Metformin and TTC?

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Frozenoj
  • 1 Post By polarbearmama
  • 1 Post By purvis_diana

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 07:58 PM
purvis_diana's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to purvis_diana Send a message via Skype™ to purvis_diana
Is anyone on metformin while TTC? Or has anyone had any luck with it in the past? Just started taking mine again.
September 4th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am. I haven't been very good about taking it since I have to take it right with dinner or it makes my stomach upset and sometimes I just don't get up and take it or can't for whatever reason right after eating. I was really good about taking it this month though and I got a +OPK finally so if we don't get a BFP this month I'm going to try and be good about it from now on.
purvis_diana likes this.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
September 4th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to purvis_diana Send a message via Skype™ to purvis_diana
how long after taking this month did you get +OPK? I been bad about taking mine too. I am on 1,000mg 2x daily. what dosage u on also?
September 5th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I am taking it..2000mg per day. (1000 in AM and 1000 in PM). The s/e I have are mostly upset stomach and a bloated belly. I'm not sure if it is helping anything since I am taking other stuff as well. I just remind myself that it certainly can't hurt to take it!
September 5th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I get upset tummy, but if it help....
September 5th, 2012, 10:31 AM
My doctor prescribed me 1500mg but I usually only take 1000mg. 1500 just seems like too much for my tummy so I only do that if I eat a big meal and feel like risking it. I was taking it all cycle (well missed a few days) and didn't get my +OPK till CD19. The last three months I haven't gotten a +OPK at all though. I did up my Clomid from 100mg to 150mg this month so that could be it as well but I'm not going to stop the Met just in case.

On the days I can't take it right with dinner I don't bother and take Inositol and Cinnamon instead as those don't upset my tummy. Up until this month I was doing mostly that and only Met occasionally but I decided to be better about the Met this time even if it's an inconvenience.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
September 5th, 2012, 11:10 AM
my biggest problem is no cycle. last 2 cycles i spotted the whole time and it last for 2 weeks... so yea, figured i would try the metformin again.
September 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies...I took Metformin 1500mg (1000mg morning, 500 afternoon) when we were TTC our DD. If I remember correctly, it took a few months before it helped with ovulation and the s/e do get better the more consistent you are taking it. Also, because we aren't using it for glucose control per se, you might think about taking it right before bed (hours after dinner) to avoid the upset stomach (this has worked for me in the past).

The very first time I ovulated while on Met, we got pregnant, so it does happen!! Good luck ladies!!!
purvis_diana likes this.

September 5th, 2012, 05:23 PM
might need to try that
September 7th, 2012, 06:19 PM
~* Natasha *~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~* Natasha *~
Just my two cents...

I was on 1500 mg of Met consistantly for a year or so before getting my BFP, then I stayed on it until I was 13 weeks pg. I actually split it up and took it with my 3 meals a day to help with any adverse s/e.
September 7th, 2012, 10:11 PM
only got 1 se and its no fun
September 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hello Ladies,

I'm going to the OB today to talk to him about suspecting PCOS.. I know a few ladies in my personal life (not virtual lol) that have it and are taking METFORMIN and one is specific has told me carb loaded food doesn't go well with Metformin.. I'm hoping to get answers and also wanted to know what experience you ladies have with PCOS and having Thyroid Issues as well I read it's a common thing to have both.. Any input would be awesome also since this is my first time inquiring with my OB (he's new I used to just go to the Fam Dr for my annuals) so I would like to go in with my thinking cap on
September 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Beth2008's Avatar mommy in the making
Lurking in, wanted to add my two cents.

I am currently taking 1500 mg and I recommend taking it at bed time. My symptoms when i tried taking it three times a day were upset stomach, I couldn't even hardly eat at times. Now that I take it at bed time it has helped so much.

Thank you *Kiliki* for amazing siggy!

September 10th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2inlove04 View Post
Hello Ladies,

I'm going to the OB today to talk to him about suspecting PCOS.. I know a few ladies in my personal life (not virtual lol) that have it and are taking METFORMIN and one is specific has told me carb loaded food doesn't go well with Metformin.. I'm hoping to get answers and also wanted to know what experience you ladies have with PCOS and having Thyroid Issues as well I read it's a common thing to have both.. Any input would be awesome also since this is my first time inquiring with my OB (he's new I used to just go to the Fam Dr for my annuals) so I would like to go in with my thinking cap on
Carbs don't go well with PCOS in general. I've noticed that taking metformin after eating something really carby makes me feel sicker quicker than if I don't wat many carbs for dinner. My thyroid has always tested fine so I haven't done any research into that. Good luck at your doctor appointment!

TTC Blog
10-21-12
September 11th, 2012, 04:47 PM
what is chance of multipules on clomid?
September 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
wow, my pc is messed up...
September 11th, 2012, 06:09 PM
The chance of twins is only about 10% while on Clomid, up from about 3% naturally.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
September 12th, 2012, 07:44 AM
thanks bunches
September 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
No problem! Of course if twins run in your family you probably have a higher chance, and I would assume the Clomid chance can go up the higher dose you are on, but it's still not much I'm worried about. Actually I'd kind of like twins so I don't have to TTC again.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
September 12th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Kinda hoping for twins myself. and my family does have twins in it... lol
Frozenoj likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search