PCOS and Glucaphage

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Hi everyone! I am new on this forum and would like some advice. I am TTC and I have PCOS. I am on 1500 mg of glucaphage and with a recent weight loss of 15 pounds and exercise I have started to have regualr periods. But.... I am still not pregnant. Am I not ovulating eventhough my periods are normal? Should I keep on trying this way or just go to clomid ? Has anyone here just got pregnant with glucaphage
September 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is possible you aren't ovulating still, or it's just taking a bit longer. How long have your periods been normal? You only have about a 20% chance of conceiving every month if everything is perfect, and it can take up to a year of having regular cycles before you conceive. Since you aren't sure if you are ovulating or not, you could also be BD'ing at the wrong times of the month to catch the egg (if you are).

I would suggest either using OPKs or temping to make sure you are ovulating. You can get OPKs pretty cheaply online, and you should use them more than once a day to make sure you catch your surge. If you decide to temp then you'd need a BBT thermometer and an account on fertilityfriend.com (free). They have information about how to do it on there or you can get the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility from your library. The gist is you take your temperature first thing after waking, before you do ANYTHING like move or talk, and if possible at the same time everyday. I set an alarm to wake up and then go back to sleep if I want after taking my temp. You enter the temperature you get on fertilityfriend (they have a phone app) and it will chart them for you. If you ovulate it will show up as a temp shift and you will get what's called crosshairs. It's a vertical line through the day you ovulated which intersects your coverline.

OPKs tell you when you're about to ovulate (so you can make sure to get some BD'ing in) but doesn't confirm you actually did. Temping confirms ovulation after the fact, so by the time you know it's too late to conceive. I actually do both so I know ahead of time and it's also confirmed.

It's hard to say what your plan should be re: Clomid until you know if you are ovulating, and if so how late in your cycle. Good luck and please keep us updated on what you decide to do!

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
September 30th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
All of my pregnancies have been from Glucaphage which is the generic form of Metformin, and weight loss. I did have one MC a month before I conceived DS, and am now expecting another little boy in 7wks.

I tried Clomid for 7mo at the beginning of TTC with medical assistance. It never worked for me. I was started out on a low dose and increased by 50mg each month until the OB wouldn't give it to me anymore because my allowed time was up. My last option was weight loss and Metformin. I did that combo for about 6mo before I got normal 4wk cycle, and lost 20lbs during that time. After my cycle normalized it took about 3 cycles to get PG with the one I lost. I then conceived DS the next cycle after MC. This time again I did the Metformin and weight loss. I lost 30lbs this time around and got pg in 6mo.

That's all to say the the combo you are on can work. It just takes time. I do suggest tracking your cycles with BBT and OPK's for a few months to see if you are ovulating. Clomid is not a guarantee that you will ovulate, and if you can ovulate on your own doing what you are already doing it's actually much healthier for you. Clomid has a lot of unpleasant side effects and you can only stay on it for a short period of time. Plus it will be more effective if you are already aware of how your body works, and can work with yourself and not against it.

I really hope you figure out whats going on and can get your BFP quickly.

October 1st, 2012, 10:42 AM
When I went to my RE, I asked him about Clomid to get some ideas (I had been off and on Metformin for years and had read different stories about Clomid). He told me that Clomid only works for certain people. For me, he said, the side effects might not be worth the risk.

I also highly recommend a combination of BBT and OPKs. My BBT is a little wonky since I have Hypothyroidism (which contributes to my being cold most the time) so my temps don't tend to get to high. OPKs are good, but they only detect the LH surge. With PCOS, we always kind of produce the LH, which can lead to a false positive - Our bodies are gearing up for it, but nothing happens. This is why it is important to take your BBT to keep an eye our for the temp spike that indicates OV (Estrogen makes us chilly and wet; Progesterone makes us dry and hot).

Good luck!
October 1st, 2012, 03:21 PM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD was conceived with just Metformin/Glucophage alone. It took several months before my periods sorted themselves out. I was also using OPKs and BBT to help pinpoint ovulation. So Metformin alone can help! Good luck!

October 3rd, 2012, 04:03 PM
Thank you all for your comments!! I m unsure how to chart my temperature, but it sounds like that is the best way to determine if I am ovulating. I'll check that website. I think I am still going to exercise and try to lose some more weight+ glucaphage.
Thank you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search