Food that is local to you....

Forum: UK and Ireland Mummies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaidynsmum
  • 1 Post By Jaidynsmum
  • 1 Post By Jaidynsmum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To UK and Ireland Mummies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Fae*Aibell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What dish or item of food is original to the area you live in? Like haggis and scotland etc.

What is it?

Do you eat it?

Did you grow up eating it?

Forever missing my 3 angel babies: Harry, Ewan, and Audrey.
I am at one with God and with Nature. I feel my oneness with absolutely everything.

PROUD CO-HOST OF UK AND IRELAND MUMMIES
June 4th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
I grew up in Ayrshire so Ayrshire potatoes were local, best new potatoes ever. Still eat them and yep I grew up eating them.
Local to where I live now is Strathaven Toffee, which despite it's name isn't toffee at all, it's tablet. Basically a whole load of sugar, but oh so good!
Scotland as a whole has to be haggis, Irn Bru, whisky and of course the pizza crunch! Grew up eating haggis and drinking Bru, can't stand whisky and still love a pizza crunch!
Fae*Aibell likes this.
June 5th, 2012, 07:16 AM
The one and only time i visited Scotland i really went to town on the Irn bru, its so lovely and i brought some haggis home for my dad, but couldn't bring myself to trying it.

Local to our area would be crubeens, which are basically boiled pigs feet. I have never tried them but my mother loves it and grew up on it. Also tripe and drisheen is local to this area too, tripe is the stomach lining of a cow and drisheen is a type of black pudding. My mum tried to make me eat it when i was little but i couldn't and havn't been able to since, i think its more of a favourite to the older generation. My FIL had Tripe and drisheen the night he passed away it was his favourite dinner ever.

I am at one with God and with Nature. I feel my oneness with absolutely everything.

June 5th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Ugh tripe! I can still see it in the butchers window next to the tongue before it got rolled and boiled!! *shudder* Why did butchers do that?! I mean what made them think that actually seeing a cow's tongue would make you want to buy it!!
Fae*Aibell likes this.
June 6th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Oh the thought of the tongue is making me shiver. Can't understand how people can be inticed to eat that type of thing. If anyone here has eaten anything like that, please share how they tasted because the look alone would make me run a mile.

June 6th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I've eaten tongue, but it looks nothing like the display in the butchers window It's just another cold meat to me, quite tasty actually!
Haggis is pretty disgusting if you think what's in it, but taste wise it's fab! Stuffed in a chicken breast it's heaven!
I've had alligator, ostrich and frogs legs. For the life of me I can't remember how alligator tasted, it was about 12 years ago I had it! Ostrich is a bit like venison, quite a rich meat and frog's legs honestly do taste like chicken!!
June 6th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Now ive realised im am not at all adventurous with my food lol. My hubby always tells me i have a weak stomach, if i don't like the smell or look of things it makes me physically sick. He tried to get me to taste snails in Paris recently but wild horses wouldn't have gotten me to eat them, and fois gras, he wanted to try but ugh i couldn't do it. My dad really liked the haggis i brought home for him that time. And now hearing that frogs legs taste like chicken, next time im in France, i think i might try them. I would 'almost' be inticed to try the tongue now after your description of the taste, but i wouldn't be able to cook it and it couldn't look like tongue. Someone would have to serve it up to me cut up. Could be a good excuse to get DH to cook something other than chicken nuggets for once lol.

June 6th, 2012, 05:59 AM
You buy tongue already boiled and rolled so it looks just like any other cooked meat. Don't think I could cook it myself! Oh and I'm with you on the snails front, the thought makes me shudder!!
Fae*Aibell likes this.
June 6th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Oh i didn't know you could buy tongue that way, will check it out when i pluck up enough courage to try it.

June 9th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I think pies are really the only thing and they're more a Wigan thing but that's probably the nearest. I'm not terribly fond of pies at the moment as they kick off my heartburn!

June 9th, 2012, 02:19 PM
We just found the most beautiful pies in a shop nearby here this week. They are so yummy, made in shop with the best ingrediants and are cheap. Im not usually not a pie lover but these are lovely. Are you having any cravings during your pregnancy Sharron?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search