Ttc #2

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2012, 01:26 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi!
I'm Lana. I'm getting ready to TTC #2. DD is 3.5. I TTC her for 17 months, 12 of those months were with MA. Finally got one good follicle on Clomid 200mg (8th round of Clomid).
Aside from a couple weeks on the mini pill after my daughter was born, I haven't taken any BCP since TTC DD.
My cycle returned 9 months PP and everything was fine until a few months ago. Weight gain. Acne (was recently put on a med, but stopped). AF was still regular, but lighter. The past few cycles have been a little longer and AF is shorter/lighter. I was getting O pains, but haven't had that for several cycles. No +OPK last cycle.
I am seeing a new OB/Gyn this week (my old one isn't doing OB anymore). I've known this doctor for 10 years so hopefully it won't be like starting with a new doctor who assumes the patient is clueless or wait and see. I ended up with a RE last time, but I no longer have fertility coverage with my insurance.
What should I expect the doctor to order for labs (if any) or start off with for meds? How do they determine of Metformin is a good option? I wasn't actually "told" I had PCOS until my 6 week ultrasound when the RE looked at my ovaries and said I had PCOS--no one had actually said that before. In hindsight, there was no doubt. So I have not discussed PCOS with any of my docs.
I want to be prepared and make my visit productive and hopefully have a plan. I looked through the history forms I filled out for the RE last time, and based off of those, my cycles are the same as back then.
Thanks!
October 14th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well my doctor knew I had PCOS going in to TTC as I had all my labs done years ago. As soon as I confirmed I wasn't ovulating by using OPKs and charting BBT she put me on Clomid. I've also been on metformin for a few years unrelated to TTC.

If you haven't had any labs done previously they are probably going to want to do CD3 blood work. Be prepared to give several vials of blood. Along with testing the normal fertility stuff (AMH, FSH, etc) they'll be testing things specific to PCOS like androgen levels. I can't remember what all they tested, but the list was pretty long. It cost me over $500 out of pocket. Even if you don't have fertility coverage it should cover the labs since PCOS is NOT an infertility condition. Infertility is just one of the side effects among many that can affect your life in different ways.

Metformin is used to treat Insulin Resistance. While most women with PCOS have IR not all do. Some symptoms of IR are excessive weight around the middle, difficultly losing weight, brain fog, and high blood pressure. If you're a thin cyster you may not have IR and can probably skip the Metformin.

Many women with PCOS choose not to take metformin as it can be very harsh on your stomach. I know I have to take it right with my biggest meal of the day or I will regret it. I would suggest trying out the met but after a few weeks if you can't get used to it there are other things you can take to control IR (although they aren't as effective IMO).

Your OB should also do an ultrasound. This will show if you have any cysts or not which could potentially cause you problems.

If you're charting I would suggest bringing your charts to the appointment.

I hope this helps and you are able to conceive #2 much quicker than your first!

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 14th, 2012, 03:49 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! I forgot about the CD 3 stuff. I know when I started with my RE, I went in for a baseline ultrasound and had to take that cycle off because they found a 5.5cm cyst, so was on meds to shrink that.
I'm going to get my medical records from my other doc. Although they aren't necessarily current, they will show what the RE had to say as well as document what I tried last time.
October 15th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah definitely do that! Especially if your RE made an official PCOS diagnosis instead of just telling you that's what it was. The medical records should speed things up with the new doc I would think.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search