Metformin Vs Clomid?

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2011, 09:01 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I was just diagnosed with PCOS and my Dr wants to do an HSG before he starts me on any meds but is considering metformin for me... I am having some concerns mainly since met is a diabetes med and my insulin levels are normal I am afraid that the med will start up some insulin issues and also the GI side effects sound horrendous! A friend of mine was on it she said for a year and said that she was practically chained to her bathroom b/c of the med but she is a total alarmist and I am not sure how much is her making a mountain out of a mole hill
I am also researching clomid as well and am finding some info that is making me think it might be worth speaking with my Dr about esp since my insulin is normal
so ppl who have taken one or both, what was your experiences with it?
TIA!
March 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM
Ritzbitz's Avatar In love with my daughter
PCOS has a lot to do with insulin and you do not need to have diabetes to take Metformin. Many of the ladies here who are on Met have nothing to do with Diabetes, so don't worry, it wont mess with anything in that sense. You may have some constipation or even the opposite, diarhea in the beginning but you will build a tolerance to it. I do not think anyone had severe issues with Met as far as i recall. Correct me if im wrong ladies. Clomid is VERY different from Metformin. Clomid is used to produce mature follies and help you ovulate and is used for a certain number of days in your cycle whereas metformin is used EVERYDAY and in much higher doses then clomid. It also sometimes helps subside some pcos side effects. Its not 100% on that, some women get regular cycles with it whereas others dont. It all varies by individual obviously.

Im currently on Metformin, havent taken clomid but i hear from many that it dries you up and Femara is much better. Metformin is a long term thing whereas clomid and femara arent.

hope some of that helped

thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

March 1st, 2011, 10:06 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Well said, Rita!

I've been on it for 2yrs now & it has helped me lose weight & helps keep bad cravings at bay.
March 1st, 2011, 07:22 PM
Veteran
I'm on 1500 of Met right now and have been for about a year now. I'm taking it for messed up insulin levels, but I'm not diabetic right now. The OB figured that correcting the insulin problems would make everything work better, and hopefully make things better for ttc. I've still got some GI issues with it, but it's very pridictable and pretty much everyone gets to it eventually from what I've read too. You can adjust your diet to make things easier for your guts as well when you're on met... It hasn't caused much of a weight loss for me, but I'm not gaining anymore which is a good side effect of it.

My Clomid side effects were mostly just headaches... The 6 cycles I've done of 50mgs of it haven't brought a bfp sadly...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search