PART 3 - The Complete Idiots Guide to Wicca & Witchcraft

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Pagan's Learning Circle LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Here ya go Ginny, just got two more pages to go and I'm there with ya

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 23rd, 2011, 05:31 AM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
Woo!! Now I'm off the next 2 days, so I won't be getting much reading done

February 24th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Mystixism's Avatar Mistress of the Universe
I am actually almost done with the book, but tonight I am going to start re reading so I can be on the same page as you ladies. I will start after American Idol (of course)

February 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Some Som
To be honest, I'm kind of losing steam with this book. I think the beginning started out good, but then it started talking about spells and stuff... and, while some of them are good a lot of them really have me rolling me eyes.

But, I have to keep in mind that this is suppose to be Wicca. Speaking of which, what are the biggest differences between Wicca and Paganism?
February 24th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnious View Post
To be honest, I'm kind of losing steam with this book. I think the beginning started out good, but then it started talking about spells and stuff... and, while some of them are good a lot of them really have me rolling me eyes.

But, I have to keep in mind that this is suppose to be Wicca. Speaking of which, what are the biggest differences between Wicca and Paganism?
Complete Ditto. This thread might help you discern between them. Paganism is a broad term (like Christianity) and then you have a bunch of different sects (Lutheran, Protestant, Catholic etc..)... same thing with Pagansim, there's Druidry, Christian Witchcraft, Wicca, Shamanism, Pantheists and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 4th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Okay so after taking a little break to catch up with school I'm going to start reading Part 3...it looks like everyone has given up on this book

What's the next book on the roster?

March 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
About 1/2 through part 3. I'm not big on how they say rituals have to be done, but they aren't really saying it has to be done that way either, just what the "typical" ritual outline is like.

The opening and closing of the door isn't something I believe, but... I also don't cast circles either.

So far a good read still.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Flea Markets
If I knew where any were around here, I'd totally go and find a bunch of different old bottles to store my herbs in. You can find all kinds of crafty trinkets there!! Completely agree about cleansing the energy of objects that you receive when buying or gifting because it has their energy residue on it. You want it to be yours and know you.

Great advice about only buying a few things or finding tools in nature, you don't have to buy everything upfront or even at all. They're there to help get you in the mindset but you can do it from your personal energy!

Paganism is apart of my life everyday. I work on something spiritual every day so keeping magical jewelry and clothing separate isn't for me, but I understand what they're saying in keeping stuff separate for super special occasions.

The book talks about fasting for ritual but also making sure nothing is distracting you so you can perform your ritual properly. At first it didn't make sense, I wrote.." Why? So you can be delirious, distracted and grumpy because of hunger?" :Lol: Then they go on later to explain that light meals are best. You don't want to eat a huge meal and do ritual because your bodies energy is zapped and focusing on digesting food, not on being stored for you to do magic.

Cake and Wine
At church they pass around the bread and wine as the body and blood of Christ. We have cake and wine. I'm curious as to where this practice originated from. Is the book pulling this from old time witchcraft or did it originate in Christianity and then Wicca incorporated it? Because Wicca hasn't been around for nearly as long as the body and blood of Christ practice has... has it? <---honest questions here if anyone knows, I'm going to look into it more!

I like the idea of taking a bath or shower before performing magic. Well, I especially like it because that's where most of my magic happens anyway since I'm in the water and I connect so well with it. But anyway, I don't find it necessary in order to do a ritual. As long as you are grounded, do a bit of cleansing energy and focus you should be good to go

Widdershins
Totally love the word because it sounds hilarious

I've not yet put much stock into walking counterclockwise and clockwise for certain tasks and putting altars in this spot and this direction. One thing about this book that irritates me is it's so... "directed" as to what you have to do. Almost like it focuses more on the setup to do magic than the actual magic and spiritual part of the religion.
But, I've not completed the book and I feel in Part 5 that it is starting to get a bit more serious.

Tree Grounding
Years ago (and I shared it on the forum that Sharon used to have back in 07 I think) I had this amazing tree meditation. I can't find it anywhere On pg. 114 or 115 they talk about breathing in and out and your roots growing deeper into the earth and then soaking up the nutrients. I loved it so much that I've done it about 5 times since reading that and I love it!

Music
I was pleased to see Loreena McKennitt suggested as music, I love her!

I like the explanation of a sacred space in your home. You can always cleanse your ritual space, but it's nice to have an area that's always permanently cleansed for your spirituality just like how churches feel so spiritual every time I walk into a beautiful one.

The story about forgetting to close the circle after coming back into it is not something I believe in.

A personal disagreement I have with the book is how it explains casting a circle. It irritates me because they make it seem as simple as just imagining it and waving a knife around in certain directions. It's supposed to be an energy barrier, something you have to do and create and gather and move and direct energy to. It's a lot more complicated than just picturing it in your head.

Casing a circle with a box inside for the four elements The elements are directional. The Earth is SPHERE, where's the ***** box there?

Visualizing the Elements
Not something I'm personally into. I connect more with just plain ole energy and emotions. I don't like to visualize the energy being personified, one reason I never wanted any Gods, but you're not going to see me telling Hekate to go away

Ancestors
Waking ancestors and ancient... people... and being quiet and soft because they're sleeping? How many Pagans on this Earth and in different religions are calling on those same "ancient ones"? I highly doubt that you personally are the first one using their energy in a 1,000 years. Come on now...

The Crowley story about his hair turning white because of a circle mishap - I don't believe in.

To talk or keep silent?!
I agree and disagree about not speaking of your spells. Speaking of them will make you think of them more often and give the energy more... energy for the spell. However, if it's criticized and you start second-guessing what you've done, then you're taking away from the energy for the spell.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 20th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I'll be honest...I've pretty much abandoned this book. It wasn't intentional...I was required to focus on school, but now that I have the chance to look at it again I'm just kinda..done.

March 21st, 2011, 04:42 AM
No problem Ginny!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search