PART 1 - The Complete Idiots Guide to Wicca & Witchcraft

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Pagan's Learning Circle LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaverde View Post
I just wanted to chime in about KJ and his supposed mistranslation of Exodus 22:18.

There are two prevailing thoughts on this, one is yes it was mistranslated and the other is that it wasn't.

Personally, I think it was a mistranslation, not out of malice, but ignorance because the word used in this particular verse had lost it's contextual meaning. The word is kashaph and though I don't speak hebrew, several people have made a great case about it's mistranslation and better explain why they think so than I could do justice to.

Here's a good one:
Article on Witchcraft and Christianity - JREF Forum

There are other arguments for the word meaning someone with the knowledge of herbs, or a poisoner. Although some christians have argued that the word kashaph appears later in the OT, along side condemnation for other practitioners of the dark arts. Which is why the link above makes the most sense, if indeed it was a mistranslation. I'll leave it up to you guys to form your own opinions. Just wanted to share because some of you had questions about that point.
I had to go through the posts to figure out what you were talking about Now I need to look at that page again so I can put your info to it, thanks!!!!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM
lunaverde's Avatar Hoping for #3
No problem, this was one of the first things I felt compelled to look up when I was transitioning from identifying myself as a christian. Realizing it was very likely a mistranslation made me feel better somehow. lol Not sure why!

I found a copy of the Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft and have been reading this book and so far, it's a nice refresher course, imho. I was just reading through this thread to see what you guys had thought of the book and just wanted to add my own take on the verse in question as I often heard it quoted by the adults in my life during my times in church. o_O

Sorry if it wasn't clear right off the bat what I was referring to. I forget that not everyone has the same background in christianity and biblical teaching that I have had.

TTC cycle #1 - vitex, dong quai, epo, mucinex, vitamin c, B50 complex and omega-3 fish oil - BFN
TTC cycle #2 - vitex, dong quai, epo, mucinex, vitamin c, B50 complex and omega-3 fish oil - BFN
TTC cycle #3 - vitex, epo, vitamin c, B50 complex, omega-3 fish oil and pineapple core - BFN
TTC cycle #4 - vitex, dong quai, EPO, mucinex, B50 complex, omega-3 fish oil, flax seed, prenatals, carrot sticks/grapefruit (to help improve fertile CM) - BFN
Not TTC right now
May 16th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaverde View Post
No problem, this was one of the first things I felt compelled to look up when I was transitioning from identifying myself as a christian. Realizing it was very likely a mistranslation made me feel better somehow. lol Not sure why!

I found a copy of the Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft and have been reading this book and so far, it's a nice refresher course, imho. I was just reading through this thread to see what you guys had thought of the book and just wanted to add my own take on the verse in question as I often heard it quoted by the adults in my life during my times in church. o_O

Sorry if it wasn't clear right off the bat what I was referring to. I forget that not everyone has the same background in christianity and biblical teaching that I have had.
Oh, you're fine! It had just been a while so I couldn't remember what I was talking about

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search