Can you have many cysts but not pcos?

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am 33. Never had fertility issues! I have 4 children. My DH and I decided we wanted our last child. So we started NTNP in July. We got pregnant in August that ended in a very early m/c in September. We were told that we could try again right away so 2 weeks later I ovulated and got pregnant again. I had an u/s at 6 weeks 4 days and it showed a sac measuring 6 weeks. I knew it wasn't good because I knew exact dates! In that u/s they saw a cyst on my right ovary. I came back a week later when I had miscarried and they did another u/s to look at the cyst and make sure that I didn't have anything leftover from the m/c hanging around. The cyst grew, so the dr said to come back in 5 weeks to see if it was still growing. So I did and it had shrunk my almost half (yay) but they found a "string of pearls" of cysts on both ovaries. Now onto my Q. The us tech says have you ever been diagnosed with pcos? I said no. The dr then asks me the same thing when I see him. They both just said ok. Can you develop pcos? I have never had a cyst except early in my 4th pregnancy. I had a pelvic u/s in June 2012 for some breakthrough bleeding and no cysts were seen. I can't take bc because I have a past TIA. I am confused and scared that we won't be able to have our final baby. Any info and opinions are appreciated. Thanks

March 13th, 2014, 02:17 PM
yes, women can have cyst and not have PCOS. If I'm not mistaken I think I remember my doctor telling me all women get or can get cyst but it kind of sounds like you do have PCOS. The "string of pearls" sounds like it. Did you gain weight? Lots of times that makes symptoms show their ugly head. There honestly isn't a test to determent if you have it or not. Only a check list of symptoms and an ultrasound.
March 15th, 2014, 09:06 AM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a string of peals and my sister was diagnosed with PCOS as well. Although my doctors think that I have congential adrenal hyperplasia and not PCOS. I would have to have a genetics test to confirm but found out I was pregnant when I was finding out all this information. We only want one so I haven't gone back in to confirm. Just glad to know that CAH is a test that they perform on babies once they are born and DD was negative. Fingers crossed that DD will not have any fertility issues. Thoughts and blessings to your pregnancy!
March 15th, 2014, 01:27 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
You can have a cyst and not be PCOS, but usually if you have multiple on both ovaries then they tend to diagnose you as PCOS I think. I don't fall into many of the hormone markers for pcos but I have the cysts on both ovaries and wasn't ovulating which led to my diagnosis.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search