Breastfeeding and PCOS

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 3Sapphires
  • 1 Post By MommaHarvey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First I want to say sorry for my lack of participation on the board lately. I've been slacking majorly!

Things haven't been that great on my end, not horrible or anything SERIOUS, just not good news lately. Friday was Summer's 2 month check up and we found she is not gaining weight properly. She was only 8lbs 13oz (she was 7lbs 9oz at birth). I had a very detailed conversation with the pediatrician and she basically confirmed my assumption of having a low milk supply. Summer eats very frequently. She nurses as often as ever 30 minutes to about every 2 hours. Her longest stretches are at night and are roughly 4 hours, sometimes 6. Because she nurses so much it's assumed I am not producing enough for eat nursing session. Anyhow, I'm writing all this for anyone who plans on breastfeeding in their future. She informed me that my lack of milk production is more then likely from having PCOS. Sure enough, I got home and looked everything up. It's very common for PCOS women to have breastfeeding problems. I guess it can be hit or miss. I had no idea about this before hand and it has hit me really hard. I've felt like a failure. It was hard enough getting pregnant, now I have to work at being able to nurse my child. It's like the PCOS really controls our lives at times.
I've been put back on 500mg Metformin ER once a day and am taking 3 fenugreek tablets 3 times a day and 3 blessed thistle tablets 3 times a day. As well as my prenatal. That's 20 pills a day! I feel like a druggy! I'm hoping my supply picks up and I can continue to breastfeed as it is something I really feel strong about and yearn to do. Like I said, I just want to give all you a heads up. I know not all PCOS women will have issues, but many do and I think I wouldn't be as upset if I would have had a heads up about this. I've also read that being on Metformin sooner probably could have been beneficial. Maybe spreading this word can give y'all the opportunity to research and learn about this issue with PCOS and breastfeeding for when you have your babies!

October 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow I had no idea! Thanks for the heads up because I feel pretty strongly about breastfeeding as well. It really sucks how much of an impact this makes on our lives. I really hope that the new meds will help and your supply picks up.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks Tasha... I really suggest doing some research if you want to that way once you get that BFP you know what to talk to your OB (or RE) about. I know many DRs get their patients off Metformin right away but some articles that involved the whole breastfeeding with PCOS issue suggest staying on it throughout pregnancy. I personally don't know much about staying on it the whole 9 months other then that one article I read.

Oh and the weird thing... I think in one study 1/3 of the PCOS women actually had an over supply. Of course I wasn't so lucky

October 1st, 2012, 09:02 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes I will definitely do that! I think my doctor said she normally keeps people on it for the first trimester but if staying on it the whole time is safe and helps then I'll ask about it.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 2nd, 2012, 05:45 AM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry that this has been a struggle! BFing is hard enough without all the additional worries about low supply! *hugs* I have many friends with PCOS who had to supplement because of low milk supply.

As for me, I was definitely lucky enough with DD to produce just enough, though I was not able to pump much at all. I also started to pump and build up a supply about a month before I returned to work...so perhaps the nursing combined with the pumping helped increase the supply somehow?

I was not taking Metformin while BFing, BUT did go on the mini-pill for birth control...which I've read can actually increase your milk supply. I believed it helped.

Best of luck to you!

October 2nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
Hmm I have the mini pill but I've been afraid to start it bc I'm not ready for a "period" lol

October 2nd, 2012, 07:45 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never had issues with my first, but I did have supply issues with my second, fenugreek helped a lot.

this time I started eating oatmeal a few times a day, in cookies and hot oatmeal and he is gaining well.

I hope your supply picks up for you, I am sure the fenugreek will help, adding some oatmeal wouldn't hurt either
aubers68 likes this.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

October 2nd, 2012, 07:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This may be kinda out there, but have you tried pumping a small amount to see how much fat versus water your producing. Sometimes that can be part of the issue. I had an oversupply of very fatty milk, and my sister had a normal supply of lean milk. When I would pump almost half of my milk was fat, where as my sister's fat would barely skim the top of the bottle. I have PCOS and she doesn't. That's not to say that PCOS is not the cause of your issues, but if it is a fat problem then changing your eating habits may help and you may not need so many pills. I really hope that what ever it is that you are able to overcome it and BF with success. I'm really hoping I can BF this baby longer than my first.
aubers68 likes this.

October 3rd, 2012, 06:01 PM
Yikes! I hope it gets better for you :-)
October 5th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had no idea PCOS could affect breastfeeding, but thank you for the heads up. I hope things work out on your end.
October 5th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Ritzbitz's Avatar In love with my daughter
Aubrey,

as you know i have PCOS and im almost at my year breastfeeding milestone...

besides taking fenugreek and the blessed thistle, make sure you are drinking A LOT of water everyday! make sure you are eating enough! a little secret for low milk supply - Amazon.com: Motherlove More Milk Plus 2OZ: Health & Personal Care

i have it and if my supply drops at some point due to stress or what have you, this has been my lifesaver. also, Mother milk tea works wonders! several cups a day and you'll notice a HUGE difference in your supply!!!!!

also, PUMP PUMP PUMP... pump after each feeding session for about 20 min a side.. it seems excessive but it helps a ton, it tells your body to produce more milk..

and last but not least, try not to stress... stress decreases milk supply!

i hope that helps, and you can message me here or on facebook anytime with concerns or what not... <3

hugs! hang in there, i promise the less you stress about it, the easier and quicker it'll happen...

thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

October 5th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks Rita! I tried Fenugreek, it helped for a bit then all a sudden it was like it stopped working. I added blessed thistle and Metformin but one of the two seemed to be upsetting Summer's stomach(I think the Met because I'm still taking that and still have a few issues with her)... I'm actually going to be taking a medication called Domperidone... heard very very good things about it so I'm hoping it helps. I did take the tea, but it was so hard for me to get in 3 cups a day and 1 didn't seem to help. I just started watching my water, because I won't even lie, I'm horrible about it. It seems just that has been helping a bit. I know it sounds like i gave up bc I stopped the herbs but it was just so much for me... I did keep taking the Metformin and I'm contemplating stopping that as well (bc of Summer's gassy achey stomach) although I do think it's helping my milk. I just jumped into everything so quickly because I wanted to do all I could to get this to work... I have to take a few steps back and see what is and what isn't working... BUT then again once the prescription meds come I won't need the rest (hopefully)

If the Domperidone doesn't work I will probably try out the herbs again, once the Met is out of my system, to see if they had any effect on her stomach or if it was just the Met

I apologize this is a little all over the place... it's late and I'm super tired LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search