My OB Appt Yesterday- Loss Mentioned (X-posted)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk and TTC LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies!
So I had a follow-up appt with my OB yesterday because he had put me on Zoloft my last appt- I felt like I eeded something to help me get through October (my EDD) and the holidays. Good news is the Zoloft seems to be working and I actually am on half the dose now. I'm planning on taking it through the holidays and then hopefully stopping in early January. My OB said if I get pg while on it it's OK.
So we discussed a little bit more another pregnancy- this is the first time we could really discuss it because every other appt since having Matthew I've been too emotional and could barely speak. I love my OB but I'll admit walking into his office is hard- not only seeing pregnant women but just remembering being there and getting bad news about Matthew and then being told I needed to be induced and not to expect him to make it. Anyways, we discussed that all of mine and DH's genetic tests came back normal and that really there's no explanatation for what happened with Matthew. For those of you who don't know, the short version is that I apparently broke my water between 17 and 18 weeks without realizing it (I had bladder issues so sometimes urine leaks so I must have thought amniotic fluid was urine) and I was induced at 23 weeks due to an impending uterine infection. After multiple doctor's visits, we had known that no matter when Matthew was born, he would not survive due to undeveloped lungs due to the lack of amniotic fluid. Anyway, my OB mentioned that he discussed me with the perinatologist and they are debating whether to recommend a cerclage for me for my next pregnancy. I didn't show any signs of an incompetent cervix (it stayed apparently closed and long) but apparently it could have been the case anyways? However, apparently a risk of that procedure can be weakening the amniotic membrane. Basically, my OB said that I should research it and discuss it with DH and then we can discuss it more later with my OB- my next appt will probably be when I get a BFP.
I've been thinking about my appt since yesterday and it's stressing me out even though I'm not pg yet. I just needed to vent ladies- thanks for reading!

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
November 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
*~*N*i*c*o*l*e*~*'s Avatar Mommy Since 2006
Im so sorry about your loss hun. Looking at your Siggy, your son was beautiful. Im so sorry you had to go through that.

Im glad your ob gave you something to help you through the holidays. Hopefully you will get that bfp as soon as you are ready for it and move on to a healthy 9 months. Im glad your docs willing to send you to a specalist to make sure nothing happens again.

******Thank you Julka for my beautiful siggy******

November 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad the appointment went OK. I will be interested to hear what you and your docs decide about the cerclage--I may be in the same position with my pregnancy, since my water broke early Jim and that's why he was so premature. I was just luckier than you in that it happened at 27 weeks instead of 17, so his lungs were developed enough for him to survive. My peri has told me that I have about a 10% chance of it happening again, and if I get through the next pregnancy with no issues, then I could probably have 100 babies without it happening again. But he said if I'm the 10% that has it happen again, it'll probably happen in every subsequent pregnancy. His plan for me is to follow me very closely, with ultrasounds every 2 weeks starting around 16 weeks to check my cervix. I'm also going to be asking for P17 shots, did your doc say anything about those? I have a friend from the NICU whose son was also early because of PPROM, and she did the P17 shots with her second pregnancy, and it was a picture perfect pregnancy. Let's hope you and I are as lucky with our next pregnancies!

November 27th, 2010, 04:59 PM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are P17 shots? And do they know why your water broke? They honestly never found out actually when my water broke or even that it did- it's just the logical conclusion since I suddenly didn't have any and there was nothing wrong with Matthew that would have caused the lack of fluid.

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
November 29th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They have no idea why my water broke. The peri who delivered Jim saw me about this time last year as we were deciding whether to TTC. My family practitioner had initally told me that because my placenta had a massive infection (they tested it after Jim was born), she thought that it was probably an infection that caused my water to break. But the peri said that because of how my cervix presented, he's pretty sure the infection came after my water broke, rather than before. So, we honestly don't know why this happened. I am certain that my water broke--I woke up in the middle of the night thinking I'd wet the bed, so it was a pretty big gush.

P17 shots are progesterone shots, and you take them once a week. I think they usually start them around 14 weeks or so, and they keep doing them until about 28 weeks from what I can tell. The idea is that they help with irritable uterus, which can cause your cervix to weaken and then your water breaks. I've talked to a couple of women who have had them and said that they could tell when it was about time for their shot because they were getting crampy, then once they had the shot, they were better. Of course, if it wasn't irritable uterus that caused your water to break, then I have no idea if they'd help, but from what I've read, they can't hurt (they're very safe).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search