PCOS, Weight Loss and TTC

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2010, 09:10 AM
AmandaEE's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to AmandaEE
As if trying to lose weight is hard enough, through PCOS and TTC into the mix and you've got an impossible mountain to climb, or so it seems!

Is any other PCOSers trying to lose weight as well as ttc? I am. I lost about 40lbs 3 years ago and then have been up and down 10lbs here and there. I'm currently trying to go back down for a few reasons. 1, to lose weight. 2, to get my metabolism going. Many doctors saying losing weight with PCOS can help when ttc, but my RE actually said losing weight would not help me because I didn't get PCOS with weight gain... I had PCOS even at 117 lbs. Regardless, I want to lose the weight anyway as I think just getting my body healthier is better all around.

I started walking with a friend of mine, then DH and I started riding bikes at night when it cooled down. But even last night at 8pm it was still too hot. So, I bought a Jillian Michael's DVD, two of them actually. One is 3 20 minute workouts (level 1, level 2 and level 3) and the other is about a 50 minute workout. I started with the 20 minute , level 1 and OH MY GOD! If I'm not at my 16lb weight loss goal by tomorrow then I quit! Just kidding... it was tough though! I guess I thought it would be easier since I was indoors w/AC, but nope. I've never sweat more. After the first 6 minute circuit I thought I was going to throw up. It's been an hour now and I still feel like I'm going to throw up and I swear I saw spots. It wasn't anything out of the norm, but I guess it was just the consistency. If you stick with it, I can definitely see how you'd see results!

Anyway, if you are trying to lose weight I just want to encourage you. I got the DVDs so I wouldn't have any excuse in bad weather. I'm 6lbs down from the bike riding and have another 16lbs to go to my goal in 5 weeks!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful Siggy!
"Even miracles take a little time" -Cinderella

Follow my blog at http://jovieheart.blogspot.com/
June 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
DecemberBelle's Avatar Audrey Jo's Mama
Sounds like you are off to a great start! Keep it up and I'm sure you'll reach your goal in no time.

As for me, I'd like to lose 40-60 lbs. before actively ttc. I've only recently gotten serious about this. I'm doing a low-glycemic index diet, eating a lot of fresh, natural foods and I already feel better. My husband and I also joined Taekwondo classes last week so that will be a fun way to whip us both into better shape.

I wish you all the luck in the world and can't wait to hear updates about your progress!
June 7th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Super Mommy
About 3 years ago I lost close to 50lbs ... and have slowly gained it all back. At my lowest weight my PCOS was in full effect with 90+ day cycles.

I am currently cutting out carbs and restarting my exercise regimen. This morning was my first weigh in and I lost 2.6lbs!! Woo Hoo!

I am on met, which I am not sure is helping or not. We are actively TTC regardless of my weight. I get morning sickness during my pregnancies anyway and lose weight.

Married to Bill 9/12/09
DS - Anthony (1/2/02)
DD - Ellie (3/24/04)
DS - Braxton (6/14/11)

June 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
Good luck! I hope you get this and can help encourage us to do better too!
I really really really need to lose weight!
I've got about 100 pounds to get off me until I start to feel normal. I try not to think about it though as I just get discourage KWIM?
June 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Dirtroads's Avatar Facta Non Verba
Good luck to all of you.

Has anyone tried Wii fit? I wonder if it really works, I'm afraid to spend the money on it for nothing.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 7th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
My one problem with wii fit is that you get bored after a while. Like once you unlock all the levels and all the games which took me all of a few weeks I got bored with it. I have bought the wii fit plus but then my wii broke so I havent gotten to use it!
June 7th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I'm not weight loss queen, but I have been successful in the past when I put my mind to it.

Here is the advice/encouragement I can offer at least for today and I'm speaking to myself as well:

1. Recognize and celebrate the small victories
2. Set short term and long term goals (sometimes I've had to go so short term that they were daily goals!)
3. If you want the cookie, eat the cookie. Just don't eat the whole box.
4. Exercise! Honestly, I think you can eat anything if you exercise enough... when I lost 30 lbs in three months all I did was exercise 20-30 min a day (walking on the tredmill) and watch my sugars/carbs.

Good luck to all of us trying to lose weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEE View Post
I'm not weight loss queen, but I have been successful in the past when I put my mind to it.

Here is the advice/encouragement I can offer at least for today and I'm speaking to myself as well:

1. Recognize and celebrate the small victories
2. Set short term and long term goals (sometimes I've had to go so short term that they were daily goals!)
3. If you want the cookie, eat the cookie. Just don't eat the whole box.
4. Exercise! Honestly, I think you can eat anything if you exercise enough... when I lost 30 lbs in three months all I did was exercise 20-30 min a day (walking on the tredmill) and watch my sugars/carbs.

Good luck to all of us trying to lose weight!
Updated to #4... all I did was exercise 20-30 min a day and ONLY about 3-4 times a week. Not daily! I could have lost more quicker had I uped it to about 45 min and everday!

June 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Metformin really does help!! I lost 20 lb without trying with the Met... have you started it yet? Has the middle of the meal tip helped you at all?? Sounds like you have a really healthy attitude towards weight loss... be patient and kind to yourself, and you will meet those goals!

THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.
June 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I have not started it yet, but I did the Rx filled. DH and I want to wait until I test this cycle just to see if I'm pg. It's more of a personal issue than anything because I know taking will not affect the pregnancy... I'll start it either way after I test (next week sometime)

I'm glad it helped you lose weight... maybe that will be the extra boost I need as well! =D

I try to have a good attitude. I was always average sized, but got overweight for about 5 years and complained all the time that I couldn't take it off. Once I put my mind to it and it came off, I realized the only thing stopping the weight loss was me. There is no secret diet. Exercise and eat reasonably and it will come off.

June 8th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Veteran
I go running 4 nights a week, plus walk my dog for 15-20 minutes twice a day, and I still can't seem to lose weight. I've cut down the amount of sugar I have and eat healthier and in smaller portions...

I lost 2 pounds and so far that's it. Although its discouraging about the numbers, I feel better and people actually say I look better... so something must be working right!

So dont just judge yourself based on what the scale says
June 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
You could be losing inches if not weight. I bet running helps build muscles in your legs. I tried to run... and only lasted like 30 seconds! But felt GREAT afterwards. I guess you have to build up to endurance.

How long have you been running or how did you build your endurance up? I'm top heavy and that also discourages me from running because I can never find a good bra. I finally got a Nike tank/bra that does the job pretty well, but it's still uncomfortable.

June 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Lynley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm on the weight-loss bandwagon, too. Since my husband and I started dating almost 5 years ago, I've slowly gained about 100 lbs. I'm now doing Weight Watchers, and I've actually had some success - woohoo! I lost about 8 lbs over about 2 months, and then when I started going to zumba, now it's really coming off! I've lost 5% of my body weight since mid-March, and I'm feeling soooo much better.

Though we both have quite a bit of weight to lose, DH and I are still TTC. I'm not on any medication yet (was just diagnosed w/ PCOS a few weeks ago), though I'm tempted to ask my doctor for metformin to help the weight loss (hopefully!). I've also read that it helps prevent miscarriage, and I'm scared to death to lose a pregnancy. I don't know if I could take it! I have my annual visit coming up in a few weeks, so we'll see.

AmandaEE, I completely agree w/ your suggestions above. What I've realized about myself is that I will not stick w/ a diet that won't let me have certain foods. That's why Weight Watchers works for me - I really can have whatever I want, as long as I work it into my daily points total. It makes me feel like I have more control. I always build in a little treat (usually a WW ice cream sandwich, but lately I've been trying to think of fat-free yogurt as a "treat" ;0) so I don't feel completely deprived.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. I've got a ways to go, but for the first time in quite awhile, I actually feel like I'm making progress! Woohoo!

Good luck to everyone - we can do it!
June 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Congrats on the progress Lynley! It is sooo motivating and encouraging once the pounds start coming off! I'm down about 6 since April, but it didn't come until the last few weeks because I wasn't consistent.

As far as diet, if you know a diet won't work for you then don't do it. Find something you can do... way to go with WW! I like having options, espeically when I crave something so it is nice to have a buffer to allow that stuff in. If you REALLY want something, just have it. Otherwise, you will feel deprived and then give up on the whole thing... or at least that has been my pattern.

For now, I'll keep on trucking... I did my second day of Jillian Michael's DVD... barely. I can hardly walk, but I pushed through for two days!!!

WAY TO GO GALS- Let's kick those lbs goodbye!

June 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Veteran
I started jogging at a slow pace keeping my breathing in rhythm; I counted 1-4 in my head and go in on 1, out on 2, in on 3, out on 4. I would jog as far as I could before I needed a break, and then the next time, try to beat that distance.

Now, I throw a little sprint in there to shake things up a bit. Since I have Asthma I can't go too far or long without a little pause, but they pauses on becoming less and less.

Good luck to everyone on their journey!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search