YOUR food

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Cook Nook for a Healthy Life LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
What do you eat?
What do you not eat?
What do you eliminate and why?

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you eat? fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, & meat

What do you not eat? dairy, grain, & nightshade foods. Okay, I do eat icecream . . . but I tell myself it's only while I'm still lactating bc I need the calories or my supply drops. At least it's an all natural icecream!

What do you eliminate and why? among other reasons, dairy & grains contribute to a net acid load, causing the body to lose calcium. Our early ancestors didn't consume them, and I don't see the need to either. We stick to a modified version of the paleo diet (modified based on local produce vs what was local to our early ancestors). Interestingly enough, this is also the ancient Taoist diet, before the 5 sacred grains.

The biggest WHY: Kaiden has Down Syndrome, which means he has a metabolic disorder. He is more likely to be lactose & gluten intolerant, and I see no reason to introduce foods that I don't consider healthy to begin with - just so I can find out whether or not he's intolerant and then have to take them away.

Kaiden also had benign myoclonic seizures and I discovered that nightshade foods were the cause. Sweet potatoes & carrots also contributed to his seizure activity, so he doesn't get those either. Some - not most - individuals with Down's don't process beta carotene well, and some epileptics notice that carrots cause an increase in seizure activity for them as well. (mind you, his neurologist was adamant that diet had NOTHING to do with seizures)

The interesting thing is that once we eliminated the nightshade foods, not only did his seizures disappear in less than a week . . . but his cognitive & motor skills have taken off at a phenomenal rate, especially for someone with Down Syndrome. We think there's more to the nightshade food connection than just seizures; we think it may play a role in the developmental delays associated with Down Syndrome.
September 23rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Thank you for posting that! Just for clarification (because I'm really curious and considering cutting wheat/dairy from our diets because of allergies)...

Do you eat potatoes?
Any type of bread/cakes/dessert type stuff?
Anything w/ flour?

I thought our ancestors lived on grains? Didn't they make their own bread and pitas and what not?

Don't you get starch from grains? What else do you get them from?

What are nightshade foods?

Ok, thanks LOL!!! I'm super curious.

That is awesome you found those connections w/ his diet. You should read the article posted in the other subforum about 12 myths Dr.'s believe about diet. They really don't know that much. What I heard is that most Dr.'s graduate below the 50th percentile in their class. Scary...

Have you found other parent's who have found a connection between nightshade foods and developmental skills? I think you're on to something there. The MOST important things to us is diet... and no one really knows how to eat it seems I've been trying to decipher all the truths and myths of what is good, what's not good, what you have to have what you don't have to have etc.... It's frustrating to me.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 24th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiana View Post
Thank you for posting that! Just for clarification (because I'm really curious and considering cutting wheat/dairy from our diets because of allergies)...

Do you eat potatoes?
Any type of bread/cakes/dessert type stuff?
Anything w/ flour?

I thought our ancestors lived on grains? Didn't they make their own bread and pitas and what not?

Don't you get starch from grains? What else do you get them from?

What are nightshade foods?

Ok, thanks LOL!!! I'm super curious.

That is awesome you found those connections w/ his diet. You should read the article posted in the other subforum about 12 myths Dr.'s believe about diet. They really don't know that much. What I heard is that most Dr.'s graduate below the 50th percentile in their class. Scary...

Have you found other parent's who have found a connection between nightshade foods and developmental skills? I think you're on to something there. The MOST important things to us is diet... and no one really knows how to eat it seems I've been trying to decipher all the truths and myths of what is good, what's not good, what you have to have what you don't have to have etc.... It's frustrating to me.
No potatoes (they are a nightshade food), no bread/cakes/desserty kind of stuff. No flour. Well, not made with grains I use coconut flour if I want to thicken something (and give it a faintly sweet flavor ) can't use too much though or it tastes pasty. I do make a delicious "pancake" with eggs, coconut flour, bananas, blueberries, nuts, salt, almond flavoring, and lemon zest. Looks just like a pancake but tastes soooooooo much better!

Our neolithic ancestors ate grains. Our paleolithic (earlier than neolithic) did not.

I'm not sure what all grains contribute to the diet besides starch and carbs - but you can get those from other, healthier sources.

I haven't tried it yet, but I want so badly to try making things with cattails. You can eat dang near the whole plant at different times of the season. I really want to try pounding the older tougher roots to get a starchy substance out of them and make an unleavened doughy biscuit out of it. Flavored with fruits/nuts/whatever But the only time I have access to cattails (where I wouldn't get arrested! ) is up at our cabin in the summer. Next summer we're going up 6x instead of our usual 2 - 3x so I should get a chance to try them out in all their seasonal glory! I already love eating the young roots, they are delicious!

Nightshade foods commonly eaten are tomatoes, potatoes, jicamas, all peppers - sweet and hot (not peppercorn though, that's a different plant), eggplant, paprika, ground cherries, goji berries, tomarillos, and a bunch of others I'm not familiar with. Most commonly known but NOT eaten is belladonna (aka deadly nightshade). In small quantities, belladonna is used to treat a variety of ailments, seizures being one of them. In high quantities, they can cause the very ailment they treat in small doses. Eating nightshade foods (for someone that cannot process them) = taking a high dose. Belladonna is the main ingredient in the Hylands teething tablets.

I have not yet ever come across another person who connects nightshade foods with developmental skills. But most people don't cut them out of children's diets - it's usually the older generation with arthritis or gout or some other ailment aggravated or caused by nightshade foods. It would be really interesting to see though if someone else would just try it!

I am rebuilding Kaiden's nervous system. I highly recommend Dr. Christopher's line of supplements; they use the whole fresh plant, not just singling out pieces/parts. Their products healed my herniated & bulging discs so of course I'm a HUGE fan. So, Kaiden gets their Ear & Nerve Tonic. And it's made a huge difference, even before the seizures stopped. What does this have to do with nightshades? Nightshade foods mess with the motor and sensory neurons. It's already known that with Down Syndrome, the motor neurons are shorter and misshapen.

Seeing how Kaiden is progressing phenomenally . . . I believe SOME of the developmental delays are because the nervous system with Down Syndrome is numbed (due to the neurons' deformity). Now add nightshade effects onto that, which would only mess them up further. Can you imagine how hard it could be to learn when your whole nervous input barely works? Not just your touch/feel nerves . . . but your optical & auditory nerves as well.

Maybe all individuals with Down syndrome should avoid nightshades, IDK. But with their metabolic disorder, I think they should eat as healthy as possible, and my belief is that our ancestors had the right idea.
September 24th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Thank you for giving me all that information That was very informative!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 24th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchild View Post
I believe SOME of the developmental delays are because the nervous system with Down Syndrome is numbed (due to the neurons' deformity). Now add nightshade effects onto that, which would only mess them up further. Can you imagine how hard it could be to learn when your whole nervous input barely works? Not just your touch/feel nerves . . . but your optical & auditory nerves as well.
And today . . . I found the connection!!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!
you can read about it here: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f6...0-i-right.html or more in depth on my blog
September 25th, 2010, 10:09 AM
That's AMAZING!!! I knew you were on to something, amazing amazing!! Good for you!!!!! *happy dance*

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 20th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Super Mommy
Wow, definitely impressed! Kaiden is certainly lucky to have you for his mama! I worked in neurology at the Children's hospital here in Denver for about 2 years back in 2001....and the closest they ever got to dietary changes for seizure activity was to put little ones with seizures on a ketogenic diet. Other than that, no other research was really promoted. So kudos to you on being so aware! I personally think that most psychological issues (ADHD, depression, etc) are diet caused, with of course a 10% being an actual biological cause - and simple changes can make a huge difference.

I personally avoid nightshades if possible, and every time I do not avoid them, I pay with crazy aches and pains and fatigue. I'm 6 weeks along in my pregnancy and have eaten them more this week due to a nasty head cold ... and hot peppers are the only things that seem to clear my sinuses out in a decent manner, beside the trusty neti pot and steam/vaporizer.

August 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
WAY awesome info and i know im about a year late but im so happy you were discovering new and improved ways to help you son

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽¸.☆
´ ¸.☆´ ☆
¸☆´
´¯☆. ¸. ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. ¸.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search