Frustrated

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Veteran
Last year I got pregnant with a baby girl. Everything was going fine until week 21 when I went in to get my routine gender/anatomy scan ultrasound. They saw that my cervix started funneling and I was 1cm dilated. My body was starting to prepare for birth. They put in a circlage and ordered me on modified bed rest. Long story short, at 23 weeks, I went into preterm labor and they couldn't (actually didn't attempt) to stop it. At that point, I had already dilated 4 cm (with the circlage still in!). My white blood cell count was a little elevated and my membranes had already ruptured, so that is why they chose not to stop the labor. Later that morning (Jun 1, 2012) I gave birth to a little girl who lived for only an hour because she was just too premature.
The doctor told my husband and myself that we could try to conceive again within 3 months. My periods never seemed to regulate. They would come every 45+ days. I always had issues and suspected PCOS but none of my docs ever took me seriously. I made an appointment in October, they ran test, did ultrasounds etc. Comes back that I do not have cysts on my ovaries, my uterus/tubes look fine but I do have PCOS (based on my high testosterone levels from the lab results). I was then referred back to OB/GYN and was actually excited because I was finally going to get the answers/meds that I needed. So I thought. What a big disappointment. I am not insulin dependent so no Metformin and he did not offer Clomid. He simply told me to come back in NINE months if we are unable to conceive. I also told him that prior to my first and only pregnancy, it had taken us 3 years to get pregnant (we weren't actively trying however we were not using protection). Given my menstrual history and diagnosis of PCOS, why would he not at least try something? I purchased a fertility monitor and have yet to reach peak fertility. I know it takes a few months for the monitor to learn your body, but after 4 months and nothing? Has anyone else been non-insulin resistant? If so, did your doctor put you on any meds? Thanks.
February 16th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know why they wouldn't want to try something. If your cycles are regularly 45+ days you are obviously ovulating later than is optimal (if at all). You can still get pregnant if you ovulate late, but my doctor said that sometimes by then your uterine lining isn't as capable of sustaining a pregnancy anymore.

You can try seeing a different doctor if you don't want to wait the nine months and see if they will prescribe you something. Nine months seems like a long time to wait after all you've been through. Or you can try some of the natural things like soy isoflavones or fertilitea.

I hope whatever you decide you get your rainbow baby soon.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
February 16th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran
Thank you so much. I appreciate your response and tips.
February 22nd, 2013, 07:20 AM
zonee@gmail.com's Avatar Veteran
I am sooo sorry for your loss and i understand your struggle. I was diagnosed last year just through the blood work and 2 failed (imo) clomid cycles. Obgyn has said she sees no need to do an ultrasound to check cysts or lining (no period after clomid just spotting but ob thinks thatis my "new" normal tho it is not expected) but she did order an hsg and i told her i am moving on to a reproductive endocrinologist. I would suggest the same, if you need a referral (i do not) i would switch to a new ob and see what they want to do. Clomid is not bad but my ob was not monitoring at all and i am not sure it worked. Good luck and i hope you never experience this again.
February 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM
Regular
Sorry for your loss. I would find a doctor you are comfortable with and that has a plan for you. That is what I loved about my doc when I was diagnosed in October. He had a plan in mind that I was happy with.
February 23rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
Veteran
Thanks so much ladies. Since we are moving next month, I am looking forward to a new beginning.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search