Heard a rumor about the gas prices

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
Amandalulu's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The secretary for a Wilson's gas stop called my Mom and said it is currently 110.9 but is going to go to 200.9 by tonight or tomorrow.

I can't believe this. We have a almost full tank and an extra jug but we are going to go fill up and get another jug full because we are planning a drive in the woods to pick cranberries.

September 22nd, 2005, 09:43 AM
nat81
Good plan! I heard that as well and we have DD's baptismal up North this weekend...
September 22nd, 2005, 10:39 AM
plum's Avatar Veteran
I heard that, too. Looks like we won't be going away this weekend after all. Bummer.
September 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
This is such BS, seriously, it really makes me angry. They can only use the weather as an excuse for so long. How is it that the gas they have in the tanker one day is worth more the next day, same gas right? It is not like shortages will happen overnight. They have been wanting to up the gas price to around the dollar range for years. My cousin who is an electrician had been changing over the numeric gas signs to three digits over a year ago. CONSPIRACY lol Anyway just venting. I told DH to get some as we don't want to take a taxi to the hospital LOL

September 22nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
PIXIEDUST's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I heard just a few hrs from hre it was already 1.75..My question is and i hope some one can anwer it because I really do not know the answer..Why are our gas prices going up when correct me if I am wrong..we have our own oil supply here in Canada

September 22nd, 2005, 01:02 PM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
We export it to the States to their refineries is what I have heard. Apparently we do not have a lot of oil refineries here in Canada. Correct me if I am wrong? This is just what I had heard in passing. Some places here are up to 2.00/litre WTH?

September 22nd, 2005, 01:14 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
We export it to the States to their refineries is what I have heard. Apparently we do not have a lot of oil refineries here in Canada. Correct me if I am wrong? This is just what I had heard in passing.[/b]
We export it to the US so they can use it. The US does not have enough oil in their own country so they have to buy from other countries, they can get it cheaper in Iraq but it's easier to get from us. They also get our power, water and natural gas.

I don't know how many refineries are in Canada, but the one I live next to tends to have explosions now and then.
September 22nd, 2005, 03:16 PM
mrobinson
We have enough oil refineries for here - but the US will buy it crude and process there for themselves as well.

IMHO, my understanding of the prices is more out of OPEC's control.
http://today.reuters.com/business/newsarti...9&imageid=&cap=
Between the demand (stress of the war, the US consumer, the reserves for the US at an all time low, and the hurricanes stopping production - that within itself is monumental - as well as the rest of the consumers of the world) oil is at a high. It doesn't matter about yesterday to today. It's as volitile as the stocks. Tomorrow it could go right back down to 1.25 - I hope this is making sense! (Sometimes my brain can't convey it on a type writer...)
September 22nd, 2005, 03:22 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yesterday me and my boyfriend heard a rumour about them going up today, so last night we went and filled up (its only 97.7 here) then we were out today and they didn't even change!!

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

September 23rd, 2005, 12:40 AM
Get this...hehe

I heard about the price hike early this morning....on the little gas that I had left in the car I decided to take a run out to a gas station just outside the city where I know it's always 2 cents cheaper then in town. So I called my cousin up to see if she and her 8 yr old son want to come for a drive with my 2 1/2 yr old and my 7 mth old.

Getting out of town....sitting in traffic cause the line ups at the gas stations were incredible!! I burned a whole lot of gas just sitting there waiting to move!!

We get out of the city finally and my car starts to sputter...meaning I'm almost out. My cousin says lets just hope we don't have to stop!! lol Well we get to the gas station and there are about 50 cars lined up on the side of the road...Of course I pull in line and .....shut the car off....OMG!! What a mistake!! I think if I had of just stopped it would've done it anyway...

We pushed....and pushed....and stopped....waited....pushed some more...had the 8 yr old out helping...wasn't too hard...but what a story!! It was funny....we laughed about it...at least we made it to within 200 feet of the gas station before I run out!! haha! Oh!! And my cousin was wearing a mini skirt!! hehe She kept making comments about the man in the truck behind us getting a good look!!

September 23rd, 2005, 09:12 AM
Amandalulu's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Jody@Sep 22 2005, 07:42 PM
We are up to $2.00 here now
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Where in N.S. are you?
September 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
PIXIEDUST's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
there were rumors here that gas was going up but it didn't

September 23rd, 2005, 10:35 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is it actually going up that high or is that just what people are hearing?

I ask because after reading this yesterday I kept hearing on the news and reading online that the price never went up that high, that is was rumors spreading through 3 provinces. It created a gas panic so that caused everyone to run to the gas stations to get gas before it went up. This caused the gas stations to increase their price some(they said the highest was $1.46ish) partly as a way to get more money but also to discourage people from buying so they didn't run out of gas at the station. They were also saying that the towns closest to the border were the ones who had more of this going on. I heard this from many different sources, of course all news ones so I'm not sure whether it was true or not.

I told dh anyhow and he had just topped the car up so it didn't need gas, his truck was at 1/4 tank gone so he filled that up and the jerry cans becuase he's going up north to go quadding this weekend and needed gas for those anyhow. He put 60litres in, which was more than what I had told him that i had put money away for. We have a UFA card and get discounted gas.
September 23rd, 2005, 10:45 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
We are still at 99.9 (posted price) here, and of course, the discount is applied at the pumps. No increase at all, we have been at 99.9 for about a week.

September 23rd, 2005, 11:12 AM
mrobinson
Truthful, I haven't been paying attention because we just filled up!
September 23rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
MamaBx3
These prices are crazy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search