Clomid?

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 10:17 AM
ameliabedelia's Avatar Member
So, I'll preface this post by saying that I am VERY NEW to my diagnosis with PCOS, as well as the TTC journey, so I'm still researching and learning best as I can. That said, I had a question and consideration about clomid.

When I was originally diagnosed with PCOS earlier this year, my doctor prescribed metformin and I've been taking it ever since, I've also been charting. She had mentioned previously that when we decided we wanted to, she could prescribe clomid as well. Anyway, I've done a little research on it and wouldn't you take clomid if you aren't ovulating or if it's irregular? From what I can tell from my charts, I've pretty much leveled out at this point, so while I'd love to consider clomid if it could improve our chances in any way I'm not sure if it would actually help at all just based on what I've read. I'm going to give it another shot on the met before I contact my doc to get more info, but I just wondered before I even go in if that's something that we should be considering.

March 6th, 2013, 04:10 PM
zonee@gmail.com's Avatar Veteran
Are you taking ovulation tests as well? I would say keep trying if you think you are ovulating or see if your doctor will do a 21 day progesterone test to see if you are actually ovulating on your own. Sometimes women with pcos and met can ovulate on their own but others get a period without actually ovulating.
I agree, if you are ovulating it may not actually help unless it is really late in your cycle

Good luck!!
March 7th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Clomid can potentially move your ovulation up if you ovulate late. It can also cause you to have more than one mature follicle, so there are more targets for the sperm to hit and a better chance of them catching one. Of course that also means it increases your chance of twins by like 5-7% or something. Another thing it does is increase your progesterone in the LP, which a lot of women with PCOS have a problem with. Your LP appears to be at least 12 days though based on your signature so it doesn't seem like that's a huge problem for you.

Since your cycles don't seem to be super long (like 50+ days) I'd probably give it a while before trying other things. I'd say at least 6 cycles where you've confirmed ovulation via temps and had decent BD timing. Then you can start talking about next steps. Clomid and other fertility drugs are wonderful things for those who need them but also come with negatives you probably don't want to deal with if you don't need to.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
March 12th, 2013, 01:04 PM
ameliabedelia's Avatar Member
I've been taking opks and temping and it looks like ovulation's going well! I do have a bit of a longer cycle but I don't feel like it's *too* long, and like you said as great as Clomid is I'd totally rather avoid the extra medication as long as I can. We are still so early on so I don't mind waiting (though I'm not a patient person), I just thought it was interesting that my doctor offered that right off the bat and now that I have more info wondered if it was something I should still consider. Thanks ladies!

March 13th, 2013, 03:28 PM
zonee@gmail.com's Avatar Veteran
Good luck and glad 1. your ovulating 2. your cycles are not too long. It sounds like you are on the right track!!
March 20th, 2013, 01:57 AM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did the doc tell you what symptoms/indicators of PCOS you dx was based on? This can help you determine the best treatment. If you are taking Metformin and/or have taken hormonal birth control in the past, start supplementing with Methyl B-12. This is so important, and doctors never tell you. These drugs will leech your supply right out of your body, and this vitamin is vital to fertility. As for taking further steps, don't rush into harsh drugs like Clomid! You may just need to tweak something or discover a food intolerence--look into lactose and gluten in particular (these can be asymptomatic and cause PCOS symptoms).

THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search