Inspired...

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So I was listening to Dr. Oz this morning on our local radio morning show and they started talking about Type II diabetes which led one of the radio hosts to discuss how she has PCOS and had infertility issues (she did eventually have a child about 2 years ago). First of all it was so scary listening to him talk about how close PCOS and Type II diabetes are and how I do NOT want to go down that road. Also, it was inspiring to hear how the radio host was able to cut out her white foods and help her weight and infertility issues. I also thought it was interesting how they discussed that it was better to be selfish and take care of yourself.

So I just know I have to do something. I think I need to figure out a diet plan and stick with it and more importantly, get on an exercise routine. Grrr, why does this stuff seem so impossibly difficult?

March 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know, it scares me TOO!
My doctor told me that with PCOS, you will eventually get Diabetes.
Eating right & excersising is only biding your time. Scary, huh?

But yes, cutting out whites is a HUGE positive, but also a HUGE part of my life to give up! lol
Starches are my FAVES & wheat is NOT the same! ha
March 7th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Hoping To Be A Mommy
I am telling you, Beth- I took 3 days of 150 mg Clomid this time (quit because my body could tell it was TOO strong) and had a 29 mm follicle that was releasing on its own!
Versus the cycle I got pg, I took FIVE days of 150 mg, had a 20 mm follicle and needed a trigger shot to O.

The difference- VERY LOW CARB diet! I swear by it.
March 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok, I'm back and somewhat less inspired. I went and looked for a diet and came up with the South Beach diet since it's low GI and I have a lot of the materials already (never read them or used them before). Well I went looking at Phase 1 for 2 weeks and basically you can't eat any starches or fruits, just protein and certain veggies with 2 cups of dairy. I seriously cannot do that. I don't like anything, I'm such a picky eater. I hate that about myself and I've tried to change and I have gotten a lot better, but I won't be able to do it for 2 weeks. Not to mention, I'm in busy season so I have zero time and they order all this horrible food for us. I really want to do this but not do any of the work? How bad does that sound?

On top of all that, I hate being THAT person who is like "oh I'm on a diet, so I can't eat that". Am I just lost forever? How can I like vegetables?

March 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Lynley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I lasted about two days on the South Beach Diet - I'm picky, too, and I'm sorry, but I'm just not eating fish. But the idea behind South Beach (or any lower-carb plan) does work - restrict your carbs for the first two weeks (stick w/ lean protein and veggies for the most part), and then after those first two weeks, add in fruits and maybe a little brown rice or whole wheat bread. The key is cutting out all the crap - sugar, candy, bad-for-you fats (i.e. SB encourages things like almonds, though they do have fat in them), white potatoes/rice/bread, etc. The trick about low-carbing (which my husband has done successfully, losing 150 lbs a few years ago) is that it's really hard to maintain the loss if you go back to eating "the old way." Start adding those carbs back in (especially the bad ones), and the weight will come back.

I'm certainly not one to dispense advice, but the new Weight Watchers PointsPlus program is a really good one - it now takes into account protein, carbs, fat, and fiber into the calculations of the points, and you really do have some flexibility (WWers like to say that nothing's "illegal" - everything in moderation).

I've done just about every diet out there, and the only way I've ever successfully lost weight and kept it off was by reducing my carbs, cutting out sugar, and exercising some every day. The key is finding what will work for you. Good luck, honey - it's a struggle, but you're in good company!!!

March 8th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I know it's going to be tough. I love my carbs, but I have got to make a drastic change in my life. I have all the right reasons to do it, I just have to find my motivation and do it. I think this will help me like more vegetables too, which is another one of my goals. I don't want my son to grow up as picky as I am. I'm not a fan really of any diet that cuts out any 1 item forever, but South Beach recharges your body for the first 2 weeks and I think I can do anything for 2 weeks, right? And then slowly reintroduces it. And from what I understand, your body stops craving it once you stop eating it. The only problem is going to be all these work events, like next Tuesday is dessert day, how do I avoid that completely? And different events out with my family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search