PART 1 - The Complete Idiots Guide to Wicca & Witchcraft

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Pagan's Learning Circle LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Start your chitter chatter here chickadees!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 12th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Some Som
So, I'm actually surprised how much I'm liking this book so far. I'm only on page 6, but I like how the author is explaining "magic", it's more about manipulating your own energy to help yourself and sometimes others around you. And that everyone has the potential to do it, but not everyone chooses to recognize the ability or use it.

I was half expecting to read something about about people claiming to be able to do some crazy unnatural (and impossible) stuff. But, none has shown up so far.

Edit: And done with part 1!

Last edited by Some Som; February 12th, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
February 12th, 2011, 06:32 PM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
I've already read through this book quickly, but I might have to do it again. We'll see!

Thank you so much, cavewoman!
February 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
This book is a very easy read. There are some thing in it that I'd like to research more, I'll have to post them later. I'm on Ch. 3, only had enough ink in the printer to print out that much or I would have read more at work !!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 12th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Comments, agreements, disagreements from what I've read so far:

Pg.8 It says that Wiccans do not work with negative energies or evil. I've known different Wiccans (there are different Wiccan paths) that do work with negative energies. They believe that in order to understand good, one must understand evil as well. Encompass, incorporate etc... they do do hexes and what not (and this isn't just for Wiccans, but since the book is about Wiccans that's why I'm commenting on Wiccans). So, there is a difference of opinion on this in the Wiccan community.

Pg.8 I really like the comment about the SUV and that what's important is how you act.

Pg.9 Great warning. You're all crazy, I'd never meet you IRL j/k!

Pg.13 Wicca became a federally recognized religion! I would like to see Paganism become recognized just like Christianity is and then all their different sects fall into that broad category.

Pg.15 Superstition is magic as well. I've not heard it explained like this. I think the descriptions of magic (at least so far, I'm sure they go more in depth later on) is very vague. Yes, little things are magic as well, but generally speaking it does take a lot more focus and intent to perform magic and it's not always easy.

Pg.20 Of Popes & Pagans
It sounds horrible what was done to Pagans doesn't it? Just keep in mind that we did it to them first when Christianity was coming about, we were the ones telling them no and there were killings too.

Pg.20 I want to research more about the Virgin Mary & "Our Lady" thing. I've not heard of that before, but it is interesting.

Pg.22 The Burning Times. There are a lot of blinkies and even flair on FB about the burning times, "The Burning Times, Never Again" is a popular saying you can find in many Pagan's siggies on various sites. There is a lot of "fluffy" animosity towards seeing these saying, but I don't understand why? Yes, many people died, only a few of them actual witches (and this book makes it sound like many more were witches when they weren't), but.... they were using the idea of witchcraft to turn it evil (even if it was a cover for something else political), so.. using Witchcraft as a scapegoat is still something to reflect on and feel sorrow about, even if it was so long ago. That's my thoughts.

Pg.23 King James I changed the bible to say that? Really? Is it still in the bible like that?

Pg.27 I like the info provided w/ all the legal stuff.

That's my thoughts and stuff so far from reading

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 12th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Some Som
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Loves View Post

Pg.15 Superstition is magic as well. I've not heard it explained like this. I think the descriptions of magic (at least so far, I'm sure they go more in depth later on) is very vague. Yes, little things are magic as well, but generally speaking it does take a lot more focus and intent to perform magic and it's not always easy.

I really loved how that was explained. I've been around far too many self proclaimed Wiccans and Pagans that claim that their magic is always something grand and completely impossible (I'll put a curse on you that'll make you live a horrible life!)

There is one side note claiming that you could make your ex fall back in love with you as a punishment, though. I don't agree with that at all, that it's possible. For me, if you actually make your ex fall back in love with you, it has nothing to do with a spell. xD

Also, the magic with a "k" thing still kind of bugs me.
February 12th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I always say "magic" because that's what I've always know and I really don't care. But, there is a difference of opinion of the proper use of the spelling. One is to differentiate between stage-hand and the other for actual spiritual magic.

But... I don't care. If I say I'm a witch and I perform magic, I'm pretty sure anyone w/ an IQ of at least 1 knows what I'm talking about

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 12th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Pg.30 Webweaving

Ok, didn't know that, but it makes sense. I wonder if it's the other way around though, where coven were already in place and the Christians based the monks off of 13 to help bring Pagan's into their religion?

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 13th, 2011, 06:52 AM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnious View Post

Also, the magic with a "k" thing still kind of bugs me.

Magick really annoys me as well. It really cheapens it for me and makes this all seem like LARPing or child's play.

Last edited by *~Ginny~*; February 13th, 2011 at 07:01 AM.
February 13th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Did anyone notice the book is copyrighted by Amaranth? What a coincidence!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM
quote=Mama2Loves;23048477

Quote:
Pg.8 It says that Wiccans do not work with negative energies or evil. I've known different Wiccans (there are different Wiccan paths) that do work with negative energies. They believe that in order to understand good, one must understand evil as well. Encompass, incorporate etc... they do do hexes and what not (and this isn't just for Wiccans, but since the book is about Wiccans that's why I'm commenting on Wiccans). So, there is a difference of opinion on this in the Wiccan community.
I agree with what you're saying, but I wanted to further elaborate that I don't believe energy itself is inherently good or evil, but instead can be utilized in good or negative ways.

I did want to ask what particular Wiccan paths you were thinking about that openly and explicitly utilize energy negatively. Diana Wiccanism comes to mind, but I've only read very little about them and really only one tiny article said that they will do that.

Quote:

Pg.9 Great warning. You're all crazy, I'd never meet you IRL j/k!
I'm kind of scared to go to a pagan function Apparently I really need to get my butt into gear though and do something about it.

Quote:
I agree. I'm sure they will go into some more detail (hopefully) later on.

Quote:
Pg.20 I want to research more about the Virgin Mary & "Our Lady" thing. I've not heard of that before, but it is interesting.
I agree. Very interesting! Those that I've talked to who are Christan, but not Catholic, tend to feel that most of Catholiscm is somewhat...hmmm I'm not sure how to explain it, but maybe treading the line between Christianity and Mysticism/Paganism. So the above comment makes sense to me.

Quote:
Pg.22 The Burning Times. There are a lot of blinkies and even flair on FB about the burning times, "The Burning Times, Never Again" is a popular saying you can find in many Pagan's siggies on various sites. There is a lot of "fluffy" animosity towards seeing these saying, but I don't understand why? Yes, many people died, only a few of them actual witches (and this book makes it sound like many more were witches when they weren't), but.... they were using the idea of witchcraft to turn it evil (even if it was a cover for something else political), so.. using Witchcraft as a scapegoat is still something to reflect on and feel sorrow about, even if it was so long ago. That's my thoughts.
This reminds me of an episode from the Pagan Centered Podcast. It focused on newbie pagans and how not to be a "fluffy." One of the main speakers issue was with the Burning Times and how it is always quoted and such, and his issue was because there were never any burning times to speak of (except for possibly a couple instances that were not in the United States). So the issue with him wasn't necessarily that it was quoted, but that people think that people and real witches were literally burned at the stake. (note: I have not personally researched this so I don't know what is fact and myth)

Quote:
Pg.23 King James I changed the bible to say that? Really? Is it still in the bible like that?
I want to go check! I wonder where this verse is.

February 14th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I don't remember the specific path types, but I've seen it all over the web from different paths. The burning times, it makes sense like that how you're explaining. I have no idea which verse it is, I've never read the bible

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 14th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Okay so I wanted to say that I have already read part 1 (at work no less) and really don't want to wait 2 more weeks before we get to part 2!

February 14th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Yea... um... I didn't realize until just now that I'm halfway through Part 2 So... I'm going to start that thread now *oops*

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 15th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Yay!

February 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
i just finished chapter one about to read chapter 2 BUT i just wanted to add in ...so far i agree with the book.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽¸.☆
´ ¸.☆´ ☆
¸☆´
´¯☆. ¸. ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. ¸.

February 16th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Great Bella, happy you're loving it so far!!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 17th, 2011, 07:14 AM
its still all so basic and stuff that iv learned long time ago - but it just reminds me of how much a lean towards wicca. its a great guid for someone who doesent know about the craft yet. the basic knowledge with such a great positive on it and so far, i would diff recommend it!

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽¸.☆
´ ¸.☆´ ☆
¸☆´
´¯☆. ¸. ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. ¸.

February 20th, 2011, 10:31 AM
ok so im to chapter 3 now.

i dident know "the cruciable" was a play

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽¸.☆
´ ¸.☆´ ☆
¸☆´
´¯☆. ¸. ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. ¸.

May 15th, 2012, 01:45 PM
lunaverde's Avatar Hoping for #3
I just wanted to chime in about KJ and his supposed mistranslation of Exodus 22:18.

There are two prevailing thoughts on this, one is yes it was mistranslated and the other is that it wasn't.

Personally, I think it was a mistranslation, not out of malice, but ignorance because the word used in this particular verse had lost it's contextual meaning. The word is kashaph and though I don't speak hebrew, several people have made a great case about it's mistranslation and better explain why they think so than I could do justice to.

Here's a good one:
Article on Witchcraft and Christianity - JREF Forum

There are other arguments for the word meaning someone with the knowledge of herbs, or a poisoner. Although some christians have argued that the word kashaph appears later in the OT, along side condemnation for other practitioners of the dark arts. Which is why the link above makes the most sense, if indeed it was a mistranslation. I'll leave it up to you guys to form your own opinions. Just wanted to share because some of you had questions about that point.

TTC cycle #1 - vitex, dong quai, epo, mucinex, vitamin c, B50 complex and omega-3 fish oil - BFN
TTC cycle #2 - vitex, dong quai, epo, mucinex, vitamin c, B50 complex and omega-3 fish oil - BFN
TTC cycle #3 - vitex, epo, vitamin c, B50 complex, omega-3 fish oil and pineapple core - BFN
TTC cycle #4 - vitex, dong quai, EPO, mucinex, B50 complex, omega-3 fish oil, flax seed, prenatals, carrot sticks/grapefruit (to help improve fertile CM) - BFN
Not TTC right now

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search