Learning about the Goddess BAST!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Pagan's Learning Circle LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
So, I dont know a whole lot about many of the Goddess' and I am so interested in learning about them. I thought whoever is interested we could do some research and discussions here about a specific Goddess and the herbs, stones/crystas land animals that are associated with the Goddess that we are studing. Maybe even the consort or God that is also associtated with that particular Goddess.

I know its a few days late but I thought we could start with Bast. I got interested in Her because of Krissys thread and the few things that were discussed there. Distant Sun suggested a link that was really great.

per-Bast.org

I havent read through them yet but here are a few more to get started

Bast (Bastet) Egyptian Goddess

Bast

Bast the Cat Goddess

The Goddesses of Ancient Egypt

Egyptian Statues-Bast-Bastet

news articles:
Cat Goddess Temple: Egypt Announces Find Of Ancient Temple
BBC News - Temple to cat god found in Egypt

im really excited to learn more about Her, espeacially since she is so close with cats. Astro and I are very close he is the best kitten EVER and I am so blessed that he has become part of our family.

so if your interested, lets learn about the different Goddess'

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

January 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Very interesting about her name! I didn't know the "et" was added to get people to pronounce it properly as "BasT" and not "Bas".

Known as a protector and avenger, associated with Kings. Image was then spread to protect children and pregnant women. Fertility, music and arts.

I've noticed that many Goddesses who start as protectors are then turned to protectors of children and pregnant women and thus, fertility. Anyone else find this same pattern with other Goddesses?

I'm still confused on how Het-hert, Sekhmet and Bast are related. Are they three separate Gods or the same and just transform?

Or maybe what I'm understanding is that Het-hert (whom is ????) turns into Sekhmet for Upper Egypt and Bast is for Lower Egypt, both being paired but one is not the nicer version of the other, just different contexts of the whole?

______

I only got as far as the Happy Fluffy Sex Goddess part Will have to read more later!

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

Team Green Predicted A Boy

January 4th, 2011, 04:14 PM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
Het-hert is Romanized as Hathor. Het-hert is a goddess of love, sex, and fertility. Because the Kemetic religion is SO old, lots of goddesses have been synchronized over the years, and almost every goddess (other than Nebt-het, who is the Goddess and protectress of the dead) has been synchronized with Het-hert.

Sekhmet and Bast are definitely distinct deities, and were worshiped in different regions of the country. Even though they have much in common, they weren't often synchronized. You will find mentions of Bast-Het-hert, however, and Het-hert-Sekhmet. Confusing? You betcha.

That fourth link has so many things wrong with it, I just don't know what to say. Here's a more accurate link: Bast - Wepwawet Wiki

Thank you so much, cavewoman!

Last edited by DistantSun; January 4th, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
January 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Whew lots of reading! lol

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC

January 5th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Found some interesting pictures of Bast!

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC

January 5th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Mystixism's Avatar Mistress of the Universe
We should all change our avatars to reflect the Goddess of the month/week Might be fun.. I am still reading.. lots of good information there

January 5th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystix View Post
We should all change our avatars to reflect the Goddess of the month/week Might be fun.. I am still reading.. lots of good information there
awesome idea! ill look for some pics for it - hope i can find some if anyone else has some they are willing to share that would be great too!

im still reading a lot too. there is sooo much. but i really like how BAST is like "THERE" for us. Its like she makes it easy to feel someone is listening to her and being protected by her.

I espeacially like the anime version n the pics above of her

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

January 5th, 2011, 08:38 PM
so i went looking a little and i found someon photobucket that are cute. i loved the one in my avatar and there are some others there too if anyones wants to find one of Bast.

ill kepp looking for more

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

January 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
AHA mommentds are awesome!

i was reading about Bast, and saw that she is the same as Artemis! No WONDER she sounded so very familier to me. I love that She has been around since before writing and that, even though She was worshiped under a different name, people in other lands knew of Her and was well respected and loved.

candle colors are red, green and white!

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

January 6th, 2011, 03:37 AM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
I'm going to try to start my reading on Bast today and will look for an avatar

I wanted to chime in and this recent talk of Bast has apparently imbedded itself into my brain. Last night, I was trying to fall asleep and was feeling pretty weepy, so I asked the Goddess for help. I *meant* to say Gaia, but Bast popped out! I'm taking this as a sign that I need to do more research on Her.

January 6th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I have to completely disagree that She is the same as Artemis. Artemis is a perpetual virgin, and Bast has at least one child. Bast isn't a goddess of the Hunt, whereas Artemis is all about it. Bast likes to take time for leisure and relaxation, Artemis always seemed the kind of gal to be on the go consistently. The Greeks may have synchronized them, but the Greeks were really intent on making all Gods the same, and I just don't think that's true.

January 6th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Here is another interesting Bast image:

ETA: According to that first link, it is a myth that Bast was associated with the moon. Darn! Although I still think the image is neat

Last edited by *~Ginny~*; January 6th, 2011 at 04:32 AM.
January 7th, 2011, 05:30 PM
It is a myth that She is associated with the moon, being as She's the Eye of Ra... But that's okay, that happens to be one of my favorite Bast images.

I want this!!!!

I have this statue.

January 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I agree. The detailing and quality of that mask is gorgeous.

January 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Offerings commonly made for Bast/to Bast:
Catnip
Clove cigarettes - you can smoke them, but if you just light one and burn it like incense, She'll accept it
Dark chocolate - the darker the better
Red wine - She tends to prefer meatier wines, not light or fruity ones
Cool water - always appreciated by Gods of the desert
Nag Champa Incense

January 12th, 2011, 09:54 AM
That's a beautiful mask!

It makes sense that cats were so revered because of all the rats and mice the cats ate that plagued Egypt. Cats could even eat off the owners plates and were mummified in a temple to bast!

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC

January 13th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Another site, i like this one so far.

Distant Sun - I have finally found what you were talking about. How people in greece associated Bast with Artemis and Isis. It took me a few web sites to find this but it is intriguing. I really like this site. if you have time can you check it out and let us know what you think of it?

also another site i found - juat wanted to share the image of Bast really. its a really cool pic of Her with wings. not sure how closely it fits her but its beautiful
Winged Bast - Cat Goddess

eta: another site - going to read it now so not sure how good it is
Temple of Ra

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

Last edited by Bella Nyxe; January 13th, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
January 14th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I've never seen Bast as having wings, nor have I ever seen Her as a cat headed hawk. I suppose it's theoretically possible for Her to appear to someone in those guises, but I wouldn't have it be the first thing I saw for Her. I know that Ra-Horakty could be a cat headed hawk, as this is Ra in His form as Ra of the Sunrise, and Ra both took forms as a cat and a hawk. Most of the rest is pretty accurate, but I don't always expect everyone to have interpreted Momma the way I do.

January 29th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I had a great time learning about the Goddess! I LOVE her Image and what she represented<3

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search