A parenting question

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are your thoughts/ feelings on modesty in the house?

When is it inappropriate to change in front of your child?

What do you think about the kids (of opposite sex) taking baths together? Should that stop at a certain age?

April 29th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Julka
What are your thoughts/ feelings on modesty in the house?
I am a very modest person. DH is too, I think.

When is it inappropriate to change in front of your child?
I don't think it's inappropriate to change shirt/pants at any time really (as long as you're comfortable with it), but not completely ALL your clothes. I always get dressed/changed in the bathroom unless it's just to change different shirt or pants. I am not someone who is comfortable with complete nudity in the house, I find it inappropriate.

My DH takes baths with both girls and he wears swimming trunks. That's totally appropriate IMO. I could take a shower/bath with the girls but I won't just change all my clothes infront of them, kwim? I don't see a reason to.

What do you think about the kids (of opposite sex) taking baths together? Should that stop at a certain age?
I think it's fine, but I am not too sure how long for. My girls bathe together and probably will be for a long time (or until they ask to stop it), but it probably would be a lot shorter time if I had a boy. I think it's fine when they're babies and toddlers, but I think school-age kids of opposite sex should bathe separately.
April 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM
DH and I think nothing of being naked in between shower & being dressed. We don't walk around like that, but we don't dress in the bathroom so there are a couple of minutes when we're not clothed every day. I'm just wondering if it will start being in appropriate for me to do this at some point soon, with Nathaniel nearing 3, I mean.

April 29th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Julka
Do you think it depends on how you were raised? Because I think my views are based on how it was in my parents' house simply because that is what I am used to.
April 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM
IDK. I've caught my dad walking around in his undies before. But it was only because I think that's what he wears to bed, LOL. My mom won't mind if I'm in her room while she's getting dressed. I only have sisters though, so I think it just wasn't really an issue. We're careful when my Dad is around, but otherwise it wasn't a big deal to walk around (upstairs) in a bra and pants or whatever.

We have a really small bathroom so it's a tight squeeze to get dressed in. And the bathroom is right next to our bedroom.

April 29th, 2009, 08:13 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With our first kiddos history of abuse; they are in our room if we change, and I moved in a Chinese screen to change behind, since usually time crunches happy often around our place and I need to do the wonder woman switch from the work uni into mommy clothing. Kids sit on the bed we talk, while I do the wardrobe change...

DH and I both work in an environment where clothing is required...and we don't leave our room ever w/out at least shorts/tshirt/bra on, cause ya never know when the fire dept will show up......If we get a call to respond from home ...clothing is a good thing to have on....

Right now bathtime...3 infants to a tub makes my life a hellva lot easier...this will change by 3.5-4.

Bathtime with the older ones....Again with their history, I taught Leigh, Tom taught Brandon how to wash himself and not be scared of his shower. Now its one of us outside of the bathroom door continuously talking to the child on the inside. Leigh tonite was Daddy are you still there I CANT HEAR YOU!!!!!.... Right now we are working on privacy.... I would dearly love to have 2-3 min of quiet time in the throne room w/out one hollering or trying to open the door...
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
May 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Proud Happy Single Mom
What are your thoughts/ feelings on modesty in the house? I live with my mom and youngest brother. My brothers have always walked around in their underwear so honestly I've never really thought about it. I guess that'll be something I think about more when Emily's older and actually understands things. As far as being naked. I'm not sure yet. Emily's been with me when I'm naked but no one else and no one else should be naked around her either.

When is it inappropriate to change in front of your child? That again will just depend on age. I have no problem undressing in front of a daughter but I wouldn't in front of a son. Some family friends of ours never taught their kids that our bodies are ours and ours alone and now they are having major major serious problems with the kids wanting "explore".

What do you think about the kids (of opposite sex) taking baths together? Should that stop at a certain age? I wouldn't bathe a boy and girl together after 1.5-2 years old maybe. Again for me that depends on the kid and how they act. If one child was very "touchie feelie" then no I would not continue opposite sex baths.

I know kids are interested in eachother and way Susie looks different than Johnny lol but I don't think theres age restrictions on it. Depends on the kid and how they handle it I guess.

HA! I remember walking into my Grandmas house with the whole family and you could hear her in the other room "Oh Kaite is that you???" and here she came around the corner butt naked! Happened several times actually...she never cared and made everyone else laugh lol. Caught my dad walking around all the time naked, I sit in my moms room all the time with her and she's naked. Actually hehe this is how gross my family can be. My mom has her own bathroom and there has been times where she'll be in the bathroom (door open) and all of us kids will be on her bed talking to her we're crazy i know

Last edited by *~Proud_Mom~*; May 1st, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
May 2nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy27 View Post
IDK. I've caught my dad walking around in his undies before. But it was only because I think that's what he wears to bed, LOL. My mom won't mind if I'm in her room while she's getting dressed. I only have sisters though, so I think it just wasn't really an issue. We're careful when my Dad is around, but otherwise it wasn't a big deal to walk around (upstairs) in a bra and pants or whatever.

We have a really small bathroom so it's a tight squeeze to get dressed in. And the bathroom is right next to our bedroom.
I grew up in a family of all girls too! And I've seen my dad in his undies numerous times You raise an interesting question though because while I am very modest out of the home I have no problem being naked or partially clothed in my own home - not sure when that will end. Growing up with three sisters and in a house with no air conditioning I remember many days when I would hang out in my bra until I saw my dad's car pull in the driveway from work
May 3rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
We have no modesty in this house
OK that's not strictly true!
I don't mind the girls seeing me naked if I'm getting dressed and they walk in or if I'm in the bath and they need the toilet, but with Lucas I make sure I have at least bra & panties on before he sees me, so I'm afraid that means him waiting for the toilet I think he was about 6 when I stopped letting him sit on my bed while I got dressed or be in the bathroom while I was in the bath.
Lucas doesn't like the girls seeing him naked, but he doesn't mind me or his dad (for the moment, but I know that will change)
The older girls don't like anyone but me seeing them naked and at the moment Jaidyn couldn't care less who sees her!!!
DH won't let the older girls see him naked and again I think they were about 6 when he decided to stop letting them into the bathroom etc.

Lucas has never shared a bath with the older girls because he was always in first and then the two girls shared until they were about 7 & 9.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search