Just diagnosed with PCOS

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I got the phone call today that I do indeed have PCOS. What should I expect as far as TTC? Started metformin and start round one of clomid in a few days
January 30th, 2013, 02:53 PM
zonee@gmail.com's Avatar Veteran
It varies greatly. Are you seeing an obgyn or a re? I am on my second round of clomid through obgyn but was not given metformin. I feel that if this round does not result in either me getting af or pregnant that i will be moving onto the re so that i know what is actually happening. Beware of false positive opks -if you test too soon clomid can interfere and even if you get a positive doesnt mean you actually ovulated. It has only been 2 active months of trying with clomid but we were not preventing it for about a year now. Good luck!! Hopefully you can have a bfp soon.
January 31st, 2013, 03:07 PM
Regular
I was dianosed in October. I am on metformin and starting my second round of clomid. I hate the metformin. I suggest taking it after you eat. I don't feel the side effects as much. Since it lowers your blood sugar, you don't wanna take it while you have nothing in your system. Wishing you the best of luck as you start this journey.
February 3rd, 2013, 02:31 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, personally I went in to it expecting things to take a while. I think this helped me because I didn't really start to get frustrated with how long it was taking till like 9 months in. I was frustrated I wasn't ovulating before that, but I didn't feel really down about not being pregnant till later than most. If you are successful within a few months it will just be a super happy surprise.

Clomid can come with some bad side effects. For me 50mg (which you're probably starting with) wasn't bad but it got worse quick. I was dealing with migraines, hot flashes, mood swings, and nausea mostly. Sometimes the side effects were so bad it kept us from BD'ing as much as I'd like. It can also dry out your CM so keep an eye on that. It's nearly impossible for sperm to make it to the egg without the help of CM. So in some ways it became counterproductive.

Clomid is the go-to drug for anovulation but there is another one called Femara. Technically it's for breast cancer but helps with this as well. If you find Clomid isn't working well for you or you get the side effects, definitely ask your doctor about switching. It's much more expensive than Clomid so usually it's seen as cost prohibitive but I found a coupon on goodrx.com that makes it really affordable. I just started on it this cycle and things are so much better than they were on Clomid. I was able to get this cycle's dose for about $5.

If your doctor isn't giving you ultrasounds throughout your cycle I would definitely suggest basal body temperature charting. This will confirm whether or not you ovulated which as a PP mentioned above OPKs alone will not do. It's important to know if/when you ovulate as that will tell you when to expect AF/test and also if your dose needs to be increased.

OPKs are also good for letting you know when you're about to ovulate so you know to get some BD'ing in. IMO don't bother buying them at the store as you'll just waste money. The answer brand don't seem to be very good and are the most confusing to me. I get these which only cost about $.25 each. Amazon.com: 50 Ovulation Prediction Strips & 20 Pregnancy Test Strips: Health & Personal Care

Most of all, I wish you the best of luck on your journey and lost of baby dust.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
February 3rd, 2013, 07:58 AM
Thank y'all for the info. I too have gone into this believing it is going to take a while. I take my last dose of 50 mg of Clomid tomorrow and am on 1000 mg of metformin a day. Have to go for a blood draw on cd 21 to see if I ovulated. Guess only time will tell

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search