TTC...confused!! Please help!

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hello Ladies. I have been reading so many different things online and forums, i am just so confused. I hope someone could give me some advice. I know no one is a doctor here but just some insight would be great!

This is my first post so just a quick summary: I was on BC pills for 7 years. Me and my husband decided to TTC in May 2012 so I stopped the BC. I had an appt with my gyn in Aug was a normal check up/pap and i mentioned that we were TTC. So she noticed I was very overweight (5'2, 215lbs) and she said first thing i had to lose weight but she will run some test. Fortunatly the pap was normal. Then my results came in for the other tests. My thyroid and prolactin levels were normal but my DHEA-sulfate and testosterone were extremely high. DHEAS level was 671 and testosterone was 83. Then she wanted me to take the oral glucose test and that came back normal/negitive for insulin resistant. So she put me on 500mg metormin only and up it every week so now i am currently taking 1500mg daily and still no AF (5 months so far).

I have been reading that other women with PCOS takes clomid and other things to start AF and ovulation again. But my gyn said give it 6 months then maybe start clomid. I only been on metformin for 1 month now but I just want it to happen already..i am very impatient and it upsets me so much when people around me are having children! I just wish it could be so easy! I have lost 12 lbs so far so thats a start i wish there was something else I could do..

I really don't have any other symptoms of PCOS besides not having a period and not ovulating. I was never checked for cysts, and i had a normal AF when I was younger before the BC (but i was like 130lbs). Can anyone else relate or had a simialr experience? What should I ask my gyn? How long should I wait?

Sorry its so long but i need some answers!!
October 22nd, 2012, 04:11 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
High testosterone is definitely indicative of PCOS, along with being anovulatory and having irregular cycles. You say you haven't had a period for 5 months? I would definitely ask if you can get something to induce AF. I know my doctor normally prescribes Provera but I think there are some other similar things you can take. It wouldn't necessarily be for increased fertility (although it may work that way) but general health. My doctor doesn't like to see me go more than two months without as she says after that the lining can go bad and you can have an increased risk of uterine cancer. No one wants that and there's no harm in inducing. It's not even expensive.

If you are losing weight that may be enough to get you to start ovulating on your own. I have been on Clomid since February and let me tell you it is not a picnic. There are some very unpleasant side effects. If you can O without it that would be preferable, even if it takes a bit longer. Otherwise you could be dealing with nausea, hot flashes, mood swings, and all sorts of nasty stuff. It also has a tendency to dry out your CM so you could have to buy expensive sperm friendly lube or take a supplement and hope that helps.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search