Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Regular
My husband and I decided that were were ready to try and conceive at the end of this summer. I have been on birth control for 11 years, since I stopped getting my period when I was 15 years old. I decided to go off BC in August. It is now October and I still didn't get my period and I wasn't pregnant after taking about 5 pregnancy tests in the two months since stopping the BC. I decided to go to the doctor to see what I should do. They of course took a pregnancy test, which came back negative and ran blood work. Turns out I have PCOS. My doc put me on metformin to try and help regulate my hormones (and hoped I would ovulate on my own) and gave me provera to bring on my period. After 45 days(now December) I still didn't get my period and went back to the doctor. Again, I wasn't pregnant. The doctor again gave me provera and put me on clomid. He also sent my hubby for a semen analysis, which indicated he has a minor issue as well, possibly vericose veins. We went to a urologist today who confirmed my doctors thoughts of him having vericose veins in his testicles. I am on day 9 of my cycle and hoping for the best the next few weeks as we try. I go back to the doctor on Friday for a vaginal sonogram. I am just trying to stay positive. I know we are a head of the game because we haven't been trying very long and already are working towards trying to conceive with the aid of infertility drugs.
January 7th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm Tasha, the co-host here. Unfortunately our board isn't super active anymore but I'm happy to see you! Some background: diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 at 18, but had it since puberty. Married in 2009 and except for a few months when I was on BC for cysts we were not trying, not preventing. Started actively TTC in October 2011 and my first Clomid cycle was February 2012 so we moved on to medical assistance fairly quickly as well. I've been on Metformin on and off since my diagnosis and never ovulated. Still didn't ovulate half the time on Clomid either. DH is supposed to go in for his SA this week. Now I'm moving on to Femara.

I really hope the Clomid does wonders for you! Are you starting with 50mg? That's the standard starting dose I think. Did you take it CD3-7 or 5-9? Is your cycle going to be monitored by ultrasound to see when/if you ovulate or are you using OPKs/charting? If you aren't being monitored until ovulation is confirmed I'd really suggest charting if you don't already. That way you know for sure whether you ovulated or not, and if you don't ovulate on this dose your doctor can increase it.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
January 7th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Regular
Sorry to hear the clomid didn't work for you. I think I had PCOS in my teens, but wasn't diagnosed properly. I hate being on the Metformin. The beginning was torture for me as I had the side effects of diarrhea. Thank goodness that stopped. I did start with 50mg. I asked my doc about charting my temp and he said it really wouldn't be helpful. What are OPK's?

I took it CD 3-7. I don't know if he is gonna monitor my cycle by ultrasound. I will ask him this Friday when I see him. I am assuming yes bc the last time I saw him he said he wanted to do another sono to see if one of the follicles changed, which I guess would give him an idea if I ovulated.

Good luck to your hubby with the SA! Hope you get good news.

oh I'm Natalie btw
January 8th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Weird he said it wouldn't be helpful! I wonder why. I guess if you are being monitored it's not needed. OPKs are ovulation predictor kits. They are kind of like home pregnancy tests but for ovulation. You use them at least once a day from about cycle day 10 or so until you see a positive one. It detects LH which increases greatly before you ovulate. So when it goes positive it's because it's detected an increase in that. You will usually O 12-48 hours after a positive OPK. Sometimes your body tries to ovulate so the LH increases but isn't able to, which is why I like to couple OPKs with temping.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
January 9th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Regular
He basically said that's an old wives tale...lol I laughed. I am using an OPK. I am using clear blue fertility monitor. It detects levels of LH and estrogen. It tells me when ,my fertility is low, high and peak. I really like it. It is expensive, but after I was diagnosed with the PCOS I thought it would be very useful.

question. Yesterday, I had a sharp, awkward pain. Something I never experienced before in the are of my ovaries. It came and went very quickly. I was just sitting down relaxing. I made no sudden movements. After taking the clomid, did you ever get a pain like this?
January 10th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Yeah it's probably just from your follicles growing. You might not have noticed it before if normally your follicles stay really small, or even if they don't you might have more now than normal. I don't know what your CBFM is saying but it could also be ovulation. Ovulation feels different for everyone, but for me usually it's very noticeably painful and lasts at least half a minute, then it will feel tender in that area for a little while. But I also get little twinges while the follicles are growing.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
January 10th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Regular
Thanks. I think it may be the follicles. On my last sono the left ovary had many follicles on it and that's where the pain was. I am not at peak fertility yet. I am just hoping, even if I do not get pregnant this cycle I at least ovulate on my own, which I am sure is hoping for too much.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search