Newbie at TTC

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Hi everyone! My husband and I recently decided TTC. We are in our early 30's. I am supposed to be taking metformin for my pcos. But it makes me nervous taking medication and what if I do end up pregnant? This is my first time on a forum. And I wanted to learn from other women with my same issue. I have seen an obgyn in the past and have been told I will possibly need clomid.

I plan on seeing my obgyn soon to really dive into TTC.

Also I have a couple questions. I think I understand most of the abbreviations, but is there a topic on this in this forum?

And I read a post to get the ovulation and pregnancy tests online for cheap. Where is the best place?
January 5th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A lot of doctors will put women on metformin when TTC so that shouldn't be an issue. Some people even stay on it during their pregnancy.

I thought there was a topic that listed all the abbreviations, but now I can't find it. If there is something specific you want to know, just ask and if I know I will tell you.

I like to get mine from amazon. These are the ones I get, I think last time I calculated it they came out to about 25 cents each. Amazon.com: 50 Ovulation Prediction Strips & 20 Pregnancy Test Strips: Health & Personal Care

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
January 7th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Regular
I am also taking metformin. My doctor explained to me that it will help regulate your FSH and LH hormones by increasing your sensitivity to the insulin your body makes. Make sure you take it after you eat because it lowers your blood sugar. I have been on it now since October. I hate taking it because I hate taking medicine and don't like how I feel on it, but I want to conceive so I am doing it! I know how you feel about wanting to take it, but in the long run it will benefit you and help you in TTC. Good luck!
January 8th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll post here since I see we have 2 newbies on this thread. I'm Sarah. Not posting here much right now as I just had my 2nd PCOS baby in Nov. But I like to read and keep up with you guys, and respond when I think I can be helpful. It took DH and I 3 years for our first. We tried Mtformin and Clomid for 7 cycles unsuccessfully, then I stopped Clomid and focused on weight loss and getting myself healthy, along with Metformin. After loosing 30lbs we got pg, and miscarried at 7wks. After that we were pg the next cycle with Metformin only. That was my 1st DS in 2010. We only had to TTC for 6mo for DS2 with Metformin and weight loss again. I needed to loose another 25lbs to start O'ing again. That is DS2 who was born this past Nov. So just keep going. I know it's hard and not fun, but there are others who have been where you are with success. It does get better.

January 9th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Thank you all for ur input!!

I'm rather irritated with myself for not making myself more aware about my PCOS. I always figured if I take the metformin, it will make it better. Ugh! And I'm a nurse!!! Well I made a decision and I started a no carb to a low carb lifestyle. Started my metformin. Yay to side effects!
I also started exercising regularly again!
My appt with my ob is feb 1st. I hope to be down in my weight by 5-10 lbs. are there any certain questions I should ask him? I'm not sure what to expect from my first appt.
January 9th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Regular
Sarah..thanks for the encouragement. Congrats on #2! It is comforting to know others have been successful.

Mrspeavler....The metformin might work for you. What i have learned in the short time is that PCOS affects everyone differently..what works for one might not work for another. I know someone who also had PCOS and didnt take anything and got pregnant. You may want to ask him his plan action. How long will you take the metformin before trying something else. What are all your options? I asked my doctor if he thought i needed to see a fertility doc to guide me through. Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search