Guilt

Forum: Catholic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Catholic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Julka
Do you have a strong sense of 'guilt'?

DH was home yesterday (Victoria Day here) and we had a date while my parents babysat the girls. On our way back to pick them up, I went to a public phone in our subway (metro) to call my mom's cell to see if they're home or at the park and when I was dialing, DH noticed there was a transit system metropass for May 2009 laying next to the phone. These passes cost $109/month and are unlimited usage of our public system for the entire month. DH has one of those, but I don't and just pay cash.

Well for some 3 minutes DH and I kept going back and forth on whether to take it or not, LOL. It would save me some $$ for the rest of the month and chances are the person who lost it won't come back, but rather the next person to use the phone would get it. I wanted to take it really badly, but I ended up leaving it there. I felt like every time I will use it, I would feel like a thief, LOL, since I didn't pay for it.

Do you feel guilty over such things? How about over white lies?
May 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julka View Post
Do you have a strong sense of 'guilt'?

DH was home yesterday (Victoria Day here) and we had a date while my parents babysat the girls. On our way back to pick them up, I went to a public phone in our subway (metro) to call my mom's cell to see if they're home or at the park and when I was dialing, DH noticed there was a transit system metropass for May 2009 laying next to the phone. These passes cost $109/month and are unlimited usage of our public system for the entire month. DH has one of those, but I don't and just pay cash.

Well for some 3 minutes DH and I kept going back and forth on whether to take it or not, LOL. It would save me some $$ for the rest of the month and chances are the person who lost it won't come back, but rather the next person to use the phone would get it. I wanted to take it really badly, but I ended up leaving it there. I felt like every time I will use it, I would feel like a thief, LOL, since I didn't pay for it.

Do you feel guilty over such things? How about over white lies?
I probably would have taken it - I would never keep anything that had any kind of identifying information or if I saw the person that dropped it etc but I would keep cash if I found it (unless it was some large quantity that could be claimed somehow) and I think the pass is similar to cash.
May 19th, 2009, 11:03 AM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's hard to know what to do in that situation, because it's not something that can be easily claimed. I probably would have left it there as well.

Yes, I try my hardest to have a proper sense of guilt. That includes not being overscrupulous, and also not feeling guilty about things that are not my fault. I try to keep my conscience properly informed so that I feel guilt when I should. I think it's one of those things that as you mature in the faith, you feel more of the guilt that you should when you do something to harm your soul. I try to take sin seriously, and I try to make amends when I can... either with someone I've harmed or with God. I try to stick close to Confession. I haven't always, but I am really trying now.

I remember one of my professors in grad school told a story about a friend who had a season pass somewhere that included family members. He told my professor to pretend he was his cousin so he could get him in. My professor refused and said he would pay, and his friend said "Oh c'mon, it's only $2". My professor said, "Exactly, it's only $2. I'm not selling my soul for $2". I really took that story to heart. What seems like a little sin should feel bigger because it's your soul at stake.

Something I confess a lot is telling little white lies. It's just so easy for me to stretch the truth a little or exaggerate, usually it's to make myself sound a little better. So the root of it is pride and yes, I feel guilt over it. But I confess it and try harder the next time. I'm more aware of it now so I'd like to say I do it less and less. But I'm not perfect. Yet.

May 19th, 2009, 11:05 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would have probably picked it up and returned it to the transit authority, with the exact location I found it in case anyone reports losing it.
May 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Julka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
I would have probably picked it up and returned it to the transit authority, with the exact location I found it in case anyone reports losing it.
LOL, yes. I thought of that too late, after we were already far. I told DH, "we should've given it to the worker in the transit booth", where they sell those passes. I guess we left it there in case the person who lost it would've come back and looked for it there. Donno. But yes, we should've thought of that sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy27 View Post
I remember one of my professors in grad school told a story about a friend who had a season pass somewhere that included family members. He told my professor to pretend he was his cousin so he could get him in. My professor refused and said he would pay, and his friend said "Oh c'mon, it's only $2". My professor said, "Exactly, it's only $2. I'm not selling my soul for $2". I really took that story to heart. What seems like a little sin should feel bigger because it's your soul at stake.
I like that! That's a great story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
I probably would have taken it - I would never keep anything that had any kind of identifying information or if I saw the person that dropped it etc but I would keep cash if I found it (unless it was some large quantity that could be claimed somehow) and I think the pass is similar to cash.
Part of me kept thinking the same thing. These passes are interchangable so once you buy one for the $109.00 you can give it to a friend or family member to use if you wanted to, they have no identifying info on them. But I just couldn't, knowing that someone else paid for it, kwim? I would feel like I am cheating the system.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search