Taken from this morning .. its a topic on there ..

Forum: UK and Ireland Mummies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To UK and Ireland Mummies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2011, 03:51 AM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
But what do you think about the Kat and Ronnie Eastenders storyline ???

I am not totaly sure about it, I couldn't watch it new years eve but watched it as part of the omnibus on Sunday and then watched last nights I think it was (the one where Kat went to see him and realised he wasn't hers)

I think it could have been dealt with more sensativly .. I think they may have gone a little too far with the baby swapping thing .. I know its only a soap and they only do it to get the viewers. But I do think there are more appropiate ways to approach the subject of cot death rather than a storyline like that.

What do you think ?
January 5th, 2011, 04:03 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
while its bought awareness of cotdeath i think the swap part has gone too far! they could have done the sids storyline n left it at that....they are going to drag the storyline out for a few weeks but i bet by then people will be too upset shocked to keep watching. as you say its only a soap and while it portrays real life its so sad to watch, it has bought back so many sad memories of losin jessica, last night when kat broke down and they were saying why us, what we gonna do bought back raw memories ....the funeral will be hard for everyone to watch.
and with the swap part i thought it was wrong to show the breast feeding someone elses baby. kinda sick

January 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I thought that as well Claire .. showing her feeding someone elses baby is just wrong .. I agree its brought awareness to cot death but it could have been a more sensative storyline and left it at that ... as you say the swap was one step to far!!!
I to think its going to be a long storyline which is going to go on for weeks .. which for a lot of people if they have lost a baby is just going to be heartbreaking .. it will also be for those who haven't lost
January 5th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~~MaRiE~~
I think the cot death storyline its self was a good idea to make people aware that it does happen but i think the baby swapping is just to far fetched and portrays every bereaved parent as some crazy person who will steal your baby I think they would have been better off just going with the cot death and showing viewers how it affects to because that is traumatic enough with out exagerating it
January 5th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Loving My Piglets
i do think the baby swapping was too far, she could of lost her baby to cot death then had the funeral etc there was no need to swap the baby! i do hope its not dragged out for too many weeks!

R (10) 24.04.06 - our little angel
R (9) 07.06.07
L (8) 05.06.08
L (6) 26.04.10
C (3) 15.02.13

January 5th, 2011, 04:48 AM
MummyTo2Boys&1Girl's Avatar Loving my baby boy
when i watched this morning on monday they said on there they are going to use the story line aslong as they could so it could go on for years or until 1 of the members involoved leaves, i just hope it doesnt go on too long

im going to go against you all and say i think its a good story line, yes it could have been handled differently and more sensativly but this happens people steal babies, not in the way they have showed but they do breastfeed other people kids, i have been in tears over this story line but i think kat and alfie have acted it out very well

Jack Anthony Richard White

January 5th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Its all very good acting I agree ... but I do hope its not a on going storyline for weeks or months .. I think it will be over quickly as Ronnie is bound to go crazy with guilt of what she has done .. if you think she was already on her way over to take him back when Jack got out the taxi and shouted is that my son. And the midwives noticed that Ronnies baby had club foot where as kat and alfies didn't and at a check the midwife noticed he no longer had. Ronnie of course fobbbed it off.

I do hope its over quick as the investigations are already on the way .. I think the funeral is going to be awful to watch
January 5th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It makes me feel quite ill watching it, but as a soap opera story I think it's a good one. The breastfeeding bit didn't bother me. years ago people used to hire wet nurses to feed there babies. I think that it's going to run and run, possibly for months/years.

Thanks to Julia (Julka) for my beautiful siggy!
Come and see how Alyssa's grown!!
January 5th, 2011, 06:31 AM
*Fiona*
I know nothing about it, never watch Eastenders. But have seen lots of posts on FB about it too
January 5th, 2011, 07:44 AM
~*Lisa*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Karen. I find it extremely difficult to watch but I am watching and we are talking about it which is what they want. They have said that the storyline won't end anytime soon. It's so hard watching anything that involves babies dying or being snatched.
January 5th, 2011, 07:51 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
I agree with Emma, I think it's a great storyline. I think the writers have done the best they could do in handling without having these experiences themselves - you can't really expect it to be perfect i don't think. I really don't think the baby swapping indicates that all grieving mothers are baby stealers :S I just think it demonstrates that a mother who has lost a baby goes through things people don't understand.
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 5th, 2011, 08:15 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
I think its just shocking and that what they do to get the viewers.
I hope its made people more aware of SIDS.

January 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM
*Amie*
Anything can happen in soapland... and people deal with grief in different ways. Once she'd snapped out of it and realised what she'd done (not that she ran out to swap babies anyway) she wanted to return Tommy.. I do think there could have been more sensitive ways to raise awareness of SIDS, but from what I've seen on forums they are highlighting things. The trouble is, the soaps are always going to be in a ratings war and if they let their guard down they've had it. There have been plenty of things that have been taken off air after years, because it's gotten stale/ratings have dropped, and I'm sure everyone who loves Eastenders would hate for that to happen.
When I first read the spoilers, I was horrified. But having watched it, they've done a better job than I thought they would. They did put it out there so people were well aware of the storyline and then had the choice whether to watch it or not.

January 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
i'm curious to know how this ends? Keep me posted. i don't watch it but know the storyline from everyone else! it sounds sad and hard to watch, i'm hoping theres a 'happy' ending somewhere...

lol i'm giggling at you being shocked at people feeding other peoples babies, this happens all over the world! i remember fairly recently that after an earthquake there was a women breastfeeding other peoples orphan babies to keep them alive.
on facebook theres even mothers milk sharing - mothers giving milk to other mothers who can't make enough milk... this happens in the uk too. I think as a culture we're squeamish about breastmilk.

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
January 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM
My friend up the road did that when she was feeding her youngest .. she did a milk thing where she stored some of her milk and then when she had x amount it was picked up and taken fo use in the nicu where I had my kids
January 5th, 2011, 02:15 PM
*Amie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatomaica View Post
i'm curious to know how this ends? Keep me posted. i don't watch it but know the storyline from everyone else! it sounds sad and hard to watch, i'm hoping theres a 'happy' ending somewhere...

lol i'm giggling at you being shocked at people feeding other peoples babies, this happens all over the world! i remember fairly recently that after an earthquake there was a women breastfeeding other peoples orphan babies to keep them alive.
on facebook theres even mothers milk sharing - mothers giving milk to other mothers who can't make enough milk... this happens in the uk too. I think as a culture we're squeamish about breastmilk.
Leo could have had donated milk if my supply hadn't been good, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it though!

January 5th, 2011, 02:35 PM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
I think it depends on your views Amie, and thankfully you pumped so well for him he didn't need it. the milk is always tested thoroughly and pasturised before giving it to the babies and noone on medication is allowed to donate, plus all donators need to have a baby under six months. its quite a complicated process. of course thats just the technical stuff, emotionally its all different!
I wouldn't have a problem feeding someone elses baby if it was needed, don't know how i'd feel about someone else feeding mine though! different diets etc. however if maica was ill i wouldn;t have a problem with her having my sisters milk because i know her(but her to actually breastfeed my baby? i don't know if i'd like that as its a mother baby closeness thing).

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
January 5th, 2011, 02:38 PM
~*Lisa*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Milk sharing is very common in the USA . A few ladies in my pr done it for months. They are very passionate about it.
January 5th, 2011, 02:49 PM
*Amie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatomaica View Post
I think it depends on your views Amie, and thankfully you pumped so well for him he didn't need it. the milk is always tested thoroughly and pasturised before giving it to the babies and noone on medication is allowed to donate, plus all donators need to have a baby under six months. its quite a complicated process. of course thats just the technical stuff, emotionally its all different!
I wouldn't have a problem feeding someone elses baby if it was needed, don't know how i'd feel about someone else feeding mine though! different diets etc. however if maica was ill i wouldn;t have a problem with her having my sisters milk because i know her(but her to actually breastfeed my baby? i don't know if i'd like that as its a mother baby closeness thing).
I'm not "weirded out" by the milk sharing, I guess I hadn't looked enough into it, to judge. But it scared me that people could be eating/taking anything, crappy lifestyle etc..

January 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~~MaRiE~~
Aparently they toned it down befor it went on tv as they recieved that many complaints before it was even aired the original version was even more dramatic but in soapland that stands for exagerated lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search