Urticaria

Forum: UK and Ireland Mummies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To UK and Ireland Mummies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM
*Fiona*
My urticaria is WAY out of control tonight I've never had it like this before and it's scaring me!!

For those who don't know what it is: Urticaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia basically it's an allergic reaction to something... could be something I've eaten or drank, touched or just dust or something in the air.

My usual symptoms are random but small blotches on my neck or face. But right now both sides of my face (the whole of both cheeks), from under my eyes down to my jawbone, plus my chin, is bright red, tight, puffy, hot, and sore I've never had such a large area with this on it Normally it's no bigger than the size of a 1p coin.
January 7th, 2011, 12:43 PM
MummyTo2Plus5's Avatar Loving my baby boy
sound painful fi

Very proud mummy to 2 earthly and 5 heavenly babies

January 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM
~*Lisa*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Fiona i would deffo go get that checked out, your throat doesnt feel tight?
January 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM
*Fiona*
I'm at the stage of should I be more worried than I am?! I'm not overly concerned TBH. my throat and breathing is fine. However apart from my forehead, my whole face is one big bright red blotch.

I take an antihistamine daily and have just taken a 2nd one about half an hour ago. Last time I was at my docs he told me it is safe for me to take 2 if I have really bad days. I've never ever needed to... til now.

Not sure if I should be getting medical advice though? WWYD? I don't wish to overreact
January 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Sweetie Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
did you have something new for tea?

I'd phone and ask for advice seeing as it's never been so extreme before, especially if the 2nd pill hasn't made an impact
January 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
If i was in pain and it was worrying me i would phone nhs24 and just say you're looking for advice. No harm in that really.

Kup x
January 7th, 2011, 01:06 PM
*Fiona*
I've gone through everything I've eaten, drank and touched today. But it would have been something in the past 2 hrs max I would think, or I'd have had symptoms earlier today. but there's nothing I can think of. Tea was lamb stew, tatties, carrots. With yogurt/blueberries and museli after. Nothing new.

Hmmm. How long does a tablet take to dissolve/absorb does anyone know? I prob took it at about 7:15pm ish.
January 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I take loratidine, they work within 30 mins.

Were the berries pre-washed? Weird that you have such a reaction to seemingly nothing

Kup on how you are x
January 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
Most antihistamines work within half an hour to an hour .. so it should have kicked in by now. I think it might be worth a phone call to NHS 24 if you haven't done so already x
January 7th, 2011, 01:16 PM
PrincessLou79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you've never had a reaction as extreme as this before and you can't attribute it to anything in particular that you've eaten or anything new that you've come into contact with then I'd be inclined to contact NHS Direct to see what they say!

January 7th, 2011, 01:17 PM
*Fiona*
I washed the berries and dried them with kitchen roll before I ate them. I haven't had any of them out of this punnet as yet, but I have had blueberries in the past. Kirsty has twice had urticaria symptoms, once all over her body, the second time just one small blotch, and she was fine when I put her up to bed. She's had 2 portions of the berries today. I know we may not have the same allergies but would she have shown the same symptoms perhaps?

I hate not knowing whether I should be phoning or not I feel ok in myself, if it wasn't for my face being itchy, hot, tight and red I would be 100% tip top.
January 7th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~~MaRiE~~
i would phone just to be safe
January 7th, 2011, 01:20 PM
January 7th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Clare's Avatar Wishy
Send a message via AIM to Clare
Fi, I would phone just in case. I'm have random reactions all the time and usually just take another antihistamine. If that doesn't help I normally need a shot from my epipen but luckily that doesn't happen very often.
January 7th, 2011, 01:31 PM
*Fiona*
I feel totally fine. So I don't know if I should phone or just wait it out. It feels ever so slightly cooler, maybe the tablet is kicking in now? It's called Cetirizine hydrochloride or something like that. but I've been on them for months, maybe even years now so they're safe for me. Urgh!

My head feels a bit odd, like a dull headache but really compressed inside. Hard to describe. I'm a freak, I know lol
January 7th, 2011, 01:31 PM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
Iwould call just to be on the safe side hun x

January 7th, 2011, 01:49 PM
If your head is hurting now i would phone. They don't mind people phoning them for advice. It's what they're there for.
January 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
*Fiona*
I haven't phoned, but I think it's calming down now. My head feels a little clearer and my face doesn't feel as hot "inside", it's still hot to touch. I think I might try and get an app booked asap and ask for allergy testing. I don't want this happening again, plus I don't wish to have to take antihistamine forever if I can figure out what triggers this.

Can we ask for allergy testing? Will a doc refer me do you think?
January 7th, 2011, 02:57 PM
*Fiona*
Deffo much better now, thank goodness. It had me freaked for a bit. I'm def going to see my doc asap. I just can't pinpoint anything that may have triggered it off which is quite scary - it has to be something in my house as I've not been out since 10am this morning.
January 8th, 2011, 05:06 AM
That is scary, your doc should be able to refer you for testing

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search