How do you get past the cosmetic side effects of PCOS?

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to nlyates Send a message via MSN to nlyates Send a message via Yahoo to nlyates
I was diagnosed with PCOS in my teens, but, as I'm getting older I am experiencing the embarrassing side effects that come along with PCOS You ladies know what I'm talking about - mainly the unwanted body hair... especially on the chin... i feel like I look like a man - srsly!
also, is there anyway to get those stupid discolorations from the knuckles, elbows, and back of the neck to go away? just looking at myself makes me feel gross like i need to soak in bleach and perhaps invest in Venus razors for my face. I'm mortified and REALLY insecure about these devastating but superficial issues. Any advice, or do i need to break out the razor? and what about what i call "male pattern baldness?" my hair is falling out from where i dont want it to! i had to cut my hair short to keep it from falling out as much... but, you can tell my hair is thinning and my hairline is receding! i dont want to have to wear a wig or hide myself under hats and scarves forever. *at my wit's end*

November 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hoping To Be A Mommy
For hair issues, I'd say wax. Waxing lasts longer as it takes the hair from the follicle instead of just cutting it off at the surface. Shaving can cause further problems, like ingrowns, stubble, and skin looking even darker in areas. For darker skin patches, I'd try exfoliating or talk to a dermatologist about a cream that lightens pigmented areas.. See about getting on a good diet and vitamin regimen and it should lessen the side effects of PCOS a bit. (I know it's easier said than done).. Exercise has been known to work wonders for us as well. I'd say make a spa your new best friend. Wax once every 2 wks, get body scrubs done there, and try to follow a pretty set regimen. I hope it eases up for you. I somehow envy PCOSers with the side effects- at least it's pretty apparent testosterone levels are higher and there are all kinds of remedies. Mint tea is supposed to naturally lower testosterone levels. My estrogen levels are too high and I have no idea what to do for it. :-/ Good luck, love. Don't let it get you down.. Those kinds of side effects can be managed, if not reversed.
November 20th, 2010, 08:25 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maggie gave great advice!
November 20th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to nlyates Send a message via MSN to nlyates Send a message via Yahoo to nlyates
thanks for the great advice!
its just an everyday struggle for me to feel pretty anymore. My DH is great, and is constantly reassuring me that I'm the most beautiful woman he's ever laid eyes on... but, we all have those "ugly" days, where nothing anybody says or anything you personally do makes you feel any prettier...
In my early 20s, i was put on a regimen of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics that made me gain 100lbs in one year! i've lost about 70lbs of that weight since then... but i still have what they call "moon face" from the meds.
plus, pcos makes it nearly IMPOSSIBLE to lose lbs... even when you follow a decent diet and exercise...
i'm just blessed with a DH that understands... and doesn't care about the whiskers on my chin... or how my regimen of hormone therapy makes me break out like a 13 year old girl... he's amazing.
November 21st, 2010, 06:35 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
I personally shave for the facial hair. I just don't feel like going to get waxed. I've thought about it though. And I've tried home waxing, but get frustrated with it too. It's just easier for me to shave.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
November 21st, 2010, 09:33 PM
A*LOT*OF*HOPE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I shave....LOL I can grow a stash like my husband.....LOL Ok, maybe not that bad, but it seems like it. I tried waxing, and for me it grew back almost as fast. I struggle with my weight everyday...darn pcos....The Metformin has helped some when it comes to that.
November 21st, 2010, 10:13 PM
NannyJen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pluck the hairs on my chin. I only have about 10 or so, so it's not so bad. As for the skin discoloration, I have no clue. My mom used to get mad every now and then and accuse me of not washing. We didn't know at that time that I had PCOS. I remember her making me use undiluted bleach and one of those green scrubbies for about 20 minutes at one point. It just wouldn't come clean and she just got more and more angry (she was a little on the insane side when I was growing up lol). It was definitely embarrassing. I really don't know what there is to do about it. Maybe speak with your dr and see what he/she can suggest?

November 22nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Veteran
i wish i could just pluck the chin hair... but there is so much of it, i seriously feel like i look like a dude.
as for the skin discoloration, my dr suggested using lemons to lighten the skin... that didn't work...
i really thought the dark patches would lighten up once the metformin started working.... but, it didn't help.
November 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
jamiejo's Avatar Veteran
I use these wax strips. I used to shave but it was growing back so fast.

Sally Hansen*Hair Remover Wax Strip Kit For Face, Brows & Bikini | Walgreens

Since I started taking 5000 iu Vitamin D daily I've actually had to wax less than I used to. I'm not sure if it is really related or not.

November 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hoping To Be A Mommy
I am sure it is! Vitamins and supplements for us pcos'ers is huge. We are deficient in vitamin D. A lot has changed for me since I started taking vitamin D. Like way less depression and mood swings. It's been amazing.
November 23rd, 2010, 05:36 AM
BuckeyeGal23's Avatar Happy Mommy
My big one is acne...ugh! I don't have the facial hair, but god the acne freaking makes up for it. My face is soooo bad right now - must be the stress of the holidays!

For the discoloration, try St. Ive's Apricot Scrub...that stuff is amazing! I use it weekly on my entire body, but it's great for those tough-to-get spots...I convinced DH to use it too on his elbows/rough patches and he loves it!

Mommy to Cameron, my amazing son born 10/11/2011
November 23rd, 2010, 07:21 AM
Veteran
i adore St. Ive's Apricot wash!
I seem to be a genetic cesspool because I inherited all the bad genes from both sides of the family... my body produces too much keratin so i have those bumps on the backs of my arms and legs that look like acne but aren't... the apricot scrub softens them up some....but it hasn't helped with the discoloration...

the discoloration is especially bad on the back of my neck, and i recently cut my hair short... i feel like everyone is staring at my neck thinking that its dirty... makes me paranoid.

Tags
discoloration , loss of hair , pcos , unwanted hair growth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search