Question about hospitals

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2005, 12:37 PM
kayzie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to kayzie Send a message via Yahoo to kayzie
Hi...I dont think I have posted over here yet. I am a Canadian mom of two and pregnant with number three. My first two babies were born in Oklahoma (my husband is from Oklahoma) and I havent delivered in Canada before.

I live in Hamilton, Ontario and I am wondering about Ontario hospitals and what they supply...and what I need to supply

In Ok the hospitals supplied everything and even sent us home with diaper bags, diapers, formula, lotion and baby bath and wipes....I heard from a friend that delivered here that I have to bring EVERYTHING to the hospital myself unless the baby is in the NICU (which I REALY hope is not the case)

Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Thanks

Khadra
September 23rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
PIXIEDUST's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
its up to the individual hospital i think..

September 23rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Depends on the hospital.

Generally speaking, a lot less than an American hospital, BUT, in the US your insurance company is charged for each thing so it isn't 'free'.

Here, you can wear hospital gowns, use their towels, soap, cloths, toilet paper. They have chux pads and maxi pads, mesh underwear. Diapers for baby, formula...

It is best to bring your own. My opinion is that although they have samples (given to them by companies) if you can afford your own, supply your own... At least that is the way I see it.

In reality, all you need is maxi pads, diapers, and some hygeine products unless you are not breastfeeding, in that case you need formula, but it isn't like you aren't expecting to pay for it anyway and you may not want to use the brand at the hospital or your baby not be able to eat that brand...

September 23rd, 2005, 01:14 PM
I definitely dont think it is a problem to supply our own stuff, but I had no idea. The hospital my friend was at told her to bring blankets for baby and her own diapers, formula if she was formula feeding etc...It's not that we wont have the stuff we need, it is just a lot of extras to lug to the hospital.

And this is new to me so I wanted to hear what others knew about it.
September 23rd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The best thing would be to call the hospital you'll be delivering at and ask them.

Blankets seems a little odd to me, here the babies are in 1 gown(that is made to fit a 15lb baby) and then 2 receiving blankets. Then when they're in the bassinets they have another 1 or 2 blankets on them.

The hospital here has everything. They use enflac formula I believe, I've never used it I just think that's what I saw. If it wasn't that it was similac. They use disposable diapers now, but the last time I had a kid here(3.5years ago) you could ask for cloth if you wanted. Alot has changed here since I had my youngest. They no longer allow you to walk the baby in the hospital unless you're in your room. You have to put the baby in the bassinet and wheel that around. One of the new obgyn's came from a large hospital and had this pushed through for security reasons. IMO getting the umbilical cord clamps with security alarms in them would make more sense, but then this hospital can't afford to patch the walls much less put in a security system. They also only have rooming in(actually they may have had that with my youngest) unless the baby needs observation. They have 2 birth balls now, 2 years ago they had none, but they don't like to bring them out or ever use them. Same with the squatting bars, some of the nurses didn't even know they had them until I pointed it out during a prenatal class I was observing.

While you're on the phone with the hospital, ask the other rules too ie labour allowances, rooming in, walking the halls, etc.
September 24th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Natural Blessings@Sep 23 2005, 07:33 PM
The best thing would be to call the hospital you'll be delivering at and ask them.*

Blankets seems a little odd to me, here the babies are in 1 gown(that is made to fit a 15lb baby) and then 2 receiving blankets.* Then when they're in the bassinets they have another 1 or 2 blankets on them.

The hospital here has everything. They use enflac formula I believe, I've never used it I just think that's what I saw. If it wasn't that it was similac.* They use disposable diapers now, but the last time I had a kid here(3.5years ago) you could ask for cloth if you wanted.* Alot has changed here since I had my youngest.* They no longer allow you to walk the baby in the hospital unless you're in your room.* You have to put the baby in the bassinet and wheel that around.* One of the new obgyn's came from a large hospital and had this pushed through for security reasons. IMO getting the umbilical cord clamps with security alarms in them would make more sense, but then this hospital can't afford to patch the walls much less put in a security system.* They also only have rooming in(actually they may have had that with my youngest) unless the baby needs observation.* They have 2 birth balls now, 2 years ago they had none, but they don't like to bring them out or ever use them.* Same with the squatting bars, some of the nurses didn't even know they had them until I pointed it out during a prenatal class I was observing.

While you're on the phone with the hospital, ask the other rules too ie labour allowances, rooming in, walking the halls, etc.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Thank you
Im hoping to have a tour of L&D and the ward that I would be going to after, but I was just curious.

In both hpspitals I delivered my daughters at you couldnt carry the babies in he hallway, they had to be pushed in a bassinet. Actually with my second daughter my MIL was pushing the bassinet and I was walking beside her and a nurse stopped us and said only I could push it. I thought that was a litle extreme since this was the baby's grandmother and I was right there!!

Anyway thanks for the reply and all the info
September 25th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my babies in two different hospitals, the most recent one I was at told me I was supposed to bring my own diapers and made a huge deal about it!!!
<div align="center"> </div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a></div>

<div align="center"></a>
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"></div>
September 25th, 2005, 08:02 PM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Quote:
Originally posted by kayzie@Sep 24 2005, 08:25 AM
In both hpspitals I delivered my daughters at you couldnt carry the babies in he hallway, they had to be pushed in a bassinet. Actually with my second daughter my MIL was pushing the bassinet and I was walking beside her and a nurse stopped us and said only I could push it. I thought that was a litle extreme since this was the baby's grandmother and I was right there!!
[/quote]

That is kooky! DH and I walked all over the PP ward with Elle. I am in Brantford, not far from you actually! Anyway at my hospital they supplied diapers and wipes. I brought my own anyway as I brought a diaper bag stocked to take home baby. But while I was there I used their diapers as I figured why not? I brought some maxi pads for the ride home as I could not imagine wearing the jumbo pad home LOL and they did supply frozen maxi pads while you were there....ahhhhh those things rock for your sore tush LOL Like someone else said I would call and ask the hospital or better yet see if you can get that tour of L&D. I just had one with the hospital as they have changed everything in the two years since I have had Elle.

September 25th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
all i used was their pads and gowns.
i ended up stealing a few packs of their pads as well as the first blanket they wrapped Marissa in and the first gown she wore.. (shhh)

September 28th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
The hospital here supplied everything and you got to take everything home that you didnt use (other than the gowns and towels)

September 29th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Thank you ladies
I definitely want to do the tour. I was just curious. I was thinking about it and I know I will bring lots of stuff anyway, but I dont think there is any reason the hospital cant supply basic necessities!

Tiggy...we got to take home the things that were supplied in our room but we didnt use as well in the US.

Heffalump....We took burp cloths with my second daughter. They were really nice...SHHHHH

Christa...nope you arent too far from me
September 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
CanuckGal, I was discharged 3 hours with my son as well... its hard to take anything, lol. Because the midwife is in there with you taking care of you, taking care of the baby, taking care of paperwork and doing a bit of putting away, etc. I think the only time she left was for a couple of minutes to get the healthcard and paperwork for me to sign.

September 30th, 2005, 05:10 AM
3 hours???
Are you delivering in a hospital? By dr or midwife? Is that standard proceedure in Canada?

Um I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old...I need a night or two in the hospital to recouperate!! It is like a mini vacation for me!
September 30th, 2005, 06:37 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Quote:
Originally posted by kayzie@Sep 30 2005, 08:10 AM
3 hours???
Are you delivering in a hospital? By dr or midwife? Is that standard proceedure in Canada?

Um I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old...I need a night or two in the hospital to recouperate!! It is like a mini vacation for me!
[/quote]

LMAO Yep it is a mini vacation for me too! I will be there the two days! Last time they gave me the ok to leave at 24hrs but said I could stay on if I wanted to...I stayed LOL This time with little or NO help at home, I am defintely staying. I am not one of those lucky people who has their Mom coming to stay or whatnot I wish!

September 30th, 2005, 07:25 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Originally posted by CanuckGal@Sep 30 2005, 07:31 AM
I'm delivering in the hospital but with a midwife so apparently it's standard procedure as long as everyone is healthy. I'm not using any medication so I think that makes a difference too. At first, I was a wee bit shocked and concerned by that but I know that I'm in good hands and that they wouldn't let either of us go unless we were both 100%. Now the only thing I'm worrying about is where to fit all the visiting family! I figured I wouldn't have to worry about it if they were just hanging around the hospital for a day or so
[/quote]
Girls, I don't have the study in my hands right now, but I know that if the first week, you limit your visits and interuptions - AND SLEEP, it dramaticly reduces the risk factor of post-partum depression... I only bring it up to encourage everyone to sleep, sleep and sleep some more!
September 30th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Sleep? I havent slept since my three year old was born.
Im at risk for PPD because I have generalized anxiety disorder and I have suffered depression a couple times. I plan to go on paxil or prozac when the baby is born. I should be on it now, but I have decided to try to get by without.

Christa...I have no help at all either. My husband may take a couple days off after I come home from the hospital to look after my girls, but other than that, I have no one. My mom doesnt help and neither does the rest of my family. I have no idea how I will cope. I really truly need a couple nights rest at the hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search