Just diagnosed with PCOS

Forum: Trying to Conceive With PCOS

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MommaHarvey
  • 1 Post By *Melissa*
  • 1 Post By MommaHarvey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive With PCOS LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2014, 01:43 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
Hi there! I dont even know if this board is still alive or dead but I am just going ahead and introduce myself and ask few questions!

I just got diagnosed with PCOS this past Tuesday at my OB gyn office. I had been complaining of pelvic pain for a while. They did a vaginal ultrasound and confirmed "pearly" look on my ovaries.
I was very devastated. I am TTC my #2 and to find out I have PCOS. It was a setback for me.
She did not explain any more info about PCOS but to tell me to BD every other day starting CD 10 through 18 and come back to her office for bloodwork on February 20 to check many things and beta test.
I get my period every month. I haven't tried OPK's to see if I O or not. I am doing the relaxed approach this cycle.

Any advices? Is there any of you that have PCOS and have period every month?

I'm currently taking Geritol since CD 2. I was planning to do the lemon drink but I literally despite lemon and it makes me so sick and I gag. LOL

What kind of diet should I go on? I need to lose weight if I don't get pregnant this cycle.

Last edited by ZaydensMomma; February 6th, 2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
February 7th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Also do you recognize those bloodwork rx paper that is ordered for me to take on Feb 20..... I'm trying to read as much as I can....

CBC, CMP, FLP (Not sure if it's right spelling cuz she scribbles like a Chinese doctor), TSH, Vitamin D, Vit B12, HSb A.C. (not sure if that's right spelling), progesterone, Dx pco fatigue(????), and one more that I cannot make out ..... wow I hope the labcorp can understand her writing LOL

Is there any more that she should test more on Feb 20 that she may have left out?
February 7th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There is not much life in this board anymore sadly. There are a few of us who pop in when we see a new thread to try and help out where we can. There are also some PCOSers on the TTC board, and TTCMA board.

I will try to answer the questions of yours that I can. I don't have a ton of answers, because everyone has differences in their PCOS and no two will need the exact same things to help them get PG.

One thing I can recommend is to chart your temperature in the mornings instead of just relying on OPKs. The problem with OPKs and PCOS is that with PCOS your body can gear up to O and then not follow thru. With an OPK all you can do is detect the surge. To make sure you actually succeeded in Oing you need to see the temperature shift on a chart.

I did not have regular cycles with my PCOS. I didn't have a period for almost 3 years without taking something to bring it on. But I know you can still have regular periods and your body not be functioning right.

If you need to loose weight the most successful diet for PCOS is normally a low carb diet. A lot of PCOSers have insulin resistance which can cause your body to misuse insulin. You may have perfect blood sugar, but if your body doesn't use the hormones right it will throw everything out of wack. A low carb diet can help regulate how your body uses the insulin it produces.

Some of the labs that she is wanting to draw are CBC- checks your white blood count, CMP- complete metabolic panel give you an overall blood count, and several other things, FLP- may be a lipid panel but I don't remember,if it is it is cholesterol, TSH- thyroid panel, A1C- is a broad overview of your sugar levels over like a 3 month period, progesterone is a female hormone that needs to stay in balance with your testosterone levels.

She will also probably check your testosterone, draw an HCG to check for pregnancy, insulin levels, and maybe more.

Just know that PCOS is not a death sentence to TTC it just means that you have to learn how your body works even better than someone who doesn't deal with this. Once I got medical help involved it took a year to conceive my first, but I didn't have the help of others on a board like this, and was kinda out there on my own with just my regular OB. When we decided to TTC#2 I had done so much more research plus already had an idea of what it would take for me to get PG. I did 3 months on my own, and 3 months with my OB's help and was pregnant by the end of 6 months. After that birth I kept up with the healthier lifestyle that I knew it took to keep my hormones balanced, and I am now expecting #3 which was actually a total surprise since we weren't TTC.

So it does get better. You just need to arm yourself with information.
ZaydensMomma likes this.

February 7th, 2014, 10:22 PM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
I was diagnosed with PCOS by ultrasound as well. My blood work also indicated PCOS as my LH was higher than my FSH. My period can also be irregular. It can also be super regular, so.... It's weird.
I don't have any other markers. I am healthy, in shape, no extra hair, skin tags, or dark patches. I am not insulin resistant.

I did get pg once naturally, it ended in a mc though.

I moved on to an RE because it was so discouraging. I finally had success again with injectibles medication and IUI. That was for my first son.

When we went back to try again we decided to do IVF ( for many reasons that would take too long to explain) we had success x's 2 and got our 2nd and 3rd sons

We will go back to IVF again in the fall if I don't have success naturally before then.

If you have a regular cycle you should ask your OB about Clomid. That should boost your cycle. If you partner has a normal cycle it would really improve your odds.

However, if I were you I would recommend above all else to switch to an RE if you're really serious. I spent way too much time on my OB/gyn who claimed to have extensive knowledge in the infertility feild..,

Hope that helps some?
ZaydensMomma likes this.
February 9th, 2014, 09:41 AM
MommyHarvey and Melissa, thank you so much for your inputs!

I am trying to be positive things will work out. I KNOW I have to lose weight cuz I carry more weight around the waist and stomach. I gained a lot the past few months which explains the diagnosis.

One question I am puzzled... this cycle I have been spotting every day since AF left the building last tuesday. This morning I wiped and I had wet CM with string of red blood and I am on CD 10. I have not seen like that before. What could it be happening? My doctor told me to start BD Sunday.... so today is the start of BD every other day for a week to cover all bases.

I will keep you updated this cycle. Thanks again!
February 9th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry I really can't help with that one. When I was having issues I didn't have any bleeding or spotting at all. It was almost like I was in early menopause.
ZaydensMomma likes this.

February 11th, 2014, 09:23 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
With my PCOS I did not have cycles. They had to medically induced. So it is good that your uterus is clearing itself of the lining on its own. Also, it's good that your doctor did order so many blood tests. At my doctors, once you've been diagnosed by ultrasound they don't bother with your detailed blood report which is frustrating. Every case of PCOS involves different hormones being out of whack. Charting definitely helps with telling if you are ovulating or not. For me I had near positive OPKs for months when I wasn't actually getting close.

Definitely don't just BD on Cycle days 10-18...I BD on something like cycle day 70 and lo' and behold I've got a perfectly healthy baby due in June.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search