Just diagnosed with PCOS...question?

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Hi All, I'm new here and just had a question. I had an ultrasound that showed enlarged ovaries and bilateral cysts about 1 1/2 months ago. I had my progesterone checked at the same time and my level was 0.2. After my last cycle I had another US that showed the cysts were gone but I had several small follicles on each ovary, and thus was diagnosed with PCOS. My OBGYN is convinced I'm not ever ovulating, but I'm wondering if he could be wrong.

My period is a little off, however I do get it every single month. I think it's like a 28-36 day cycle, it just depends. It will last for 5-7, heavy for the first few days and then normal. Every month I have a lot of EWCM for a few days, increased sex drive, sore breasts, etc. I haven't been tracking anything because I just want to relax and whatever happens happen. But I don't understand why he is so convinced I'm not ovulating, when I have all the signs of ovulation once a month and get my period every month as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS: 7 years ago when I got pregnant with my daughter I had no problem conceiving. We had sex once, and bam we we're pregnant.
December 15th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Veteran
What CD did your doc test your progesterone? If you test it too early it would be low, but I get mine done CD 21 to see if I ovulated and my levels indicate I am(with med help) an I get a positive OPK between CD 14/16.

I would suggest asking if your doc can do a progesterone blood test CD 21 or couple days after.

Do you use ovulation tests?(OPK) that can say if you get ur LH surge and supposed to ovulate. When I get my surge I ovulate 1-2 days after the positive OPK.

You can however get a period still and not ovulate. But for me I only get my period IF I ovulate...
December 15th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are only a few ways to really know if you ovulate or not. You can chart your basal body temperature, get an ultrasound, or get progesterone tested after CD21. Otherwise you can only guess. It sounds like you do by your body signs but you can't trust those 100%. What CD was your u/s on when you saw the follicles? You shouldn't really have any after you ovulate. If you don't ovulate the follicles can turn into cysts which may be why he thinks you aren't ovulating. Also low progesterone is indicative of that if you get it tested late in your cycle. Oh and just because you used to O doesn't mean you will now, especially if you've gained any weight in the last 7 years.

The easiest thing to do is chart your temps. You can get a BBT thermometer from Walmart or basically any drug store for pretty cheap. You just take your temperature when you wake up in the morning before doing anything else. It's better to take it at the same time, so I have an alarm set. If I don't actually have to be anywhere I just take it and go back to sleep. You then enter the temp on a charting site like fertility friend (link in my sig) and if you ovulate it will tell you. You can do this for just a cycle to see if you are, and if you are then stop if you want to remain relaxed. Another good thing about this is it will tell you how long your LP is (the time between O and your next period). If your LP is too short then that will keep you from becoming pregnant.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
December 15th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Thank you for your replies. My husband and I agreed we don't want to become obsessed with trying to conceive. We have a lot of stress and don't want to add to it by starting to count days, check temperatures, take OPKs etc. I guess we are just hoping it will happen. :/ However, we did just start TTC so our minds may change quickly if nothing happens. My doctor also told me it's not worth doing the OPK's because I would literally have to take one every single day since we don't know when I O yet.

I don't really know how to count my cycle, because I never have, so maybe some dates will help?

October 19th - 1st day of period
November 1st - Progesterone 0.2 / US showing bilateral cysts and enlarged ovaries
November 17th - 1st day of period (lasted longer than usual, about 8 days)
December 4th - US showing follicles on both ovaries, but large cysts were gone and ovaries were no longer enlarged

Thanks so much for your help!

Also, my husband and I DTD on December 8th. For the past 2 days I've been very nauseous, my breasts are so sore and swollen they feel like they are going to explode, my nipples are burning, I've been having pelvic cramping on both sides (although more the left and it's gotten a lot better today), headaches, heartburn, bloating, fatigue and increased temperature (normally I'm at 97-97.5 and the past 2 days it's been at 98.6-98.8, just my normal temperature not BBT). If I did happen to ovulate, and magically the timing was perfect, would this be too earlier for any symptoms? My period was supposed to come today as well and it didn't. Oh also, normally I don't get any of these symptoms before my period comes. Sometimes my breasts are a little sore, but nothing like this!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Zoesmama06; December 15th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
December 16th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Yeah I understand you don't want to get completely obsessed with it, that's why I suggested just trying it for a cycle. If you do see you O then great, keep doing what you're doing. But if you don't then there's really no point in trying without taking steps to fix that. It would just be wasted time, KWIM? Being TTC for the first few cycles isn't bad, but it would suck to try for 6+ months just to find out you never had a chance and had to basically start over.

OPKs you do have to take everyday, in fact it's better to take them twice a day once mid morning and again at night. You can get them for about 25 cents each online so I don't mind so much but I know it's not for everyone. In my case we don't have the option of being relaxed, unfortunately.

Your first ultrasound showing the cysts would have been CD14 I think. It's definitely possible you didn't ovulate yet if you have up to 36 day cycles. So I don't think that would mean you don't ovulate, just not before CD14. Cysts can keep you from ovulating though.

The second one would have been on CD18, so if you were going to O that month there probably should have been a pretty big dominant follicle already rather than a bunch of small ones. It's possible you could ovulate up to around CD26 during a 36 day cycle though. So it still doesn't mean that you didn't O this cycle, it would just have to be one of your longer ones.

If you did O and conceived on the 8th or the five days after, you almost certainly wouldn't be having pregnancy symptoms yet. Implantation doesn't even happen until 6-12 days past ovulation and it usually takes a day or two for symptoms to kick in after implantation. For you to have gotten pregnant from that DTD you would only be 6DPO at most when you started having symptoms. Implantation at 4dpo is pretty rare.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
December 16th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Thank you SOSOSO much for your detailed response! This is all so confusing for me so that definitely helped. Trying for a cycle does make sense now that I think about it, because you're right, if I'm for sure not O'ing there will be many months of frustration and heartache which would probably be worse in the long run. :/ Better to figure it out for sure, and take the correct steps to try and get me O'ing again if I'm not, and then start trying for #2.

My breasts are still so sore today and I have no idea why. They haven't felt this way since I was pregnant with my last baby. Maybe my hormones are just acting up for some reason. We will just have to wait to see (which is definitely the hardest part!)

Thank you so much again!
December 16th, 2012, 10:47 PM
No problem! We've been TTC for about 14 months so I've picked up a lot of info on the way lol. Was the time on the 8th the only time you DTD recently? If you did it a few days or a week earlier than that as well it's definitely possible you're pregnant. If you are having symptoms chances are it would show up on a test.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
December 16th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I've just started looking on forums and stuff and there is a lot of new lingo, that's for sure!

I hope you get your BFP soon! I always thought when I wanted to have a baby, poof, I'd be able to. But not knowing if that can happen, as you know, stinks!

That's the first time we DTD unprotected recently. We literally just started trying. I broke down and took a digital today but the screen came back blank...no error sign, or anything...just blank! It showed it was working with the hour glass, and then nothing. I'm sure it's too early to test, but I let my lack of patience get the best of me.

Based on my last two cycles, I should have seen AF yesterday, but still nothing. It does get sporadic though so it could be anytime between yesterday and a week from today. So frustrating not knowing.
December 18th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Well I hope you find out either way soon.

If you aren't pregnant you might should consider getting some of the cheap internet tests. That way you can test when the fancy strikes without wasting a bunch of money. I use those and then only use an expensive test if I see a line on more than one of those.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
December 18th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks, that's a good idea.

Looks like AF came today. Last night I had some bright pink discharge followed by dark brown when I wiped. But this morning when I woke up it seemed a bit heavier and like a brownish/red rusty color. Was having light cramping, headache, backache, fatigue, very sore (.)(.) which is unusual for me. Heartburn and insomnia too for the past couple days. At first I thought it was implantation bleeding (which would make sense since hubby and I DTD 10 days ago) but I'm guessing since it's getting heavier that's not the case. Was really hoping to surprise everyone with a BFP for Christmas.

Thanks for all of your advice ladies! And Merry Christmas!
December 18th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Aww I'm sorry.

TTC Blog
10-21-12

Tags
ovulation , pcos , ttc

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search