BC Medical

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Miranda and Maria's mommy's Avatar Not Mike's girl
Thanks in advance to those who can suggest anything and I mean anything...

My DH and I recently moved from Ontario to Kamloops, BC--we have to be here for 3 months in order for us to qualify for BC medical....Nov 1, we'll be good to go...

I am about 6 days late and if I am pregnant I should get to a doctor before November 1. I would be about 8weeks (from LMP) at that point.

I have several symptoms in my favour right now. After POAS all BFNs....this is the same as my last pregnancy--all HPTs came out negative....only the blood work at the doctor's came back positive...My doctor (back in ON) told me that I was the .05% that the HPTs don't work for. I think I may purchase some various brands--who knows, something may work...My ON green health card expired last month on my birthday so I can't use it here.

OK, knowing all that...My questions are:
*Should I wait until November 1st to go to a doctor (if I actually am pregnant)?
*Are there any 'free clinics' that will do the bloodwork here? I am not working, don't know the city at all and my husband works out of town, do places like this exist in this province?....
*Can I just go to a clinic and pay $$ to get the blood work done?

BC is a completely different country than Ontario....I have no clue that we have to pay every month for health coverage....its a joke (IMO!) Sorry, I'm feel really frustrated that I can't get an answer for people who have lived here all their lives (not you all, but my useless inlaws!) Added to that, every website I visit concerning this matter keeps sending me back to the same useless pages with every click....I can't get any decent answers anywhere....

I don't wanna put this pregnancy (if it is) at risk....any suggestions....?

thanks again....
Diane

If I'm not here, find me on that other website
October 5th, 2005, 07:21 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Call BC Medical, they will have a # in the phone book. They will get you a card. If your employer doesn't pay for it, they will bill you monthly.

As for an early prenatal appointment, you shouldn't need one, unless you want one for peace of mind. In reality, unless you have major issues, the Dr will do nothing for you.

You can go to Birthright or Planned Parenthood for a free pregnancy test (I believe they are just pee on a stick kind), it isn't common in Canada to have blood tests.

Good luck with it all and don't worry, as long as you are healthy, your baby would be fine. In reality, the baby will take everything s/he needs from your body (all vitamins, minerals, etc) so the baby will not lack, only your body might, and even then only if you have an extremely poor diet.

October 5th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Super Mommy
WELCOME TO KAMLOOPS!!!

I have lived here most of my life.

Okay to answer your questions - No, I would not wait until November 1 to go to a doctor - too exciting!! What I would recommend is calling a clinic (try Summit Medical 374-9800) and tell them your story. Usually the ladies who work the desk are very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of BC Medical. They could give you the forms to fill out to register and let you know when you can go in for a visit, if it would be covered and if not, what kind of costs you'd be looking at. Then you at least have a starting point. Also - FYI - MSP premiums (aka BC Medical) are $108/mo for myself, hubby and daughter.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help, but hopefully if you call the clinic, they can fill you in some more.
October 5th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unless you are a high risk patient, most dr's will not see you until you're 10 weeks anyhow. They like to wait until they can possibly find the heartbeat. By waiting you are not putting the pregnancy at any risk.
October 5th, 2005, 04:44 PM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about seeing a doctor before November either... this site might help you:

http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/...ben/index.html
October 5th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...I'll look into them just now...

Mamahubb--Someone is actually from Kamloops?!?! I thought I would be the only one...thanks for the number--I will call them tomorrow and see what they say...Summit is fairly close...I'm in Aberdeen....

October 6th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i never had a problem when i moved from ontario.

October 6th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by pyungtaekgirl@Oct 5 2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...I'll look into them just now...

Mamahubb--Someone is actually from Kamloops?!?!* I thought I would be the only one...thanks for the number--I will call them tomorrow and see what they say...Summit is fairly close...I'm in Aberdeen....
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

We also have a maternity clinic here in town - don't know why I didn't think of it yesterday. It's located right in RIH. If you are new to town, you might want to go there. You see different doctors throughout your pregnancy, but then are pretty much guaranteed one of them will be there when you go into labour. Also, you could try to sweet talk one of them into taking you on as a regular patient after kiddo arrives.

So are you going to school here or working?
October 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM
My DH is orginally from here and we decided to move here after he was offered a job here...Currently I am not working or doing anything for that matter! Hopefully find work soon...thanks so much for the suggestions...I really appreciate it. Feel free to PM me anytime...

October 10th, 2005, 10:54 PM
BunnyBun's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to BunnyBun
Dunno if this is too late, but......
I moved to BC from Ontario (I'm back in Ont. now tho), and found out when I moved that my Ontario health care covered me for the first 3 months in BC. So you "should" be able to go to a doctor's office & give them your Ontario health card. You don't have to wait till Nov. You can at least get them to do the blood work to confirm your pregnant! Also remember, if you return to Ontario (or move away from BC) you have BC coverage for 3 months after you move, but you have to reapply for OHIP (or whatever provincial healthcare). Noone told me that, (I'm naive?) so I got a surprise when I went to an Ontario doctor's office! Hope that helps & good luck!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search