TTC with PCOS need help

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
purvis_diana's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to purvis_diana Send a message via Skype™ to purvis_diana
I have pcos and dont have "normal" cycles. Don't remember when last real AF was. A few months ago, i spotted for about 2 1/2 weeks. I started spotting about 7 days ago and need period to finally start. Any tips? And Hoping for something herbal.
September 3rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry I don't really know anything herbal to help start AF. I tried something once (can't remember what it was) and it didn't work. My doctor prescribes me Provera to start AF.

If you don't have normal cycles you might not be ovulating either. Once your period does start you should use OPK's or chart your temps to make sure you are. If you aren't there are a couple things that can help you. Soy Isoflavones for example doesn't require a prescription.

Good luck!
purvis_diana likes this.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
September 3rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to purvis_diana Send a message via Skype™ to purvis_diana
Been taking FertilAid and trying various herbal teas, read online about parsley and a few others. Anyone know if any of these work?
September 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
I tried the parsley once to no avail.

Good luck hun!
September 3rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
thanks, parsley gave me cramps. thats about it so far. will keep u posted
September 3rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi there, I had fertility issues too and had finally seemed help with a fertility doctor. I was diagnosed with pcos as well. I now have 2 kids, 4yr old and 5 mths old.

If you haven't yet, I really suggest and recommend you go to a fertility doc. Time is precious. And before you know it, years could go by of being unsuccessful of getting pregnant. With the help of a fertility doctor, they can help prescrib something to boost your AF, and start that cycle.
September 3rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
I just moved to a new state. My last doctor didn't want to give meds but he was old fashioned. I just have to find one here. Thanks.

Last edited by purvis_diana; September 3rd, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
September 4th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Athme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have PCOS. Very bad. I have had surgery to remove cysts. I have periods maybe twice a year... etc

I am now pregnant. The first thing you need to know is if you are actually ovulating.

Once you know that you can take further steps
purvis_diana likes this.
September 4th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Well, this is my first post, and I'm brand-spankin-new here... so first: HELLO ladies!

Have you been on any type of BC pill or anything for hormones at all? The reason why i ask is:

I have had PCOS for at least 8 years now (I am currently 28 years old) but they first caught it about 3 years ago. Before that, anytime AF showed up (which was sometimes once a year, sometimes twice a month: depending), I would bleed so heavily that I would become anemic. My OB/GYN doc put me on birth control and I was on it for about 2 1/2 years continuously (rarely taking the sugar pills, and just going from one pkg to the next). I have now been off of the pill for approximately 6 months now, and since about 4 months ago have all of the sudden had a regular period every month since then, almost as predictable and "like clockwork" as can be. But it took me a little while to adjust, but for some reason it seemed to straighten me right out. Don't know if this was even in ANY way helpful, sorry. :/
purvis_diana likes this.
September 4th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Have been on BC but puts me in bed for 2 weeks. too painful to move, and Congrats on being regular
September 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Oh I remember what I tried! It was ginger and basil I think. Like I said it didn't work, but this stuff obviously works for someone so maybe you will have better luck.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
September 4th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I am thinking of trying the peppermint tea. hth
September 5th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Hi there, I've been taking Pregnitude. It is similar in function to Metformin, but is considered a "dietary supplement." Pregnitude | Reproductive Support*Dietary Supplement

I took it for a while and it seemed to help. But, we then decided to go to the RE and just charge full steam ahead. We are on a medicated protocol now. HTH.
September 5th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks bunches
September 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Crystal Lynn's Avatar Regular
Hi ladies, I know all of you are obviously familiar with PCOS so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer a few questions for me? First of all, I want to say that I don't know if I have PCOS or not. My dr said she thinks I have it but wants me to get checked out to see if I do for sure or not. So one of my questions is... what exactly do they check to find out if you have it or not? Is it just bloodwork & an exam? I'm not sure what to expect. Also, I have a blood clotting disorder so I'm a little nervous about all of this because if I do have it, I can't take any BC because of my disorder (and wouldn't want to anyway because I'm ttc) and I probably can't take many of the alternate meds for the same reason. I've seen some posts about herbals and assume I'll probably have to try my luck with that. But does anyone know if there are any meds that don't have any hormones in it that you can take to help regulate so you can conceive? I know metformin is a bp med that also helps ttc with pcos, but I dont know whats in it (like hormones,etc). I know I'm jumping to conclusions before I have official answers on whether I have pcos or not, but I'm trying to be prepared & be ahead of the game so to speak. I don't want any extra time wasted ttc if I can be ahead & know what my options are. I appreciate any feedback if anyone has any ideas or answers. Thanks Oh, and good luck to all of you ttc as well!
September 5th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Honestly diagnosing PCOS can be a pain in the butt. They can give you an ultrasound to see if you have a bunch of tiny cysts on your ovaries, but not all women with PCOS have them and not all women with poly-cystic ovaries actually have PCOS. They will probably do bloodwork to check your androgen (male hormone) levels as that's another indicator. They may test insulin but that's not even a good test for PCOS. Women with PCOS often have insulin resistance, which doesn't show up on the normal blood glucose test for diabetes. There is a test for it but it takes like 3 hours and involves being hooked up to an insulin IV and it's just not performed a whole lot. Other than that they diagnose based on symptoms. Do you have irregular periods? Hair in places you shouldn't? Weight problems? Anovulatory cycles? Etc. If they've ruled out anything else that could be causing those symptoms it's likely you have PCOS.

As far as the blood clotting issues, I'm really not sure. I can try and do some research on that and get back to you. I would now but dinner is done and DH is calling my name.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
September 5th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purvis_diana View Post
Have been on BC but puts me in bed for 2 weeks. too painful to move, and Congrats on being regular

Ah... So I'm guessing you werent on it long then. That's what appeared to have helped me in the long run, but obviouslysacrifices had to made for a while. :/
September 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Lynn View Post
I've seen some posts about herbals and assume I'll probably have to try my luck with that. But does anyone know if there are any meds that don't have any hormones in it that you can take to help regulate so you can conceive? I know metformin is a bp med that also helps ttc with pcos, but I dont know whats in it (like hormones,etc).
I believe Metformin doesnt have hormones, also, Vitex (no hormones) it works to regulate your (things i have been looking into myself. I also started green tea tonight. HTH
September 6th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Frozenoj ~ Thanks so much for the info! It sounds like it really is a pain in the butt to test for. But thank you for giving me the scoop on some of the possibilities. It's nice to have a little insight about it. I have looked up some of the symptoms already and they pretty much say what you told me. Which leads me to believe the chances I have it are high. I do have irregular periods, but every month I don't know what to expect. My range seems to be 31-38 day cycles but I have completely missed cycles in the past too, but not often. Sometimes its light and sometimes its fairly normal.. but so far this year, just about all of them are only spotting. I've been unsure if I should even call it a period! I don't think I usually have anovulatory cycles, but I don't know for sure since I haven't done opk's yet. Except if I miss one completely, then it most likely means it was anovulatory I suppose. I have noticed unwanted hair which is very embarrassing! On my chin & below my belly button Tweezers have become my best friend unfortunately. And yes to the weight issues. I've always fluctuated a little. I was always skinny & then a gradual increase over the years with fluctuations. But this year it seems like I just keep gaining for no reason & just last month I gained 10 lbs! So now I'm rebelling against food & trying to cut all food intake in 1/2, well, thats the goal anyway lol. But I've had a lot of weird things happen, especially lately that feels like my hormones are all out of whack. I kinda feel like a crazy person lately because of it. All of my typical pre-menstrual symptoms keep happening at random times that don't even make sense, like sore boobs the whole month,etc. Of course, I kept hoping I was pg but then get let down when I wasn't. I did have an u/s a couple months ago because they thought maybe I had a cyst on my ovaries due to all my symptoms, but they didn't find anything. Anyway, here I go writing a book lol. Thanks for all of the tips, I really appreciate it! I'm going to try to research as much as I can too.
September 6th, 2012, 05:00 PM
purvis_diana ~ Thanks for letting me know! I've never heard of Vitex before but I'll make sure to add that to my possibilities! And also Metformin too. That really makes me feel alot better knowing I might have some options I would prefer herbals probably first though. I am not familiar with any of the herbals that work so I'll have to try & research it. But I'll check into the green tea for sure! I have to be careful with herbals also, because vitamin k is something I have to watch out for. I can have it, but I have to adjust my blood thinners and maintain the same amount of vit. k each week. So when I start it I'll have to monitor extra close and again when I stop. But it's not totally out of the question for me, just more of a hassle than what most people would have to deal with I guess. But still worth it! Keep me posted about the green tea & if it works out for you! Thanks a bunch!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search