Another ques for moms

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have researched so much on L&D, but what I cant find is what the hospital staff actually DO while you're there in labour. Like, what exactly do they do when you first get there and they check you to see how your labour is doing? Is it just an internal? How often do they come in the room to check you? How many nurses tend to you? How pushy are they, or does that depend on hospital/nurse? Anyone had nurses that push drugs and medical interventions on you even if you say no? When it comes to the actual delievery, how many staff are required to be there?? What do they do with the baby afterwards, and how much time did you get with your baby? Did they make you wake up your baby every two hours to feed it??

February 1st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Julka
Well, here's my experience:

When I was in labour & had contractions we went to triage (sp?), the L&D, and they hooked me up to monitors to monitor the contractions and a nurse checked how far along I was dilated. I was around 40 wks and 5 days then. They sent me home twice before admitting me because I was 1/2 cm dilated.

They admitted me when I was 2 cm and my contractions were about 1-2 minutes apart and each 60 seconds long. Once I had a room, there was always someone there! The nurses kept coming in to check my contractions on the monitor and to check how far along I was. But we had periods of "no change" and it was just myself, DH, and my mom there.

When I was just admitted, the nurse said, "let me know if you decide to have an Epidural and we'll get the anesthesiologist (sp?) to come in." So I told her when I was ready and they never pushed anything on me.

When it was time to push, there was 1 nurse there and she guided me until when her head came out. Then she called a whole team of people: my OB, 2 medical students, another OB, and 2 more nurses. lol it was like a party in there, and they all remained while I delivered the rest of her and while I was being stitched.

When she was born, she was weighed and checked in the room, cleaned up, and then I got to hold her.
The nurse did encourage me to breastfeed every 2-3 hours, and yes to wake her up, to initiate my breastmilk production...
February 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I first got in there they checked me to see how dilated I was and checked to see if my water broke. . . then they confirmed I was in active labour and took me down the hall to the delivery room.
I stayed there and hung out,, I think there was constantly a nurse in the room,, I don't think I was ever left alone. They same nurse sat there with us and talked to us.
They didn't push drugs on to me at all.
When I delivered there were two nurses present and the doctor. I don't think there is a set amount required to be present actually.
Immediately after I got to hold him for a second,, they cleaned him up and gave him back to me. The baby never left my side,, then at night the nurses took him (with my consent) to the nursery with them and they watched him while I slept, then when he was hungry they would bring him in and wake me up to nurse him.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

February 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM
4boys
I think lots of things depend on the hospital and the staff. I'm sure every place is a little bit different but I can share what I've experienced.

Like, what exactly do they do when you first get there and they check you to see how your labour is doing? Is it just an internal? They usually will hook you up to monitors to get a heart rate on baby and measure some of your contractions. They will also do an internal to see how far you are and depending on your situation and the hospital, they might start an IV on you. They'll probably also get you to change into a hospital gown.

How often do they come in the room to check you? Fairly often, I'd say there is someone there most of the time, at least from my experience. They didn't leave me alone very often.

How many nurses tend to you? I think usually it's just one or two. When there's a staff change, the new ones taking over your care will probably come in and introduce themselves. They did for me anyways.

How pushy are they, or does that depend on hospital/nurse? This will definitely depend on the nurse. I've had wonderful nurses who let you do things however you want and do whatever you ask, then I've had crabby nurses who are anal about policy and procedure. So it just depends on who you get.

Anyone had nurses that push drugs and medical interventions on you even if you say no? Nope, this has never happened to me. I just had ones who didn't want to get me anything even when I asked, or were slow about it!! Although I suppose it just felt slow to me at the time!

When it comes to the actual delievery, how many staff are required to be there?? I don't know the exact number but I remember while I was pushing Toby out, I once opened my eyes to see about 6 or 7 people in a crowd at my crotch!! It was a little alarming! I'm sure you can request less people be there than that, I'm not sure why there were so many!

What do they do with the baby afterwards, and how much time did you get with your baby? This might be up to you somewhat and what personal preferences you've put into a birth plan if you have one. With only one of my deliveries did they give me my baby right away, and they wrapped him up first and cut his cord. That was when I had midwives attending. With both of my doctor-assisted hospital deliveries, they took the baby right away and started doing stuff to him right away, I didn't get to hold him until I was stitched and cleaned up. But I'm pretty sure if you request to have him/her placed on your chest immediately after delivery, they'll do it.

Did they make you wake up your baby every two hours to feed it?? I didn't breastfeed, so maybe it was different for me. But if I sent my baby to the nursery for night, they kept him there until I came to get him or called for them to bring him to me. I think this is very much personal preference; you just have to tell them what you want and hopefully they will comply.

Hope that answered some of your questions!!
February 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
Melz's Avatar Team Edward
to Erin..

Everything that she put down I had the same thing.. I didnt do the nursery thing tho but I had my DD at 5:30am and was home at 8pm the same night so I didnt have to deal with the over night crap there.. THANK GOD!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search