Introduction

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I don't really know what to say. I've had PCOS for 10 years, though only began TTC within the last 3 years. I saw a RE on the 6th and found out I have Hypothyroidism.

I guess I have some questions though. This month is the first month that I have actually been 'charting', though I only started temping about halfway through. Currently, I am sitting on CD35 with AF to come on Tuesday. Originally, FF said that I was going to get AF on Saturday the 22, then Yesterday, now Tuesday. I know with PCOS, AF can be extremely unpredictable, but FF shouldn't be predicting it at all, imo, lol.

Anyways. I've come to learn some things. First of all, I have many, many FCM days. I have been producing FCM since CD19.I've tried to ask others about why I produce so much, but I get the same answer:

Quote:
Some women produce a small amount of EWCM or FCM right before AF
That's all fine and dandy and all, but only if I were producing small amounts. I'd say right about the time I started the Metformin, I began producing the FCM. Anyone have ideas about why? I know, but I have been producing large glob-fuls every time I wipe or I will find it on my chonies.

Another thing I have learned is that with PCOS, I may be producing the LH surge without actually gearing up to OV. Even worse, I am partially colour blind, so I can't tell the difference in the OPKs if the line is as dark or almost as dark. So now, I have to rely solely on my BBT, which sucks because I can't tell if there is a sustained temp rise, or if I am mistemping. I usually temp at the same time, but on some days I temped at different times. Someone gave me a website that will take the information and help adjust the BBT. I used it this month to get a better picture of what my graph would look like had I temped at the same times. Next month, I won't change the original temps.

On to more questions:

1) Vitrex - I have been doing some reading and was considering getting it. Has anyone tried it? Recommend it?

2) Multivitamins - I know I should be taking multivitamins, but everywhere I read, I am told this pill for that and that pill for the other thing. I'm squeamish as it is taking pills and have to force myself to swallow the Metformin and Levothyroxine. I need one, maybe two good vitamins that will cover -almost- all areas that I should be taking care of.

3) Before we began TTC, I knew that I hardly ovulated (was measured in 2008 that I ovulated a whopping 1 time that year ). With the PCOS, I know I am getting cysts. Is there some way, natural, scientific, pill, whatever, that I can improve the health of my ova so that they may mature to promote better ovulation?

It's almost like we aren't TTC anymore, but rather, TTO. Has anyone been trying for as long or longer than we are and had good results?

As a final note, I have really bad Dythymia and every time I find out I haven't OV'd yet, it's like I get worse.

September 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Firstly, welcome! I'm sorry you have been trying so long and hope you get your BFP very soon.

I know during my natural cycles (anovulatory ones) I have several different batches of FCM throughout the cycle. I'm not sure why but from what I understand that is normal somewhat with PCOS ladies so I haven't worried about it.

Having your body produce LH but not actually ovulate is also something that could be PCOS related. It sucks because you can't really rely on CM or OPKs by themselves. Its hard enough as it is, I can't imagine trying if I was color blind! My suggestion would be just to try and BD as much as you can throughout your cycle, and at least every other day you have FCM. That way you are almost guaranteed to BD at least once while you're fertile. I don't think you can post links until you have 10+ posts on here, but once you do don't hesitate to post a link to your chart and I will look at it for you.

I don't have any experience with vitex. I think some of the other girls have tried it or are also considering it and I hope they chime in to let you know.

I take a gummy prenatal by Vitafusion. It doesn't have iron so if I get preg I'll probably have to find a supplement for that but otherwise I like it. It has DHA in it which is super important for PCOS ladies. It's also a gummy which makes it easier to take. Since DHA is so important for us I also take another supplement for that. The prenatal has some which is nice but we need 500mg+. It's called Max DHA by Jarrow Formulas. The pills are on the large side but not as large as some of the others I've tried. I haven't had any issue with fishy aftertaste though which is the main downside of most DHA supplements.

Not ovulating is something I'm very familiar with. As far as I know I've only ovulated twice in my whole life. I may have once or twice before I really knew what to look for but I doubt it. There are a couple things you can do to help. I take Clomid which is a script you get from your doctor. It's what got me to ovulate the two times I have. It comes with some not so pleasant side effects but it's cheaper than the other prescription alternatives.

Another option is Femara, which is like Clomid but doesn't come with the same side effects. If you have insurance that will cover it that might be a good starting place. One of my personal friends is on it and she has actually ovulated two more times than I have on the Clomid. She actually ovulated once on an off cycle where she wasn't taking it, after O'ing twice in a row on the Femara.

Another prescription alternative is injections. Those are even more expensive than the Femara and most doctors won't do that until you've tried Clomid or Femara first.

As far as non-prescription stuff, there is soy isoflavones. It is like the OTC Clomid. I have never tried it though and don't know much about it. Aubrey (one of the ladies on here) conceived her daughter while she was taking soy.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the Board! I'm sorry that your TTC journey has been so long, I do hope you get your BFP very soon!

How long have you been on the metformin? I was luckily able to conceive my DD after I was on 1500mg Metformin for several months. This time I also added Soy Isoflavones on CD 3 to 7 as well (which has been touted as a "natural" Clomid), but this is quite an unpredictable supplement for women with PCOS. Some say it really helps and others say it really messed up their cycle.

As for OPKs, I know they are way more expensive, but have you considered purchasing the digital ones (like ClearBlue or another one) which give you smiley faces when it detects the surge. This might help with the problem of being color blind. They ARE expensive though, so I always wait to see if I can combine with a coupon or sale!

I haven't tried Vitex, but have heard great things about this. My chiropractor actually recommended it to me and if we are not pregnant this cycle, I am considering trying this. Though I know people say not to take it with Soy Iso, I don't know if it would affect Clomid?

I agree with Tasha on taking a pre-natal vitamin to cover your multi-vitamin needs. A gummy vitamin sounds perfect especially if you don't like to take pills

Best of luck!!!

October 1st, 2012, 04:05 PM
OJ - I took your advice and I got some generic gummies to at least get me back on the habit of taken multi's again. Once I can find out the right one for me (prenatal or not) I will make the switch.

Polar - When I first started Metformin (2009) I was on 1,000mg/d. When I saw my RE, I thought he told me that I was going to 1,000mg/d but when DH and I wee reading the labels the other night we realized I am supposed to be on 2,000mg/d. I guess it was good because the 1,000mg/d messed with my stomach a lot. I still have to take it with food though. If I take it before I eat, or even after I eat (instead of during eating) I am in the bathroom all night

OJ was talking about the Soy Iso as well. I'm worried about mixing everything together and getting bad results (I tend to have allergies to too many mixed pills/vitamins -- Can't even take a GNC Women's HealthPak without getting sick)

I guess for right now, I am going to stick with the Metformin, Multi and other supplements until my FU Appointment in Jan with RE.
October 1st, 2012, 04:11 PM
I can post links now, so here is my FF for this cycle.

I kind of just... quit checking CO/P the last couple of days 'cause I know it doesn't matter right now. What I hate is that I am still giving off FCM

3f2f1e Ovulation charts on FertilityFriend.com
October 1st, 2012, 05:24 PM
Sorry about the allergy issues! I only have one drug allergy (naproxen) and that's enough to irritate me.

I don't bother tracking CP either as I haven't found it particularly useful.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 2nd, 2012, 08:29 AM
My biggest issue with checking CO/P is that mine is always soft, and always open. I asked my OB about it and she said that I am probably doing it wrong and left it at that.

I'm sorry, but I know the difference between it being closed and firm and soft and open, but nope! I'm too young and stupid to know my own body!

As a final tail puller, I was supposed to start AF today and nope, not even a spot. ***?

October 2nd, 2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah really it's not that hard to tell! I think I know the difference between my lips and my nose. Sorry AF is dragging her feet.

TTC Blog
10-21-12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search