I just love my boys new school :-)

Forum: UK and Ireland Mummies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fae*Aibell
  • 1 Post By sarah*
  • 1 Post By RandomRobot

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To UK and Ireland Mummies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Fae*Aibell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every day they just come out so happy, and that makes me happy which makes for a less stressed family. They are getting on so well and im so proud of them for settling in so quickly. Jake told me today that he has never enjoyed school as much as he is enjoying it now. And most days their teacher comes out to the gate to fill us in on what their day was like, she is so considerate. Jake has found long break a little trying but she is going to play some team building games with them at this break so it will be more structured and less stressful on him. Reese is positivly thriving, speaking away to his teacher, putting his hand up to answer questions and actually doing the class work, never happened in the old school they couldn't even tell us where he was academically, now Reese is telling us, ' i did the maths today and it was just too easy' lol. I am just one very happy mama, as the same time an angry one over how the old school sucked the energy out of them and then denied anything was wrong. The head of the board of management as well as the dept of education will be getting a very heated e-mail/letter from me soon, just because they are out of the school i won't let them forget what they did to my boys. And i would love so much to catch the principal and show him my now two happy carefree boys whom he declared on the day i told him we were moving them that i was going to do them more harm from good by moving. All i can say to him is HA, this new school has achieved more in 3 days then they did in 3 yrs.

PS. Sorry for going on about it, but im just so happy i can't keep it in lol.
Carwen*Angel likes this.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies: Harry, Ewan, and Audrey.
I am at one with God and with Nature. I feel my oneness with absolutely everything.

PROUD CO-HOST OF UK AND IRELAND MUMMIES

Last edited by Fae*Aibell; September 3rd, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
September 3rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
thats amazing so glad they have settled so well into their new school and the teachers seem to be nice and considerate aswell updating you on how they are doing
Fae*Aibell likes this.

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

September 4th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
This is brilliant news Molly, and I absolutely agree about you still pursuing the old school and letting them know exactly what a bad job they did.

September 4th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Get this Sharron, and what we found out this morning and im fuming over it. DH and I spent all this morning trying to find out who was the head of the board of management in the old school as thats who the complaint goes to. We learned the board of management consists of, the parish priest, the principal, two current teachers and two parents who have kids in the school so if i do complain about the school, im complaining about them to themselves. That will get me far huh. We are now trying to find the next step up the ladder who may be more neutral on the subject. Sometimes i wonder how this country is run at all, seems like everything is backwards, makes no sense to me. Do you think im right in thinking this is wrong, or am i just seeing it differently because im so mad at them? We checked out the governments dept of education and they don't accept complaints about schools they say you have to go to the board of management. Im determained to find a middle man who will take this complaint seriously. Are the school boards of management in the UK made up of people who work in the school?

I am at one with God and with Nature. I feel my oneness with absolutely everything.

September 4th, 2012, 05:53 AM
RandomRobot's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Molly, im so glad your boys are doing well, obviously i dont know the history but it sounds like they did not have a good time with their old school but board of management has to answer to someone..I hope you find out who to complain too, the way the *system* works is just appalling, what about writing to your Local TDs?. you dont get anywhere these day unless you complain..I had an awful fight getting Jack to be diagnosed as the HSE early intervention was rubbish, after having a bit of a hissy fit we got him assessed properly and now hes at a brilliant school for this year until he will be integrated into mainstream next year

Good Luck
September 4th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Rachael the system just sucks. We had both our boys diagnosed privatly, Jake was diagnoed nearly 18 months before we got the call for him to be assesed by the HSE, and that was also under the early intervention and the assesment of needs. Luckily we could go private back then because i know it would have dragged out for years otherwise. I am not one to give up, as my mum puts it im like a dog with a bone, if im determained to do something i will do it and i am determained to not let this go, i will find someone who will listen and take this seriously. I hadn't thought of going to a TD, i was thinking of e-mailing Ruairi Quinn, but that would probably be ignored where as if i went to a TD's office they will have to listen, thanks Rachael.

September 4th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Its worth a try! Ive taken up various things over the years with local TDs, sometimes things are done, sometimes not, but you always get a response! We referred Jack ourselves under the assessment of need after being told about it by a speech therapist we were going to privatly, he was referred pretty quickly to the early intervention team but they were worse than useless, he got 10 sessions of speech, one appointment with a psychologist ( for 20 mins) and a few sessions with occupational health..that was it for the whole year,they just didnt want to take the step to diagnoses as they didnt want to *label* I then threw a bit of a fit at the pyschologist one day ( after she basically called me a liar over something she was supposed to have done) and he was then referred to St Catherines services in Wicklow who are brilliant, they fast tracked him because of his age and diagnosed him and have no placed him in their outreach school here which has just been fantastic oh I could whinge for hours about the way things are run but I wont..im also like a dog with a bone!! mum knows best though! and things wont change if no one stands up for what they believe in!

eMails and addresses - Tithe an Oireachtais this has the list of email addresses you can download

right best get off my soapbox lol, im normally quite mild mannered!
September 4th, 2012, 10:39 AM
So am i Rachael, but when it comes to my kids i would walk from one end of this country to the other to get them what they need, like any parent would. We were referred after diagnosis for O/T, Speech and Language and psychology and the wait list was crazy, im talking over a year. Jake was getting progressively worst and his meltdowns were getting out of control. So i went to the office of where they would get the therapy and sat there and refused to leave till someone saw me, which they eventually did. About 2 weeks later their therapies started, only because i made things uncomfortable for them. The Irish system is just so messed up its crazy and i could go on for hours too, so ill get off my soapbox now too lol. But i agree with you, nothing changes unless you stand up for what you believe in. Thanks for the links and the support xx

September 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I hope you get somewhere you know it gets me so frustrated that so many kids must fall through the gaps, if i hadnt pushed and pushed then poor Jack would be getting no where, the public health nurse when he was 2 and was still only eating pureed as he wouldnt tolerate the lumpy sensation told me to forcefeed him otherwise his education would suffer because he would be attending eating disorder clinics! when that kind of info is what you get at the primary care source then what hope is there?. you sound like your journey has been just as as rough as ours we are so lucky where we are now though, st Catherines is awesome and Jack loves it there, they only take 20 kids at this particular school and each child has its own personal SNA, he will be there for a year and then transfer to mainstream where they have an autistic unit which integrates with the main school so the future is looking good although i have no doubt that ill still have to fight again at some point to get him what he needs! are you doing the mobile phones for Ipad scheme through IAA?
I have to say its really nice to have someone to discuss this with lol
Fae*Aibell likes this.
September 4th, 2012, 04:23 PM
We are trying the mobile phones as Jake would really benefit from an ipad, as apparently they have fab apps for dyspraxia which he also has but at the moment we are only up to about 40 phones. We let it kind of go over the summer but once our routine is back and in place we are going all guns blazing trying to drum up more. Our new school is fab too, they also have an autistic unit although my boys are in the mainstream part of the school, but because there is a unit in the school and the kids get integrated into the mainstream all the staff in the whole school have expertise in dealing with autism which is amazing. My boys have access to an SNA and they get her when they really need. Jake dosn't particularly need and SNA in the class only at the end of the day when he tries to organise his homework, he needs her more in the yard and needs to be supervised eating. Reese needs the SNA more in the class as he also has oppositional defiance disorder which makes him more reluctant to do his school work and he dosn't generally speak in school, although it hasn't been an issue in the new school yet so fingers crossed he will continue as he started. Also he needs a little push in playing with others but that is going good so far too in the new school. I think we were really lucky in finding this new school. Its not a whole lot further from home than the old one and DH and i just popped in on a whim one day to see their brochure and within a week the ball was rolling to get them in we were so impressed and at that point we had had enough of the old place. Im so happy for you that Jack loves his school, it makes a huge difference, happy child=happy mum.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search