Do you lock your doors?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Do you lock your doors?
I lock them all the time 19 63.33%
I lock them when I leave 8 26.67%
I lock them only at night 3 10.00%
Why lock them at all? 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2005, 10:38 AM
mrobinson
Do you lock your doors?

Someone brought up a documentry showing casing Canada as a country that keeps their doors unlocked. When I lived in a small town, we left them unlocked all the time. In the Calgary, I always lock my door even though my neighbours don't. I'm hoping for a light-hearted poll will answer if that movie was incorrect or not.

October 21st, 2005, 10:55 AM
MamaBx3
We lock them when we leave, and when it starts to get dark at night.

My boyfriend's mom NEVER locks their doors.
October 21st, 2005, 12:39 PM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
We lock them all the time and we set the alarm too! There are too many crazy people out there and a home invasion can happen in broad daylight. Are you referring to that Michael Moore Doc where he went into people's houses whose doors were open?

October 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM
chlodoll
That was in Bowling for Colombine. I thought the funniest part was that once he opened the doors no one got angry!

Well I live in a big city but in a pretty safe neighbourhood so we lock them when we goto sleep and when we go out.
October 21st, 2005, 12:59 PM
PIXIEDUST's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we lock all the time..there isn't a high crime rate here but still can't be too cautious

October 21st, 2005, 01:11 PM
nat81
I used to live downtown Toronto and my parents made me promise them that I would always lock my door... now it's a habit and a good one, I would think!
October 21st, 2005, 04:15 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Originally posted by nat81@Oct 21 2005, 01:11 PM
I used to live downtown Toronto and my parents made me promise them that I would always lock my door... now it's a habit and a good one, I would think!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
Same!! Darcy and I lived in a small apartment for years here in Calgary... I'm just in the habit now.
October 21st, 2005, 04:20 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Originally posted by chlodoll@Oct 21 2005, 12:47 PM
That was in Bowling for Colombine. I thought the funniest part was that once he opened the doors no one got angry!
LOL - I know. The funny thing is, I don't really know anyone anymore that doesn't lock up. When I was little, in Ft. McMurray and in Sylvan Lake, it wasn't as much of an issue. Both places are much bigger and now, in Calgary, I think it's just better to be cautious. (I mean, it's not like we all live with guns ######ed and ready... just a little more cautious...)
October 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM
chlodoll
No matter where I have lived we never lock them in the day. Someone is always home. But I couldnt imagine why someone would leave them unlocked while they are out!

At my new apartment the door will be locked all the time!!!! I have seen my neighbours and who lives in the building and it looks like they need to be!!
October 22nd, 2005, 08:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I always lock my doors at night, and if we're both gone during the day we lock them less than half the time I think.

Maybe it would be different if we lived in town, but we don't.
October 23rd, 2005, 10:08 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
They are always locked. Everyone I know that lives here keeps theirs locked at all times too.

October 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually lock them when I leave unless I'm not going to be gone long or if I know someone doesn't have their key. They're rarely locked at night.

At my moms they only lock the doors at night. When we'd leave on vacation they never locked the doors then. The house has never been broken into.

If a person really wants to get in a lock isn't going to stop them.
October 23rd, 2005, 03:19 PM
Miranda and Maria's mommy's Avatar Not Mike's girl
I used to live in the Toronto Area and ALWAYS would lock every door and window all the time.
ow that we've moved to Kamloops--much smaller town...we lock them at night or when we aren't home, but during the day when we are home, we don't...

If I'm not here, find me on that other website
October 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
Originally posted by Natural Blessings@Oct 23 2005, 02:27 PM
If a person really wants to get in a lock isn't going to stop them.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

That is true. If someone has intentions of breaking in they probably would plan ahead for the doors to be locked!
October 23rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I should likely change my vote- I said when I leave - but it usually was when I leave, and at night. Now...... all the time. I nap whenever I can, and am often too busy nursing to answer the door. I just feel better when it's locked.
October 25th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Regular
I keep mine locked all of the time. We live in an apartment and I don't know how many times, our neighbours from upstairs forget which floor they live on and try to come in our apartment. lol

October 26th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
at my house we lock them and have our security system and security cameras on 24/7 but at my parents house they only lock them at night.. sometimes not even when they go out.

October 28th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I grew up in Mississauga and we've always locked our doors ever since I was 9 and a stranger walked into our house thinking it was his. Even though I live in a very safe neighbourhood and in a good part of Cambridge, I'm lock the doors at all times.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search