Questions about convertible carseats?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads TTC Another LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok so we are looking for the next carseat to get for Kennedi. We had originally gotten the infant carrier and now she hates it. I have a close friend that's a nurse who sold me her Britax Marathon because she had an extra one. I know that technically your not supposed to buy a used carseat but I know the girl and I know her history. I know that it's never been in a wreck. Anyways, So that one is in DH's truck since she rides in it less than she rides in my car. So now we are looking for one for my car for after she turns one!! She loves the Britax but man is it EXPENSIVE for a new one! What do your LO's have and do you recommend them?

May 2010- Kennedi

Oct 2012-Everly

4 angel babies watching over us.

February 13th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have Britax Marathons and I love them. Guess I'm not much help. We bought ours at Target on clearance. They were an online item that had been returned but never opened. It's a long shot, but you could try to buy something like that.

Also, my pedi friend had a used infant seat for his daughter. It came from someone he knew and he saw nothing wrong with that since he knew the history of the seat and it was less than a year old. As long as your Marathon isn't expired, it should be fine to use since you know the history.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 14th, 2011, 06:49 AM
ChristinaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Amanda! We purchased a Britax Marathan but I hated it. I thought I was going to love it but it was a pita to work with. Don't know if it was the one we got or what but it constantly would lock up on me. It made it impossible to adjust. I had to take it apart twice to fix the straps in the back. We ended up exchanging it for this one Amazon.com: Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Car Seat, Matrix: Baby It will take him all the way to booster stage too wich was a plus. It's designed for FF though so if you already have one that will take you through the RF stage I would recommend this one for afterward. It's a great seat!

February 14th, 2011, 07:18 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have the Graco My Ride 65 and I hate it. I've actually been having a similar problem to what Christina described....and I'm really surprised to read someone on here having a experience like that cause I thought I might be the only one out there.

Edited to add: Our straps didn't want to move or are really hard to tightened sometimes....I can yank and yank and yank and sometimes the straps won't even move. It is like they are caught on something but we can't figure out exactly where the problem is. It can really be a pain. Everyone else I hear from seems to love this seat, so I may have just gotten a doozy.

Another thing about the seat is Julie hates the carseat and we thought if we bought one where she could look out the sides it would help but the side impact things stick out so much she can't see out the windows. It's a good thing but it's a bad thing. She still throws a fit and screams most of the time in the seat and although I wasn't going to turn her around until she was older, I'll probably turn her ff at 13 months and see if that solves our issues (I'm not looking for criticism here, just keeping it real).

I'm interested in getting a Britax next but will shop around first to see if there is something else that peaks my interest.

Last edited by MommaLee; February 14th, 2011 at 07:23 AM.
February 14th, 2011, 07:38 AM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like Val, we stumbled on an incredible deal that was too good to pass up.

We were able to snap up some Britax BLVDS and paid $200 LESS than what it was advertised for since they were trying to get rid of the old designs when the new ones came out last August. But since they were manufactured in June 2010, I didn't have a problem with the "older design" since it was sooo much cheaper!

Mari does really well in it and it gives her so much more room than when she's cramped into her Chicco KeyFit. I will say though that the BLVD is quite bulky so I could see how it might be more difficult to fit into a smaller car, but overall, we are quite happy with it.

February 14th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
we have carseats similar to this one and LOVE them! We have one in each of our cars and Bella has been in it since she was 4 months old.

Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat - Oh! - Evenflo - Babies "R" Us

February 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have Billy in a MR65 and we love the seat. He has always been a screamer in the car so its no biggie for us. He is still RF and we don't plan to turn him anytime soon. I know the ladies on the carseat board can be a lot of help if you give them your budget, car make/model, and what you are looking for! Good luck.

February 14th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies! I have one other question. How long are the carseat good for before they expire?

May 2010- Kennedi

Oct 2012-Everly

4 angel babies watching over us.

February 15th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I think there is suppose to be a date of expiration that will be on the seat itself (like on a sticker on the backside).
February 15th, 2011, 05:27 PM
For the Britax seats, I believe it's 6 years from the date of manufacture. I don't know if this is different for brands

February 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have the Safety FIrst Complete Air 65 and i LOVE it! Its one of the tallest seats so its unlikely the child will out grow it before height wise before they do weight wise (which is a major problem with most seats). It rear faces to 40lbs and forward faces to 65 lbs. It also sits very upright so its much better at fitting in cars and is also fairly narrow.

February 16th, 2011, 02:48 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
"We have the Graco My Ride 65 and I hate it. I've actually been having a similar problem to what Christina described....and I'm really surprised to read someone on here having a experience like that cause I thought I might be the only one out there.

Edited to add: Our straps didn't want to move or are really hard to tightened sometimes....I can yank and yank and yank and sometimes the straps won't even move. It is like they are caught on something but we can't figure out exactly where the problem is. It can really be a pain. Everyone else I hear from seems to love this seat, so I may have just gotten a doozy."

I have the same problem with ours!!! I thought it was just mine since everyone does seem to love them. We are probably going to get another seat because it's so awful and I can't adjust the straps at all.

February 16th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Casey - while I don't like to hear you are having problems....I'm so glad someone else with the myride has this problem and that it is just not me cause I'm sure people's first thoughts are that I'm using it or have it installed wrong.
February 17th, 2011, 06:01 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLee View Post
Casey - while I don't like to hear you are having problems....I'm so glad someone else with the myride has this problem and that it is just not me cause I'm sure people's first thoughts are that I'm using it or have it installed wrong.
Me and DH both have taken it apart and tried to fix it numerous times. I really think it's just the darn seat. I just wish we hadn't thrown the box away because we would have definately returned it

February 17th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina'sMommy View Post
I just wish we hadn't thrown the box away because we would have definately returned it
That is exactly what I told dh.
February 26th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I love our MR65!

February 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Don't know if you purchased the seat yet, but I just saw an ad for Target with some sale prices on the "older models" of Britax.

Roundabout for $143

Marathon for $159

Hope that helps!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search