In Limbo, 6+ months, 2 week wait, 2 week wait to O.
Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.
We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
My appointment was scheduled at 2:30… we got in at 5:45. We were warned to call at 2 and see “how they were doing” which was futile because I could not get through on the phone (who still gets a busy signal in 2010). When we got there they told us to come back at 5:30… so we headed to Kingsway to wander around for a while. When we got back around 5 we were told “OH it will still be at least an hour” but we did get into the room at 5:45 and the doctor showed up at 6.
Tankel is a pretty easy going guy. I had Steve with me and when he walked in he stopped in the doorway and said, “can I come in… and can I bring my student?” as I was saying yes he could come in and of course he could bring his student he joked that I had brought a friend so he needed one too. We all laughed and it broke any tension that might have existed.
We started by going through my pregnancy history and he was telling me things like “you need to be investigated” and explained that in Canada RPL is still considered 3 losses but the US has recently changed their rules and are doing “investigations” after only 2 losses (good for all the new RPL patients). Then we started to go through tests and what could be causing out RPL. He joked with Steve that he should frame his SA because it was that good and he could brag to his friends about it. He also said that there were a few tests he didn’t see run that he wanted to run (factor v leiden and prothombin something or other). But we had them run last week with the genetics guy so he really had to dig for something to do. He did a swap for infection and a PAP (not because the pap would tell him anything but because I am due for one in a month anyway)
He did tell us that he wanted to give me a prescription for Promentum (progesterone) because while he didn’t know if it would help it would not hurt and wanted to makes sure we were covering our basis. Then we talked about chromosome testing (that has been done) and we are waiting for the results. He did tell me that he does not think we need to wait for the tests to come back before we “try” because they is a fairly low chance of either of them being our issue. He did say if we have a genetic issue we could still naturally carry to term but our chance of miscarriage goes up to about 80%. That being said I know there are options (ivf with genetic testing of sperm and egg before ivf) if that is our problem.
Then he said that if the remaining tests come back negative I am in the “unexplained rpl” category and all future pregnancies will have a 40% chance of miscarriage. But he didn’t see any reason not to keep trying. He also said if we get past the next 3 months and are not pregnant then we are to come back and he will look into why that is. But he was pretty sure we would be by then.
So those are the particulars of the appointment... now here is how I am feeling about it.
It scares the hell out of me that we are sitting in a position where the "best" we have is a 60% success rate with any future pregnancy. But is scares me more to think that it could be as little as 10-20% if there is a genetic issue so at this point I am hoping for 60%. I am glad we were given the green light to try and not wait for the genetic testing to come back (he said the chance is only about 8% that we have a genetic issue). And to be completely honest we only took the one cycle completely "off" and this last cycle the acupuncturist said to not worry about taking this cycle off (he said don't actively try... just don't worry about it).
I am happy I have a prescription for something that "might" help and will at very least not hurt. I am also happy that I will be getting regular checks when I am pregnant to at least give me some warning and some peace of mind that I have the attention of my doctor.
I am also happy to have THIS doctor no matter what the wait was because I felt completely comfortable with him (didn't always feel that way with my GP). I am also still trying to process everything and really come to terms with all he has said.
Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!
HUGS Michelle. I've been waiting for your update.. I'm so glad you posted all this. It sounds like you've had all the tests done recently and so we'll all be anxiously awaiting the results. I heard very similar things from my doctors - that my chance of miscarrying is higher than everyone else that's "normal" but with having a reason, it's at least over 50%. They all tell me stories of a woman who had 5, 6, 9, 11 unexplained miscarriages and then carried multiple children to term without a complication. It's not that comforting, but it does offer some hope to what sometimes feels like a hopeless situation. And - if it turns out you have a genetic issue, there is definitely ways to get around it - even if it means IVF with genetic testing of the embryos. I don't agree with him that the chance is only 10-20% with a chromosomal abnormality - that's just simply not true. It depends on the mutation, many of them (such as translocations) are at least 50%. A geneticist would be able to tell you the odds if you end up having that issue. I know that might not make you feel much better, but I just want to let you know there's plenty of hope, even if the road isn't easy. But you're strong and I have faith this will work out - especially with a doctor in your corner who cares. HUGS and KUP.
__________________ Kristin Blog on RPL and TTC
Dx Hetero Prothrombin and Factor V *Forever missing our three butterfly angel babies*
~December 08~ ~May 09~ ~September 09~
Proudly breastfeeding, pumping, and cloth diapering my little sweet pea!
Thanks Kristin. I do know that chances vary with genetic/chromosonal problems and we also have a geneticist in our corner. It was very last minute but we got a call to go to an appointmetn with a geneticist on Thrusday (last week) so we have gone through a lot of the information with him. If it turns out to be a genetic issue I know he will go through all of our options with us and will help us decide where to go from there... BUT those results will be about 8 months (possibly as long as 12). In the meantime I am glad to have some hope and some information that will help us make decisions as we go.
I also LOVE to see people like you who are beating the "odds" and keeping hope alive. I am excited to see how the rest of your pregnancy progresses
Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!
Michelle thank GOD he's a doctor you feel comfortable and compatable with! That makes all the difference in the world. He sounds optimistic about your success rate and hope that this happens quicker than anticipated so glad to have finally heard your update and that he's given you some progesterone to help and it won't hurt. It's wonderful to hear you upbeat and positive.