New car seat guidlines

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2011, 07:45 AM
bluebawler's Avatar country*mama*wannabe
What do you all think of them?

What are your pros & cons for them?

Now don't get me wrong, when I have kids I'll want them to be safe but I think they're ridiculous. I don't like the the fact they have sit backwards until they're 2 years old nor have to be in a booster seat until almost 8-12 years old. My nephew is big for his age and If we had kept him in the rear facing car seat until he was 2 his legs would dangle over and his knees would be in his face.

I remember when I was little that I would sit in my Mammy's lap while she was driving all the way to her house. When we would go on vacation me and my sisters would be jumping all over the van lol. Nothing happened to us.
March 28th, 2011, 08:36 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
both my kiddos are in the 98% for height, and we didn't turn them to forward facing until after their second birthdays. It is so much safer to have them rearward facing.

Internal decapitation, This could happen to your child!

internal decapitation is a very serious thing. most kids sit cross legged anyway, If they were uncomfortable they would say something.

we jsut moved my 4 y/o to a booster seat, I didn't want to change him out of his 5 pt harness yet, but the car seat was too small for him. I don't have any issues with him being in the seat until he is the correct height, weather that be at 8/9 years olf or 12/13/14 years old.

I'd rather them be safe than dead.

As for jumping all over the place not wearing seatbelts, yeah most of us won't have accidents, but what if you are one of the ones that does? What if your child is thrown from your car because "nothing happend to you when you were a kid"

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

Last edited by 3Sapphires; March 28th, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
March 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have much an opinion on it because I don't have kids, but whatever I can do to keep them safer, I'm okay with.
March 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ami - I agree with you 100%. Most people's complaints with the new regulations are that their feet touch the seat. First of all, most kids are used to sitting in weird positions that would seem uncomfortable to us. Don't believe me? watch any kid. Noah makes me cringe when he sits on his legs all funny. Second, I would much rather Noah break both of his legs and have him still be alive than to have his neck break and be dead. We will be keeping Noah in his rear facing seat until AT LEAST 2 but hopefully longer!!!

Bluebawler - There are a lot of things I can say "Oh, well we did that when we were kids and we turned out just fine", but do I want to be the one responsible when my kid dies in a car accident, just because I never thought it would happen to me. I personally don't want to gamble with my child's life.

In the end, as a parent, it's just a decision (of many) you will have to make and you will have to live with those consequences. If you feel 100% comfortable putting your child front facing, then you should do it. But you should know what could happen if you don't. Just google some of the videos for rear facing car seats vs front facing...it's amazing!

*stepping off my soapbox now*

My Blog
March 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Super Mommy
I'm a certified senior car seat technician, and I have to say that I strongly agree with these "new" guidelines... We've been suggesting this for years, but now it's just recent that they've been passed. After seeing what I've seen, my kids will be rear facing at minimum until 2 years old, and in a 5 point harness thereafter.

This has me fuming! The impact of a crash, with a child not in a booster seat where the seat belt does not properly fit can damage so many internal organs and literally snap a child in half - not something that I'm willing to risk. ...and the force of impact of a toddler rear facing is so much less then forward facing, and less of a chance of their neck snapping. Again not something that I'm willing to risk. A child knows NO DIFFERENT between sitting rear facing or forward facing! I'm fuming, I need to stop. Ami and Beth, I'm in 100% agreement!
March 28th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Super Mommy
Jumping on the bandwagon, I like the new guidelines, DD is 2.5 years and still rear facing despite being over the 99%ile for height, she is the height of at least the average 3 year old and is totally comfy rearfacing (good quality seats are deep and she likes keeping her legs crossed or even stretched up the seat). Even with reflux, she manages to remain rearfacing. It is at least 5 times safer to be rearfacing

I think you notice the importance of these things when you don't have them, because in Australia they have THE worst laws for a developed nation, people regularly turn their children forward facing at 6 months :O They use the same seats as the US but because of the tethering used in Australia they are tested differently, and they don't allow the same weight limits to remain rearfacing longer (even though the seats are the same as the US). It's crazy, I think the US is so lucky to have good quality seats and laws which take into account the most up to date research on car seat safety.

After TTC for so long, I am not prepared to let something as simple as the direction or type of car seat put my child at 5 times the risk, they do research for a reason and I listen to all of that advice about medications to conceive, food/drink during pregnancy etc. why not soemthing as important as car seat safety!!!

That's me, I really do think that "they" sometimes go overboard with safety guidelines and recommendations, but for me cars are so dangerous to begin with, I would rather leave DD rearfacing and keep her safer (5 times safer in fact)

But people have the right to do what they believe is best for their children, and I respect their right to do that, I will just quietly disagree (unless you ask my opinion, which I clearly am willing to give )

Thank you so much BAM for my awesome siggy

March 28th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Wow, I'm seem to have upset everyone. I didn't really think it would be that controversial. Sorry!! I guess I'm just old timey but I think that sometimes the rules can go a little far. I dunno you all are parents and I'm not so ya'll know a little more about it than I do but this was still an interesting topic!
March 28th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Super Mommy
I'm not a parent...yet - just have a strong opinion on it cause I've seen some bad things happen to babies with my job. I think where everyone is coming from is that we have all tried so long to have these babies and we want to keep them as safe as possible, and if it's as simple as rear facing for an extra year that's what we'll do! I don't think anyone was meaning to attack, and I'm sorry if I came off that way...this issue just gets me fuming in general! Sorry
March 28th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Super Mommy
I wasn't upset I am a recent convert to the whole car seat safety thing because I have a friend who I lovingly refer to as the "car seat Nazi"! She leaves notes on peoples cars about seats that are not properly installed and the benefits of rearfacing, so I am a little brainwashed (thankfully)

I just think that there is so much that can go wrong that we have NO control over, like illnesses, natural disasters, accidents, but we can contain the impact on a child in a car accident by restraining them as best we can with the information of the day

But I agree, there is so much to think about and so much advice it gets really intrusive in your life, I mean I slept DD on her side (for medical reasons) and I swaddled her for a very long time and people have opinions about the safety of that, but I did what I thought was right for her. We all do what we think is best for our children, I just don't trust the idiots out on the road so I do get extra protective about Hanna and her car seat

Thank you so much BAM for my awesome siggy

March 28th, 2011, 07:31 PM
*Mrs.J.2011*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is something Chris and I had discussed in length about a year ago when we started talking about a family. He was against it at first, until i showed him the crash dummies videos and he saw exactly what I was talking about. I'm glad these guidelines (which have been highly suggested for a few years) are finally becoming more recognized. Our babies will be rear facing until at least 2 years and in a 5 point harness seat for many years after!

Missing our little "Duckie" since 06-22-09
March 29th, 2011, 05:55 AM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, I'm not upset at all. I just wanted my opinion out there because this is something I feel strongly about. I don't necessarily agree with all safety rules. I'm actually happy you brought out the topic and I think it's good for everyone to know. Even though some of us in here don't even have kiddos yet, we probably know friends or family that do or are about to and it's good to spread the word. We try for so long to conceive and birth our kids, we just want to be safe and protect them for as long as we can!

My Blog
March 29th, 2011, 07:01 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so is there now a weight restriction for getting out of boosters too? The article I read just said they need to be in a booster until they are 4ft 9.... my 7 year old is 4ft 6 and 60 pounds

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
March 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Whew!! That's a load off my chest because I thought I had upset everyone. I think its a little odd because I have a sister-in-law that's almost 40 years old and she is 4'10''. She's one inch over, is she supposed to be in a booster seat? That's why I think they need to customize car seat belts to better fit the children and the seating equipment. On her it's cutting off on her neck because she's so short and her son is the same way. His is gonna be 4 years old and we have a 2 year old in our church that is taller than him! So what are they gonna do if he is shorter than 4'9'' the rest of his life? I don't see a 20 year old being too happy in a booster seat. What about the car seats in general? Not a lot of people can afford to go out and buy new vehicles in order to fit all the seats in the back seat. For example; people who own cars and not things like vans or jeeps or suv's. What are they gonna do if they cannot afford a new vehicle? MrsMixon, I looked for the weight limit for 4'9'' and I couldn't find it but I'll look some more. All I could find is 4'9'' AND 8-12 years old, nothing about weight limit so I do think there are loop holes in the new guidelines.
March 29th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
I am all for the new guidelines. I just read a story and it literally sent chills up my arm. If you are still on the fence, you should check it out and see the results of a horrific crash with proper car seat techniques. I'm not trying to get preachy but this is a good reminder on why it is important.

CarseatNanny: Why I do what I do
March 29th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMixon View Post
so is there now a weight restriction for getting out of boosters too? The article I read just said they need to be in a booster until they are 4ft 9.... my 7 year old is 4ft 6 and 60 pounds
80 pounds

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search