We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Well, I had to go in for my yearly so I used this appointment to approach the subject of Endometriosis. I barely had the word out of my mouth when my doctor said "Yes, I agree." ****, that was easy. Not an easy solution though. He does not want to put me on BCPs. I thought that would be the first step but he said "Do you still want to get pregnant?" When I said yes, he replied "Then we need to do a laproscopy and see what is going on . . . and since you have PCOS we may have to do ovarian drilling while we're in there." Normally, I would be very excitied and ready to go but I have 2 factors kind of holding me back . . . 1. I have an externship of sorts (management clinical) that will be the whole month of April, if they do the surgery in March will I be recovered by April? (if I don't complete the whole clinical then I won't graduate in May) I asked him that and he said that it all depends on what they find. 2. I just passed the challenge exam for the second semester of RN school. This means that I have tested out of the first and second semester, I still have to apply to the program which would start in August. However, when I turned in my test results the instructor that took them from me said "Congratulations, you passed. You are in." IDK. The reason that I am metioning that is because the chances of becoming pregnant increase after ovarian drilling right? I don't want to waste that opportunity but don't know if I can hack being pregnant and being in nursing school. Its not that I don't think I can do it . . . its that I am afraid I will end up on bedrest. I had pre-E with Abby.
My doctor did say that if I decide not to have surgery then he will put me on Lupron which means NO chance of getting pregnant for about 6 months, depending on how fast my body is rid of it because I would take it for 3 months.
He also said that he would suggest the surgery since I have had a cyst/ ovary/ tube removed, C-section and gallbladder out it could be adhesions.
Then he laughed said that he would write down the options so that I could "look them all up, over analyze them and call him back with my decision".
I'm open to suggestions/ opinions. What do you think?
Well, i have had ovarian drilling done and am still waiting for my BFP. Ovarian Drilling gives you a 3-6 month window to get pregnant naturally before leaning towards the help of clomid or femara. Also, if you have irregular cycles, it will regulate them. I am 3 months post op and have had my cycles every 28 days like clockwork, with natural ovulation... that is a big step up! Ovarian Drilling definitely has its benefits and its no guarantee that you WILL get pregnant a month after the surgery, thats not to say that you wont. Also, you said you were worried about getting the surgery in march and not be able to go to the externship in April. Well, recovery differs amongst individuals. Personally, i was back up and running a week after surgery. I had a post op 6 days after and i was out and about the following day! recovery after laproscopy really isnt that long. Krystle also had it done and she is a little firecracker, she was walking around and doing things 4 days in. So it all depends on how quickly your body can recover. The incisions are really minuscule so i cannot imagine a long recovery period. I think you should decide whether you want to do the externship or get pregnant first since you had Pre-E and do have a big possibility of becoming pregnant shortly after the surgery. I am happy i did the surgery because even though i am not pregnant yet, there were a lot of benefits... Good luck, let us know what you decide..
btw, you should definitely do some research on all the options he presented you with, My dr gave me the same homework haha. i love awesome, proactive drs!
Wow, sounds like you have a lot to think about. I don't know anything about a lap or ovarian drilling, but I agree with Rita that you need to decide what's more important. I sort of know how you feel in that if I were to get pregnant right now, it would mess up next busy season which I don't want to do but I also still want another baby. It's hard to "schedule" things out. I have faith that things will work out. By the way, have you ever looked into the Dr. Brewer diet for when you are pregnant to prevent pre-E and bed rest??? I went through the Bradley classes and that was one of the requirements and our instructor said her record was perfect with students on the Dr. Brewer diet not getting pre-e. Just a thought.
Rita, I had the same thoughts, since it was laproscopic that it wouldn't take that long to recover but he said it depends on if they find a lot of endo or adhesions to remove . . . that is the part that stinks! The externship would only be affected by a long recovery time not pregnancy. Pregnancy could affect school next semester. No decisions have been made yet, DH and I talked briefly at lunch but will discuss it more again on our drive home. It would be ideal if I could call my doctor and say "can you get me in next week?" Then even if I did have to have a few weeks to recover I could still do it . . . but how likely is that to happen?
ON A SIDE NOTE **** DH is so in the dog house! I was telling him about my appointment and when I said that the doc's first suggestion was surgery, DH assumed a hysterectomy and he wanted me to do it!!! Not happy with him.
Beth, I have seen you mention that diet before but shame on me, I haven't looked into it. I should do that. TFS.
Aww DH probably just didnt want you in anymore pain during your cycles is why
It does sound like a very hard decision. Are you still getting Gastric Bypass in may? If you did wait until closer to after school you could still TTC in 6 months but you'd be down in weight, have a surgery to help your fertility and I bet you'd get pregnant right away! Its totally up to you though hun, Im not much help here probably :S
It would be ideal if I could call my doctor and say "can you get me in next week?" Then even if I did have to have a few weeks to recover I could still do it . . . but how likely is that to happen?
actually, its not impossible. I know many doctors that have a few surgery dates scheduled a month, some even once a week! so you might get lucky! i was scheduled for my ovarian drilling 3 weeks after my initial consultation! and the weeks flew by! If you are considering it at all, id call and find out what is their next available surgical date just to give you an idea!
Amanda, I'm hoping to still have WLS around May, I'm not having gastric bypass though. I want the vertical sleeve gastrectomy.
Rita, I thought about doing that . . . there are just so many other factors. Like I have classes now and work . . . but I'm also at the point in my cycle that I'm starting to hurt so that kind of puts a spin on it.