Introduction

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk and TTC LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone! My name is Beth, and my son Jim was born at 27 weeks 2 days due to premature rupture of membranes in the midst of an otherwise normal pregnancy (he's now a healthy normal 3-year-old), so that makes me high risk for the next pregnancy. DH and I are just starting to TTC. AF should be showing up at any moment now (she's actually a little late and I am starting to wonder what's going on, since she's very regular...but it is highly unlikely that I'm pregnant already), so next cycle we'll be starting to try seriously. We're hoping for a girl, so we're trying to time things accordingly, which may mean it takes a bit longer to TTC, but fertility has not been an issue for us in the past, so I'm hoping it won't be this time.

I have a doc lined up for when I do get pregnant--the guy who ended up delivering Jim when he came so early. He's part of a large perinatal practice at the hospital where Jim was in the NICU, and we really liked that hospital, so that's where I'm planning to deliver again. I had a visit with the doc back in December to talk about what went wrong (we don't know), what my odds are of having it happen again (10%, although, if it does happen again, it's likely to happen in every subsequent pregnancy), and what my care would look like in the next pregnancy (biweekly u/s to check on cervix, etc.).

I'm nervous about PPROMing again, but feeling like I've got a good support network around me and they'll catch something going wrong because I'll be getting much closer monitoring.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself--nice to see some familiar faces around here from the preemies/NICU board!

October 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Welcome! I hope it happens quickly for you. It's great you already have a Dr. and everything lined up. There are a few of us here from the Preemie board. It's a little slow here but I check in daily.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Rebecca! Yes, I'm really glad about having a good doc lined up. I had literally only met him once before delivering Jim, and yet both DH and I felt 100% comfortable with him. I was glad he agreed to see me in the next pregnancy!

October 1st, 2010, 10:33 PM
*~*N*i*c*o*l*e*~*'s Avatar Mommy Since 2006
hey hun,

hopefully you get prego real fast and no complications during your pregnancy. When are you going to test if af s late?

******Thank you Julka for my beautiful siggy******

October 2nd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good question...we only BD'd on Wednesday (we wanted to wait until we got back from vacation) and AF was supposed to show up yesterday. No sign of her today either. I am totally scratching my head, because at CD 24 I shouldn't have been fertile, and I have no idea when I would be able to test if I did get PG on CD 24, KWIM? With Jim, we just figured out roughly when I was ovulating and then BD'd every 2 days for about a 10-day stretch before and after ovulation, and on the second month, I tested when AF didn't show up on the morning she should have, and bingo, BFP. So I know zippo about more complex cycle patterns.

I'm figuring I'll give it another couple of days and if AF doesn't show, I'll test again? DH went out and bought a few sticks this morning, which of course will probably bring AF on. But since we didn't expect to get PG this quickly, it wouldn't be so bad if AF showed up this weekend.

October 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Update: tested this morning, BFN, but AF is still not here. I am marginally queasy if I haven't eaten in a couple of hours, including first thing when I wake up, which is a feeling I haven't had since I was pregnant with Jim. And my boobs feel funny, like lactating, which sometimes happens when AF is on the way.

DH and I also BD'd around the time I was O'ing but with a condom (like I said, we didn't want me to be pregnant on vacation). So I suppose the condom could have failed? But then why BFN?

I was also pretty tremendously stressed out around the time I should have been Oing (found out I didn't get a promotion at work, was pretty upset about it) so maybe that just messed with my cycle?

Totally confused...so anyway, I'll probably wait another week and see what happens. Very weird because AF is usually so totally regular!

October 3rd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Update: started spotting, pretty sure AF is on the way. Which is good, I was planning for next cycle to be our start-trying time anyway and the whole "What the heck is going on?!?!" thing makes me stressed.

October 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey Beth i dont know if we've ever talked about it but did you have a c section or regular birth with J? Just curious, as you might know my water broke with Mikey early too and it was because i have a bicornuate uterus. Of course i'm not saying you have one... but i've been told by my doc that its actually a lot more common then people realize but since you basically need a c section to diagnose unless you're looking for it most people dont realize they have one. Again i dont know if you've had any tests or anything done to figure out why your water broke but all you would need to get is an ultrasound and possible HSG to figure out if you have a "broken" uterus as my dh calls it. Just a thought

Oh and GL!

October 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam914 View Post
Hey Beth i dont know if we've ever talked about it but did you have a c section or regular birth with J? Just curious, as you might know my water broke with Mikey early too and it was because i have a bicornuate uterus. Of course i'm not saying you have one... but i've been told by my doc that its actually a lot more common then people realize but since you basically need a c section to diagnose unless you're looking for it most people dont realize they have one. Again i dont know if you've had any tests or anything done to figure out why your water broke but all you would need to get is an ultrasound and possible HSG to figure out if you have a "broken" uterus as my dh calls it. Just a thought

Oh and GL!
Hi Sam! No, I didn't have a c-sec with Jim, almost had to because his arm was up over his head, but the doc was able to sweep it out of the way so his head could engage, then out he popped. I will definitely ask about screening for a bicornate uterus at the first doctor appointment. It wouldn't show up in a regular ultrasound? I had a very involved ultrasound after my water broke, which was where they discovered Jim's situs inversus, but they were more focused on the placenta and on his crazy organs than they probably were focused on my uterus.

October 17th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
To be honest, i'm not entirely sure... i'm just sort of, an informer if that makes sense i just feel like a lot of people who's water have broken earlier dont know that this is a potential reason for it (thats what my doc said), so i just sort of mention it a lot

At my first u/s at 6 weeks they wrote "suspected" bicorn... but nothing was noticed at any of my other u/s's (including the two they gave me after my water broke) so i'm not sure.

October 18th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam914 View Post
To be honest, i'm not entirely sure... i'm just sort of, an informer if that makes sense i just feel like a lot of people who's water have broken earlier dont know that this is a potential reason for it (thats what my doc said), so i just sort of mention it a lot

At my first u/s at 6 weeks they wrote "suspected" bicorn... but nothing was noticed at any of my other u/s's (including the two they gave me after my water broke) so i'm not sure.
It is amazing what they can miss at an ultrasound. At the one where they measured all of Jim's organs and told us it was a boy, they missed that his organs are BACKWARDS. I mean seriously, how do you measure organs but not notice they're in the wrong place? I will make sure it's something that gets look at during my first ultrasound, thanks for the tip!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search