Question for you ladies...kind of long.

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2012, 10:56 AM
JJsmom's Avatar Veteran
I have an appointment with my OB in a month so I'm going to talk to her about possibly having PCOS, but I wanted y'alls input since y'all all seem very well informed. I've been married almost 6 years now and when we first got married, I got on the pill. Then a couple years later, my sister in law (she's a doctor) told me just how bad the pill actually is for me so I got off of it. I've also struggled with over eating my whole life and have always been bigger. A couple years ago I gained a lot of weight. I got up to 277lbs, and for some stupid reason decided to get back on the pill. I was also a smoker. A few months after being on the pill, I developed a very large and extremely painful DVT in my right leg and the doctor told me I can never take birth control pills again. In January of 2011 I decided to get healthy. I quit smoking and I've now lost 94 pounds. I still have about 40 more I'd like to lose. I started seeing a new Chiropractor in March who deals with functional medicine and she did some tests on me and told me that my body is so stressed right now that it would not let me get pregnant if I tried. I forgot to mention that i have a skin tag on my neck and I have a TON of thick hairs that grow on my chin and neck. I have to pluck about 3 times a week it's so bad. I also just found a hair on my back and one on my breast. So my Chiropractor told me she could help me and we would figure out where a lot of the stress is coming from (food wise) and she would have my body back in order in a few months. No more facial hair, and fertile. A couple weeks into her treatment plan, I got an email informing me that she had to take an indefinite leave of absense because her father was dying. I have been in a depression ever since because I thought I was finally going to get everything in order and get my body ready for a baby. So after all that back story, my question is, does it sound like I have PCOS or could it be that I'm just so stressed all the time that it's causing a hormone imbalance? My sypmtoms are dandruff, skin tags, lots of facial hair, depression (ongoing), BUT I have very regular periods. Every 28 days, by the book. I have noticed they aren't as heavy as they used to be, but they're still very regular. The only time I ever had issues with being irregular was right after stopping BC pills. I've also read about anovulatory cycles, but it seems those women's cycles are much more spaced out and longer than mine. I feel like I'm doing everything they tell women to do with PCOS, like losing weight, exercising. I even eat low carb, but it hasn't helped with my facial hair at all so I'm assuming I still have a hormone imbalance. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
June 21st, 2012, 06:32 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
PCOS presents itself differently in everyone so it's possible you have it since you have several symptoms. Not everyone who has it has irregular periods, some people don't even know there is something wrong till they go to get pregnant and can't. Really the only one who will be able to tell you for certain is your doctor. They can do a blood screen to check your hormones, an ultrasound to check for cysts, or diagnose you through process of elimination.

I have really bad facial hair so I feel you on that. I haven't found anything that helps with it other than getting laser hair removal done. Even that was only temporary. So I'm not really any help in that regard.
June 21st, 2012, 08:54 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's very possible you do have it. Can't hurt to get checked out. I know most women with PCOS have the irregular periods, but occasionally there will be one who has a normal cycle. I know when I was tested my OBGYN at the time told me the number one sign of PCOS was facial hair... She said typically all other symptoms of PCOS can be caused by other factors, but facial hair is typically leading to PCOS because of elevated testosterone (i believe it was testosterone she said)

June 22nd, 2012, 09:24 AM
-Brandy-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies. Also, my sister (who has PCOS as well) has been having electrolysis done on the hair on her chin, it is almost gone and will not come back like laser hair removal. The electrolysis burns the bed of the hair, it takes some time to get all of it (since hair grows in cycles) but is definitely something to look into... I will be as soon as the baby is here (being that it is on my chin I could probably do it while pregnant, but I am scared so I will wait).

A BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search