Intro

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2011, 04:53 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I found out yesterday that I have PCOS.
I wanted to join this board to learn more about it.
My DR thinks this is the reason for my 3 losses.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
March 8th, 2011, 04:57 AM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Lindsey!

I'm sorry about your losses & diagnosis, but I'm glad you found US!
Hearing you have a fertility disease is heartbreaking, but the good news is that it isn't a death sentence. Most women with PCOS go on to have a healthy pregnany, if not many.

Tell us a little about yourself! How long have you been TTC? Have you used any MA? Do you temp?

I'm Amber, host of this board, & I have been TTC# for 2.5 years with 4 losses, so I know how hard it is to deal with miscarriages. We have done 6 rounds of clomid & 3 IUI's w/ injectables, & in April I'm doing my last IUI before my husband deploys. Fun stuff, huh?

I hope you love it here & jump right in!
Here's to hoping for a short & sweet journey for you to hold your baby!
March 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyto4AngelBabies View Post
Hi Lindsey!

I'm sorry about your losses & diagnosis, but I'm glad you found US!
Hearing you have a fertility disease is heartbreaking, but the good news is that it isn't a death sentence. Most women with PCOS go on to have a healthy pregnany, if not many.

Tell us a little about yourself! How long have you been TTC? Have you used any MA? Do you temp?

I'm Amber, host of this board, & I have been TTC# for 2.5 years with 4 losses, so I know how hard it is to deal with miscarriages. We have done 6 rounds of clomid & 3 IUI's w/ injectables, & in April I'm doing my last IUI before my husband deploys. Fun stuff, huh?

I hope you love it here & jump right in!
Here's to hoping for a short & sweet journey for you to hold your baby!

About 5 years ago I was having pain and no periods so I saw a DR. She thought I might have PCOS I had no health insurance and could not afford to get into it further. She wanted me to do charting and being it back in after 3 months so she can see my cycles... Well I never got a cycle or a temp spike my chart was pretty much like this.............
So because I was no TTC at that time and the pain went away I never thought about it again. That summer I got pregnant we were not using protection because I thought It wont happen with my cycles. So because I got pregnant with no medical intervention I thought Oh I must not have PCOS because i was under the understanding with PCOS you will need clomid or stonger drugs to get pregnant. I did end up lossing that baby and was seeing a new DR at this time and they just said its a common thing to loss your first pregnancy. I never mentioned my history or anything with them and the thought of PCOS never crossed my mind again until yesterday.

I got pregnant 7 months later and Now have a 3yr old with out any medical intervention. I asked the DR pretty much why did she make it? He said her and I just got really lucky.

So summer of 2010 I got pregnant again (unplanned) and lost that baby in the 8th week (found out at 9 weeks) So of course that made me want another baby really bad. With this pregnancy I started with my New DR. I had to have a D&C in Oct.

Fast forward to December I got pregnant again. He followed my levels and we even had a heart beat at 6 weeks. i went to my 10 week appt and asked for a ultrasound because I just had this feeling... sure enough baby stopped growing at 8 weeks and HB was gone. I am still waiting to miscarry this one (3 weeks waiting now).

I went in yesterday for a follow up and another ultra sound to see if the miscarriage is progessing and will start soon. During this visit we started talking and he said I have a couple quesitons for you... I said yes to all of them he said I am going to diagnose you with PCOS and really believe this is the reason for all your losses.

He is also doing my clotting panel again and thyriod again to be sure but said he is almost positive I have PCOS and started me on Metformin last night. Taking 1 500mg at night for 2 weeks then bumping up to 500mg in the morning and another at night. Also wants me to start baby asprin once we start to TTC again.

Sorry I wrote a novel but that is my story of what got me here.

March 8th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Ritzbitz's Avatar In love with my daughter
Welcome Lindsey... We've got a great group of ladies here so as Amber said, just jump right in...

I am so sorry to hear about your losses, must be difficult!

Im Rita (24) and DH is Arthur (25) and we have been ttc #1 with pcos for 16 months now! we did a round of follistim with 2 IUI's and that didnt work for us so i had Ovarian Drilling surgery done in December. I now have regular cycles and am ovulating on my own and my dr is hopeful about me getting pregnant on my own! I'm currently in the tww, so we'll see

i have a question... How did your doc determine you had PCOS? did he find cysts on your ovaries? was there b/w to confirm? The reason i ask is because there could be a different reason for your losses. PCOS usually results in difficulty to pregnant, and you've managed to do so on several different occasions! (which is great btw!!) there could be an underlying problem. It could be your progesterone levels. A friend of mine had no issue getting pregnant but had 2 or 3 losses before her doctor realized her progesterone was low and gave her prometrium suppositories. She is now in her 2nd trimester with a healthy baby boy! So it doesnt have to be PCOS. It could also be a thyroid issue. I'd request so bloodwork to rule out the above mentioned because it doesnt sound like PCOS to me.

Well anyway,

Welcome here again and as Am said, we hope your stay with us isnt too long and you will have your baby soon!

thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

March 8th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Hoping To Be A Mommy
Welcome!
You will love it here!
I am Maggie (24) and DH is Rob (25) - we have been trying to have a baby since May '10. So not as long as some girls' journeys but hard nonetheless. We are currently on our 5th round of Clomid.
I'm sorry about your angels. I have experienced two losses myself, I know it's not fun.
I sincerely hope now that they have the diagnosis going, your TTC journey is short and sweet!!
Good luck and I really look forward to getting to know you!
March 8th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzbitz View Post
Welcome Lindsey... We've got a great group of ladies here so as Amber said, just jump right in...

I am so sorry to hear about your losses, must be difficult!

Im Rita (24) and DH is Arthur (25) and we have been ttc #1 with pcos for 16 months now! we did a round of follistim with 2 IUI's and that didnt work for us so i had Ovarian Drilling surgery done in December. I now have regular cycles and am ovulating on my own and my dr is hopeful about me getting pregnant on my own! I'm currently in the tww, so we'll see

i have a question... How did your doc determine you had PCOS? did he find cysts on your ovaries? was there b/w to confirm? The reason i ask is because there could be a different reason for your losses. PCOS usually results in difficulty to pregnant, and you've managed to do so on several different occasions! (which is great btw!!) there could be an underlying problem. It could be your progesterone levels. A friend of mine had no issue getting pregnant but had 2 or 3 losses before her doctor realized her progesterone was low and gave her prometrium suppositories. She is now in her 2nd trimester with a healthy baby boy! So it doesnt have to be PCOS. It could also be a thyroid issue. I'd request so bloodwork to rule out the above mentioned because it doesnt sound like PCOS to me.
Well anyway,

Welcome here again and as Am said, we hope your stay with us isnt too long and you will have your baby soon!

He asked me tons of questions and did a ultrasound to check on my miscarriage progression and was looking at other things while there I assume he checked my ovaries. He told me that checking for cycts is old school and now they have learned it does not mean anything (he is a newer DR) He said there is no true test for this you just have to look for signs and symptoms.
I questioned that because I can get pregnant with almost no problems and in a couple months of trying or not even trying at all, that I thought that meant I did not have it. He said there are different forms of it and they are working on new names but I fall under that catagory where when they seperate them I will have a new name to mine if they give it a new name??? I am kinda confused. I felt so great that I thought I had answers and now that I talked to people with PCOS they are telling me no way I have it and these meds will probably mess up my incoline and make me sick.... So I have no clue what to do now and losing hope again.
They have tested me for clotthing issues and Thyriod about 3 or 4 times in the last couple years because my mom has it. They have taken tons of blood from me and done tons of tests that I can not remember the names to.

As far as my cycles when I do keep track and temp and us OPKs some months I never get a spike on OPKs or when temping. Also I dont always ovulate on the same day every month some times is cd13 some its cd16.
When I conceved my daughter I was on birth control Low dose for 6 months and that next month after I got pregnant with her right away maybe because the birth control had me in a pattern?

While pregnant they watch my progesterone and they are around 30 or above every time so he said that is not my problem.

March 8th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Ritzbitz's Avatar In love with my daughter
Hmm... thats odd..

First off, i have to disagree completely with your doctor. I know i am not physician but ive seen my share of them over the past 16 months and i assure you, and i can guarantee that the rest of the girls here would have my back on this, the only way to really confirm pcos is with an u/s. sure, there are symptoms that everyone looks out for as a sign of it but the only real way to get a for sure answer is an u/s with bloodwork to back it up! i mean, the u/s shows your polycystic ovaries. there is no maybe you do or maybe you dont have it. Ive seen numerous doctors and they wouldnt do anything, or even have a consult with me about getting pregnant until they did a transvaginal u/s to confirm pcos. Did you happen to glance at your u/s screen during it? if your ovaries looked like this:

then you have PCOS, if they look like this:

then you dont have it...

I still think if you are able to get pregnant so easily, especially being on birth control, there is NO WAY you have PCOS! your doctor can call it whatever he wants but its not PCOS.

i know you are confused at this point because of what ppl are telling you and what the doctor is telling you, but take it from women who have been at this for years! there is an underlying problem hun, and its not pcos!

thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

March 8th, 2011, 08:25 AM
So what do I do then? Do I not take this metformin?
The nurse just called and I asked her about it and she said I can ask for him to do blood tests once I have my miscarriage and that my tyriod came back normal and my progestrone is now at a 7 so my miscarriage should start in the next couple days.

I did ask him about the ultrasound to check you ovaries and he said that is the old school way of doing it and now they are learning it doesnt mean as much as they though it did.
His wife has PCOS so he said he has taken a interest in it and when in school did extra studing in it.
He is a new DR so he is not older and stuck in his way like most are.

I guess when I pass this baby I will make another appointment and question him on this. and Ask why he feels this way

March 8th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Found this while looking online to see how to get tested for it... and it pretty much say what my DR told me to the T.

Diagnosis of PCOS can be difficult since a specific test can't be performed nor is there a set list of symptoms that doctors can look for. Each woman’s experience of PCOS is unique because no two women have the exact same symptoms. However, a diagnosis is usually made when a woman has irregular or absent periods, in addition to signs of hyperandrogenism without another medical cause. When a woman has infrequent, absent or irregular periods, it is a sign that ovulation may not be occurring. The doctor will try to rule out other conditions that could cause irregular periods, such as thyroid disease.

March 8th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Hoping To Be A Mommy
That is crazy.. I was diagnosed when I was 15. We went to the dr BECAUSE of absent periods, but it was all followed up with bloodwork and ultrasound. It's pretty much guaranteed that Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome will show polycystic ovaries on ultrasound. That is, after all, what it is. There are too many other conditions LIKE PCOS that I think it's really irresponsible for any doctor to diagnose without confirmation. You could be treating the wrong thing completely. And the blood work is for good reason- to test your hormones. Like, with me, I produce too much estrogen- not too much testosterone like most PCOS. So my treatments and symptoms are a bit different than those treating high testosterone. I think it'd be best to get a second opinion.
I would do what you feel comfortable with, but know the risks of taking a medicine like Metformin without proof that your body is indeed insulin resistent.
Good luck, love.
March 8th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie831 View Post
That is crazy.. I was diagnosed when I was 15. We went to the dr BECAUSE of absent periods, but it was all followed up with bloodwork and ultrasound. It's pretty much guaranteed that Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome will show polycystic ovaries on ultrasound. That is, after all, what it is. There are too many other conditions LIKE PCOS that I think it's really irresponsible for any doctor to diagnose without confirmation. You could be treating the wrong thing completely. And the blood work is for good reason- to test your hormones. Like, with me, I produce too much estrogen- not too much testosterone like most PCOS. So my treatments and symptoms are a bit different than those treating high testosterone. I think it'd be best to get a second opinion.
I would do what you feel comfortable with, but know the risks of taking a medicine like Metformin without proof that your body is indeed insulin resistent.
Good luck, love.
I had another DR that thought I had it but I did not have the money to follow up with Blood work and ultrasounds back then. My periods have always been all over the place until my first pregnancy now they ranged from 27 days to sometime 40 days.

I guess I am not going to take anymore of the Metformin. I was just told by the nurse I have to wait until I am done with my miscarriage before they can do the glucose test on me.

So I guess I am back to the answer that nothing is wrong with me and my losses are just freak things because all my other blood tests have come back normal.

March 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hoping To Be A Mommy
What blood tests did they run? Do you know?
March 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM
The took like 6 things of blood last fall and I can not remember what the tests were expect one was for clotting.
Yesterday he wanted to recheck my thyroid again and it came back normal.

March 13th, 2011, 01:30 PM
BuckeyeGal23's Avatar Happy Mommy
Hi Lindsey! Sorry I am late to this intro thread. I'm so sorry for your losses - I have had two myself and it's so hard.

You're correct in that PCOS shows up differently in a lot of women - for instance, I don't have the insulin resistance or weight problems that most women w/ PCOS have - I just have polycystic ovaries and my b/w confirmed that. I'd be interested in what your b/w said - your fsh/lh levels are typically what a diagnosis is made off of.

I hope you get some answers soon!

Mommy to Cameron, my amazing son born 10/11/2011
March 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGal23 View Post
Hi Lindsey! Sorry I am late to this intro thread. I'm so sorry for your losses - I have had two myself and it's so hard.

You're correct in that PCOS shows up differently in a lot of women - for instance, I don't have the insulin resistance or weight problems that most women w/ PCOS have - I just have polycystic ovaries and my b/w confirmed that. I'd be interested in what your b/w said - your fsh/lh levels are typically what a diagnosis is made off of.

I hope you get some answers soon!
I ended up going and getting a second opinon and they agreed with my OB. I Guess she looked at my lab work since they all use the same lab and then called my Ob (I had to wait in the room for 45 minutes for her to check it all out). She said she agrees with his diagnosis and thinks Metformin will be a good thing for me all around.... she also thinks I am anemic and tested me for that as well.
I just hope once I have this miscarriage my periods will come back to some what normal and I dont skip ovulation again for a couple months... so frustrating to watch the line get a little darker on the OPK and never get positive. I have only charted 2 times in my life, one was before kids and after 90 some days and never getting a spike or a period I just gave up. Then I charted December the month I got pregnant. So I am going to try and get a couple months of charting to back up the OPKs.
Now I need to get myself regulated on Metformin cause I took it 2 days last week and it tore my tummy up. I stopped it to get a second opinon and started it again tonight.

March 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
I kinda skimmed this but I want to point out that I was DX with PCOS and I do NOT have polycystic ovaries but I did have a cyst. So it does have different affects, but then again, thats assuming my doctor was right too :shrug:
March 13th, 2011, 07:24 PM
aprils242001's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to aprils242001
Welcome to the board sorry for your loss. I had one in Oct it is hard.
I have to say I was diagnosed with PCOS also but my ovaries don't look like that. You can have it with out looking that way. I hope the met works and you get a sticky BFP soon!
March 13th, 2011, 07:25 PM
**rockinmomma**
Totally late to this thread, but I do want to say, there has been some new research in the PCOS field. They are now getting ready to add different types of PCOS categories... I've seen it in some medical journals... They are saying it's not necessarily having to do with the cysts on the ovaries. It's like they called it PCOS because at the time they correlated the cysts with the issues, but after more research they realize it can be other things too, but the name will always stick... Hope this makes sense.

Also my a lot of the newer doctors are more aggressive and willing to look into infertility... that's been my experience anyway..

GL, I hope your time on this board isn't long!
March 14th, 2011, 02:03 AM
TJSRLS08's Avatar Pregnant with Twins!
Very late coming to this thread as well but I had to throw in my experience.

When I was diagnosed I never had a u/s based upon my other symptoms is why she diagnosed PCOS. I have the facial hair issue, the missing periods and the weight gain with insulin resistance.
March 14th, 2011, 05:33 AM
BuckeyeGal23's Avatar Happy Mommy
The symptoms are very different in everyone, and I think they lump a lot of similar issues into the PCOS category because the end result is the same - no ovulation. And I have gotten pregnant without MA, so it's not like it's impossible, it's just good timing

Mommy to Cameron, my amazing son born 10/11/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search