes, but I'd feel uncomfortable flying at this point- not to mention wearing a bikini! HA! And the only reason I say we'll elope is we just bought a house, so we haven't any money to put into a big wedding right now. My grandparents are very "old world" and will be upset if we're not married by the time the baby comes!!!

</div>
September 25th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was 26 and 3 days old when I had my first....

No regrets, all the mistakes I made were learning experiences, every baby is different though so I am relearning some things this time!!
<div align="center"> </div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a></div>

<div align="center"></a>
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"></div>
September 25th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was 21 when I had our first, a few months shy of our second wedding anniversary. No regrets here on our age of becoming parents, we did have to settle a few things within our marriage, nothing really big or threatening, just what our expectations of each other were. I don't know if things would have been any different if we'd been older or if we had been married longer, becoming parents does add a whole different dynamic no matter what.
And in case you wanted to know, I had our second when I was 22, our third arrived when I was 24, our 4th when I was 26. I'm 29 now, having #5.
September 25th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just read the second page to this post.

Advice? Ask your dr questions if you have them, and tell him to explain it again if you don't understand. Ask why, not because you question his judgement, but just because you want to know.

Also, as much as you love your baby, there is nothing wrong with leaving him or her behind every so often. I hear all these supermoms proclaim with pride that their kids are with them all the time, they're the only ones that take care of them.

I love love love my children, but I also love being childless for a few hours or the odd day, and I don't feel guilty about it.
September 26th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by #5in2005@Sep 25 2005, 06:36 PM
Also, as much as you love your baby, there is nothing wrong with leaving him or her behind every so often. I hear all these supermoms proclaim with pride that their kids are with them all the time, they're the only ones that take care of them.

I love love love my children, but I also love being childless for a few hours or the odd day, and I don't feel guilty about it.
[/quote]

Wonderful advise!!!
September 26th, 2005, 12:13 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Originally posted by Toban@Sep 24 2005, 01:06 PM
Most other cultures have a support system set up for new moms.* One of the downfalls of feminism is the superwoman complex that many of us try to achieve.* Let your mom help you, let your MIL, sisters, neigbours, or anyone else who offers.
[/quote]
I just wanted you to know that feminism supports the concept of a support system - that was lost in North America. It's taken a long time to reincorporate it into this society for many reasons. I take great offensive to the idea feminism is RESPONSIBLE for the lack of it. I'd be happy to start a new thread somewhere about it or you can PM me.

To everyone else, thanks so much for your valueable input. It helps! Please continue.
September 26th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mrobinson@Sep 26 2005, 02:13 PM
[To everyone else, thanks so much for your valueable input.* <div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I take it my input isn't valuable? Sorry for putting my input in. My comments were not a personal attack - but I take this comment as one. I am a woman who loves her job, who loves her family, and finds the balance between the two. I see myself as neither feminist nor anti-feminist, but as a woman who is surviving in today's culture and economy in the best way that I can.
September 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM
mrobinson
Toban, The following I find is very valuable:
Quote:
Originally posted by Toban@Sep 24 2005, 01:06 PM
The only regret I have really had so far is how tough it was for my 1st daughter when the second one was born.* As soon as that 2nd one is born, you are so tired (if the first one is young).* I had expectations that no 2-3 year old could uphold.* I was short with her, and yelled far too much.* I wish now that I had sent her to her grandparents or set up playdates for her.* I thought I had to be supermom, no matter how tired I was.* When these babies are born, I hope I remember having said this.* The most important thing I did NOT do when the second was born, was to ACCEPT HELP.* It's not defeat.* Most other cultures have a support system set up for new moms.* Let your mom help you, let your MIL, sisters, neigbours, or anyone else who offers.
[/quote]
What I do not find valuable:
Quote:
Originally posted by Toban+Sep 24 2005, 01:06 PM-->
Quote:
One of the downfalls of feminism is the superwoman complex that many of us try to achieve.[/b]
In regards to this post:
Quote:
Originally posted by Toban@Sep 26 2005, 02:08 PM
I take it my input isn't valuable? Sorry for putting my input in.* My comments were not a personal attack - but I take this comment as one.
I'm sorry if my reply was offensive. I was equally offended - maybe I shouldn't be so sensitive but throwing out the feminist movement and those acheivements is hurtful to me.
<!--QuoteBegin-Toban
@Sep 26 2005, 02:08 PM
I am a woman who loves her job, who loves her family, and finds the balance between the two.* I see myself as neither feminist nor anti-feminist, but as a woman who is surviving in today's culture and economy in the best way that I can.
[/quote]
I truely want to be apart of this support system to you and also attempt to survive in this world. My biggest beef is how many women don't support each other. I hope we can see this as a misunderstanding and move forward.

EDIT- poor spelling!
September 30th, 2005, 12:05 PM
ZanderZone05's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by #5in2005@Sep 25 2005, 06:27 PM
I was 21 when I had our first, a few months shy of our second wedding anniversary. No regrets here on our age of becoming parents, we did have to settle a few things within our marriage, nothing really big or threatening, just what our expectations of each other were. I don't know if things* would have been any different if we'd been older or if we had been married longer, becoming parents does add a whole different dynamic no matter what.
And in case you wanted to know, I had our second when I was 22, our third arrived when I was 24, our 4th when I was 26. I'm 29 now, having #5.
[/quote]

I too want many kids, 5 or 6 ... but i'm curious how you handle it. Well, better explained, how did you do it ... did you work, did he work, day care? My fiance, along with everybody else, thinks i'm CRAZY for wanting so many kids because they dont think we can 'handle it'. So if you dont mind me nosing in ... can you help me out ... or anybody else with a bunch of kids! Thanks!
Got engaged December 2004.
We had Zander May 2005.
Then Izzie December 2006.
Tied the knot June 2007.
September 30th, 2005, 01:58 PM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
i was 15... was suppoesd to turn 16 may 11, have him july 15...he had other plans and came april 28.........my advice... relax and enjoy it while you can! They grow fast. Dont sweat the small stuff

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>
September 30th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Quote:
What I do not find valuable:
Quote:
One of the downfalls of feminism is the superwoman complex that many of us try to achieve.
[/quote]
I truely want to be apart of this support system to you and also attempt to survive in this world. My biggest beef is how many women don't support each other. I hope we can see this as a misunderstanding and move forward.

My reply starts here:
I didn't intend that all feminists see this (superwoman) as them. There are women out there who do not understand that to be a strong woman, you must have a support system, and don't have to be all things to all people. I find this to be a by-product of people who don't understand the initial intentions of feminism, and are the ones who frustrate me. Believe me, I was the first one in my class as a student to put up her hand when the principal asked for 2 "strong boys" to help him. I also would point out to him that I was stronger than most of the boys in the class. Hee Hee. I was a bit of a trouble maker, but for the right reason.

Dang it! I don't know how to do partial quotes!!! Sorry if this is hard to read.

Thank you for the olive branch. I was upset for a couple of days about this (very hormonal and sleep deprived right now). I hope that we can be a part of each other's support systems.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search