THE first step to fixing your diet

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Healthy Mommas Club LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2010, 07:18 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Awareness. Sounds too simple but it's true that simply becoming aware of your hunger signals and what you choose to eat makes a world of difference!

Have you ever caught yourself finishing a bag of chips or polishing off a pan of brownies, without even remembering coming into the kitchen? I know I have! The trick is to learn not to eat on auto-pilot.

Next time you find yourself looking for something to eat, try to be aware of whether your body is really hungry. Ask yourself if you are upset, bored, lonely, stressed, etc. Do a "systems check" and feel for signs of hunger. If you are not hungry, try getting a drink of water; sometimes thirst is mistaken for hunger by people who tend to "graze". If you can't tell whether it is hunger or something else, resolve to wait 15 minutes before deciding what to eat; hunger will not go away, but cravings will. (Find something else to keep your attention occupied while you are waiting.) If you are hungry, try to become aware of what your body is hungry for. Base your choices on whether you need a meal or a snack; either way, you should try to choose from two or more food groups.

Once you decide what to eat, resist the temptation to eat while you are doing something else. Turn off the TV, avoid the computer- sit down and just.. eat. Take a bite and chew it; feel the texture and experience the flavor. Slow down. Busy moms feel like they can't do this, and maybe they can't every single time- but this is important.

A personal example- I used to LOVE those Lofthouse sugar cookies. I would buy myself a box of them, stash it in my best hiding place, and usually finish the whole box in two days (or less). Since I was sneaking them, I ate them fast. Then one day I had one of those cookies at a social event. Since I was with other people, I was only going to have one and not pig it down. Eating that cookie one bite at a time I had a revelation. They don't really taste all that good. They have a bitter, chemical taste that I had never noticed before. I haven't had a compulsive desire for them since.

I'm rambling, but thought this was good to share because it is free, easy, and works no matter what weight-loss diet you try. Restrictive dieting is a short-term tool at best; awareness will help you change the way you eat forever.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

June 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Like ! Thanks.

Forever remembering your smiling face.
June 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
Great tip Jen! Thanks! =D

Another thing I tend to do is buy compulsively things that look good when I'm shopping... So before I leave I have a snack or go out shopping directly after a meal. That way I'm only buying what I have on my list and not what I think is making my mouth water because I'm already hungry.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki*~~
Visit My Blogs:
~*~

Last edited by mommas2favs; June 15th, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
June 17th, 2010, 11:43 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
thats a really great tip.

Another good one i got in my weight watchers meetings was to never eat standing up. I would often find myself picking at a cookie, or at something in the fridge just as i was passing, or picking at the makings of the dinner etc. and more often than not i wouldnt remember even eating it. so having to take the time to eat while sitting, just took up a huge amount of time, and i stopped bothering.

June 20th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I was forced to fix my diet because of gestational diabetes. It's not so bad, and I feel quite healthier than pre-pregnancy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search