cervical shortenning and tunneling

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk and TTC LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I had an ultrasound yesterday my 20 week im 19 weeks today healthy baby boy 99th percentile geezus lol, Ive had 3 terminations and 6 misscarrages so have been on edge the whole time.

the lady did an internal and found my cervix has shortened to 1.9 and tunnelling to 2.9 i have no idea what this means :-( i have a appointment today with hospital as im already a high risk for results on els (lupus) i know nothings going right.

I dont even know what to ask i think im just on edge loosing my mind thought id try get it out somewhere someone might understand.
December 12th, 2013, 03:10 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Your cervix should be longer at this point during pregnancy...closer to 4 cm instead 2. This is concerning as it is a sign that you could deliver early.

It is great that you are already being monitored closely...your docs will want to keep a close eye on your cervix. They may put you on progesterone (either injections or vaginal suppositories), because that can help prevent preterm labor. You may also be put on bedrest or modified bedrest to help decrease the pressure on your cervix. Avoid bending over at the waist, lifting heavy objects (even carrying grocery bags) and going up/down stairs, as these things are the most strenuous.

The good news is that with close monitoring and modified activity, you can most likely bake this baby to full term

ETA: I had a shortening cervix with my twins. By 24 weeks my cervix was less than .75cm I was on home bedrest until my water broke at 33w1d. Yes the babies were in the NICU for 28 days and it wasn't fun, but they are perfectly healthy one-year olds now and meeting every milestone.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Last edited by KMH; December 13th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
December 13th, 2013, 03:08 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
This bad news but good news. Your cervix is too short BUT you know. Expect to be put on bedrest. You may eventually be put on hospital bedrest. You may not make it to 40 weeks. But you're not automatically losing the pregnancy. My cousin went through this. She was on hospital bedrest for 8 weeks. It sucked. Her son is about to turn five - he's really a charmer. I even knew a woman who was so funneled that her baby jammed her little foot down into it! She has a happy healthy baby.

I have had losses like you - three terminations. I know how scary it is, but I also know that things work out. I have a baby who beat the odds, and you can do it too.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 18th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks girls. I too was funnelling enough for his little had to fit in lil bugger was trying to climb out. I had a cerclage placed saturday morning and was released sunday arvo. Everything seems to be going ok now have progesterone every night and taking it easy. Fingers crossed
December 31st, 2013, 06:32 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Good, a cerclage will really help. My cousin has had cerclages with both of her pregnancies and as a result I have a healthy 'niece' and 'nephew'.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search