Pcos help!!

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM
Impatientlywaiting's Avatar Veteran
Hello! Brand new member here! We have been TTC for 2 years now
I just turned 24, Husbands SA was normal
After my OBGYN rand several tests, prescribed Clomid for 3 months and had no luck we did an IUI through our first RE. That IUI in May 2012 was unsuccessful. I wasn't super fond of that Dr to begin with so we switched to a new RE. He was wonderful and it was evident that he was really committed to finding the problem and not just rushing through our case and treating it routinely.

ANYWAY! He was the first Dr to do an ultrasound which showed I have one Polycysitic ovary. He prescribed 1500mg of Metformin and low carb diet. I'm by no means obese (about 5'6" 155lbs now) however the diet he prescribed was "No bread, NO sweets, no potatoes, NO startches of any kind. It has been 3 weeks so far and I've lost close to 10 lbs but everything I've read about PCOS said it isnt necessary to eat a NO CARB diet. The past 3 weeks I've had no more than 30 carbs a day with no startches or carbs of ANY kind. It's extemely difficult to find things to cook and what to eat since I feel so limited. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Also, I have VERY regular periods (28-30 at the most) cycles and no other signs/symptoms of PCOS besides the notbeing able to conceive.
I'm praying that not having any symptoms and only having PCOS on one ovary means that it will be easy to conceive now? I definitely need as much help as possible, though. Any suggestions on diet, or other tips to help conceive would be MUCH appreciated!!
October 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM
Firstly, sorry you haven't conceived. DH and I have been trying for 34 months (3 yrs in Dec).

PCOS is, tricky at best. You may have PCOS (the one poly-cyst ovary) due to poor ova maturation, which is something that the metformin may help clear up.

While a no/low-carb diet is not always prescribed/advised, it is recommended. One of the key factors for PCOS is the insulin resistance. Since carbs are complex sugars, our bodies will try and grab them and save them as an 'oh-****' button (making many women with PCOS not completely obese, but heavier then they remember). Eliminating and reducing carbs helps your body produce it's own insulin (with the help of Metformin)

Have you done any charts? Confirmed ovulation?
October 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM
Haven't done any charts but I have done OPK which always say I have ovulated. Dr thinks I am ovulating and having cycle but they may not be "good enough" cycles to conceive.
October 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
One of the other things to be careful of, and this is why charting is so beneficial ESPECIALLY for those of us with PCOS, is that PCOS, for some reason or another, increases the LH, so often, OPKs will come back positive. You shoudl take your temperature to help confirm OPKs. Once you have that temp increase, HEY! Ovulation!

October 1st, 2012, 03:59 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Firstly I'd like to say welcome! I'm Tasha one of the co-hosts here. I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

I can't do a no carb diet. I definitely eat more carbs than I should, but most of my favorite foods are carbs and if I restrict too much I end up binging eventually. It's also way more expensive than the way we normally eat so we can't fit it in our budget. So I don't have many tips in that regard. I have two low carb cookbooks that have been useful, so you might look into getting some of those. If you want to know which ones I have as a recommendation I'll be happy to tell you!

One of the biggest hurdles of PCOS is ovulation. If you have regular cycles AND you are ovulating then you are already ahead of most of us. When in your cycles are you getting the +OPK? I ask because it's possible you are Oing "late" which sometimes means a sub-par egg and you may have a luteal phase defect which will prevent implantation.

Do you test or do you just wait for your period? If you are just waiting it out then you could have a progesterone deficiency which would result in chemical pregnancies. PCOS women are known to have low progesterone.

Oh or you could be having a LH surge but not actually ovulating. I don't think this is super likely as your cycles are regular but it's something to consider. You can find out if you are actually ovulating by either charting for a month or two or getting your progesterone tested post-O or having an ultrasound done post-o.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 1st, 2012, 04:27 PM
Thank you all for responding!
Frozenoj,

It's been a while since I did the OPK just because after blood work was done a year or so ago I was told I was Oing regularly and I didnt see the need to buy more kits every month. I do rememer though it was always positive on my second to last or last test strip. I JUST found out about my PCOS 3 weeks ago. Like I said, previous blood work done in 2011 indicated I was ovulating.
Also ad I said before, my periods are VERY regular. Every 28-29 days and never missed a period. I dont even have particularly painful periods.

And no, I don't typically test. I just got tired of the monthly BFN and being upset earlier than just "waiting it out" for my period to start.
October 1st, 2012, 05:33 PM
Well you might should consider either doing OPKs or charting for a cycle or two so we can find out which day you are Oing on. LPs of 12 days or longer are best, but anything more than 10 is considered "normal". Less than 10 and it's considered a defect and it's likely your body will start shedding your lining before it gets the message from the egg to hold off, thus making you infertile.

It might be good to ask for some CD21 bloodwork as well to test your progesterone.

Good luck!

TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 1st, 2012, 05:49 PM
What's the best way to chart OPK or temperature? I believe I used to get about day 13 or 14 consistantly whem testing before
And I've had both the CD21 and Progesterone bloodwork done which were both normal
October 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
OPks tell you when you are about to O, but temps confirm you actually did. In your case I would say temping is better as you get an actual day, with the OPKs you can O anywhere from 12-48 hours after the +OPK.

Glad to hear your blood work was normal!

TTC Blog
10-21-12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search