This is ugly news...

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2005, 05:00 PM
mrobinson
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2005/1...288797-sun.html
Wed, November 2, 2005

Halloween horror
Neighbour saves woman stabbed by masked man

By SARAH KENNEDY, CALGARY SUN

Neighbour Brenda holds the Beagle pup belonging to her friend who was stabbed in their Huntington Hills home on Halloween night. (Stuart Dryden, SUN)
Police say the heroic efforts of a northeast couple saved a woman from a grisly Halloween stabbing.

Melody Strong is recovering in hospital with serious wounds after a man masquerading as a trick-or-treater stabbed her several times in her front doorway about 9 p.m. Monday.

Strong's upstairs neighbours Brenda and her husband Jamie, who asked that their last names not be used, were about to put their nine-year-old daughter to bed when the doorbell rang.

Brenda said she was surprised to see a man, about 20, with a ghoulish ape mask saying 'trick or treat.' "I gave him some candy and he left, and about five minutes later we heard Mel screaming, 'What are you doing?' "

The couple ran to their neighbour's door and Jamie kicked it open to find Strong on the floor, with a man standing above her holding a knife.

Jamie grabbed the man's neck and the hand holding the knife and struggled with him until the man broke free and ran away.

Meanwhile, Brenda said she held her hand to the gaping knife wound on Strong's back while they waited for paramedics.

"She was screaming in pain and there was a lot of blood," she said.

Brenda said Strong had been recovering from a serious assault by her ex-boyfriend who is now in jail.

Police are investigating whether there are any connections.

Yesterday, Staff Sgt. Luch Berti commended Jamie.

"He was very heroic and he put himself at risk," he said.

Brenda said she is extremely proud of her husband, who is being modest about the situation. "He feels good that he helped her but he doesn't think he's a hero," she said.

Police believe the house may have been targeted because there is no evidence the masked man went to other houses. Berti also believes the suspect purposely chose Halloween.

"On Halloween, people open their doors to strangers and they are more vulnerable," he said.

"It's definitely scary."

The suspect is Native, 18 to 25 years old, about 5-ft.-11., 160 lb., with brown shoulder-length, unkempt hair and a white bandanna.

Anyone with information can call police at 266-1234.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
(Umm can you check out the link because there's a pic of a beagle puppy too.)
November 2nd, 2005, 11:08 PM
Deena's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG that's HORRIBLE!! I just can't imagine that! The pooor woman. She'll never want to answer her door again!!

Our boy, James!! Born February 18, 2006!! xoxoxoxox
November 4th, 2005, 08:12 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Originally posted by DeenaL@Nov 3 2005, 12:08 AM
OMG that's HORRIBLE!!* I just can't imagine that!* The pooor woman. She'll never want to answer her door again!!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
It's actually gotten worse... check out this link for the picture:
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2005/1...292082-sun.html
Is that not the scarest mask that jerk could have used?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fri, November 4, 2005

Halloween knifing randomSketch puts face to knife-wielding attack suspect

By SARAH KENNEDY, CALGARY SUN

Have you seen this mask, or the man in this police sketch? If so, Dist. 7 Staff Sgt. Luch Berti needs your help. (Stuart Dryden, SUN)
The woman stabbed by a ghoulishly masked man on Halloween night was a random victim, police now say.

Staff Sgt. Luch Berti said he doesn't want to cause panic, but he hopes the public will remain vigilant until they have the suspect behind bars.

"I'd love to be able to alleviate fear and say it wasn't random, so that everyone can breathe a sigh of relief," said Berti.

"But there's nothing to indicate that at this time."

Yesterday, police released a detailed composite sketch of the man who they say was dressed in a ghoulish mask and knocked on 26-year-old Melody Strong's door just after 9 p.m.

The woman's downstairs neighbours, Brenda and Jamie, heard her screams and ran to her rescue.

Jamie, who didn't want his last name used for fear of retaliation, fought with the man and forced him out the front door of the Huntley Cl. N.E. home.

The stabber ran away, but left his mask behind.

Berti said investigators were able to lift evidence from the mask and are now trying to determine its origin.

"If the mask looks familiar or if you know someone who bought it or discarded it, we want to hear from you," he said.

The victim, who is still in hospital recovering from her injuries, including a collapsed lung, did not recognize the composite sketch and police believe she doesn't know the man who attacked her.

Now that the drawing has been released to the public, Berti said it will be easier for police to nab the suspect, but in the meantime, he wants the public to be cautious.

"Is there a danger out there? Of course," he said.

"I'd be foolish to say there is no danger."

Det. John Watson said the entire attack lasted about 20 seconds before Strong's neighbours burst in to the home.

Because the attack was interrupted so quickly, police have no idea what the motive could have been.

Berti said he wants the public to remember this was an isolated incident and he hopes this doesn't dissuade people from participating in Halloween.

"We don't want this incident to change the way Calgarians and North Americans think about Halloween," he said.

"Kids should be able to go out trick or treating without fear."
November 5th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
this is why i hate halloween. people think they can get away with anything because they are wearing a mask. lots of murders in vancouver this year. and some idiot teenage boys threw a firecracker at my baby carriage so i had to chase them down the road.
*** is wrong with parents these days? cant they teach their kid to be human?

if marissa ever did anything like that and i found out i'd kick her butt from here to timbuktu and back.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search