Erin

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2008, 03:46 PM
Melz's Avatar Team Edward
Just wondering what kind of farm do you guys have??
How did DH get involved with farming? Was it in the family?
Whats the best and worst thing about living on a farm?
Have you always lived on a farm your whole life? if not was it a hard adjustment?
How far away from a city do you live?

Sorry I just had to ask.. Hope you dont mind...

January 31st, 2008, 07:26 PM
SAHM and scrappymommy
Bump for Erin!
January 31st, 2008, 08:25 PM
4boys
Hey, no problem!

Just wondering what kind of farm do you guys have?? It is a grain farm, we grow barley, canola and edible beans like blacks and pintos, but this year I think DH wants to expand and possibly do wheat and sunflowers.

How did DH get involved with farming? Was it in the family? Yes, he grew up on this farm. He and his brother are currently renting all the land from his dad. We live in the house he grew up in. So we are slowly taking over; his parents have moved to town and his dad enjoys being semi-retired, although he is still around for advice, etc.

Whats the best and worst thing about living on a farm? Hmmm....it's hard to pick just one best thing. I love the fact that DH doesn't leave to go to work, he's always on the yard if he's not on the field in spring or summer. If I really need him to stay inside, he can. I grew up on a farm also so I just love it. I love that DH is independent and self-employed, he can do things the way he wants. He is also a very inventive person which is an inherited trait, so his dad, brother and him have built tons of custom machinery and stuff. I also love that my boys will grow up the way he did and learn all the hands-on useful things DH did. The worst thing....well, there are times when DH is gone A LOT, like during seeding and harvest. Sometimes he swaths all night and then works all day with hardly any sleep in between. And sometimes it is hard to provide meals for him and whoever is helping him on the fly! But those to me are very minor inconveniences; the pros definitely outweigh the cons!

Have you always lived on a farm your whole life? if not was it a hard adjustment? Yes, I grew up on a farm so it wasn't a hard adjustment at all. However when I was growing up, my dad did all the farm work and it didn't affect me all that much. It's different when it's your husband, I feel much more involved now even though I don't physically do any farm work. I'm the support staff!

How far away from a city do you live? Well, it depends what kind of city you mean! We have two towns close to us, one is technically considered a city (Winkler, MB) , it's 20 minutes away but it's really small. But it has everything we need like a Superstore, Walmart, etc. We are about an hour outside of Winnipeg so that isn't terribly far away either. We actually don't go to Winnipeg very often for anything, other than to visit family because my sister and grandma live there.

Any particular reason why you are asking? Or just curious? I don't mind either way, I was just wondering.
January 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
Melz's Avatar Team Edward
Very cool. Nope no reason I just read on your blog that DH farmed so I just never knew anyone who was a farmer so I didnt know anything about it. For me it would be a hard adjustment since Ive always been a city girl so Just wondering if you were a city girl as well.

Im Just being nosey Do you have any animals beside the mouse in the bike

February 1st, 2008, 07:15 AM
SAHM and scrappymommy
Very cool Erin!
February 1st, 2008, 09:46 AM
4boys
Nope, no animals. We are animal haters. Just kidding. And yeah, the mouse was dead.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search